• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama ASM comic $60 bucks a piece

378 posts in this topic

this reminds me of the music industry back in the late80's early 90's. one single release would have numerous versions packaged differently. (coloured vinyl, picture discs etc). eventually they stopped it by regulating themselves but i cant see the comics industry doing that.

neil

kinda like the blu-ray and dvd markets, people bought and paid good money a few years ago to get there highly collectable special edition director cut with deleted scenes dvd now are paying good money to get thier highly collectable special edition director cut with deleted scenes blu-ray disk. Its a cycle.

This goes to show that history always repeat itself and greed is always a person_without_enough_empathy. Is it really necessary for Marvel to drag all the speculators back into the hobby again? Sure this will get some press like Cap 25 did, but which group of audience is this really targeting? Yes the speculators...the group of folks that have no business coming into the hobby in the first place...the ones that are known to ruin every market they get into....the ones responsible for the great market crash of the late 90's. Seriously this is deja vu all over again with all them variant covers, dealer incentives, and books selling way above cover price even before they get released. The market has totally reverted back to the early 90's and I don't see a good future for it. I'm glad to see that I've made the right choice to stop buying any new comic releases and I'll definitely gonna be sitting this one out.

Now I don't necessarily agree with this. Yes Marvel saw a marketing opportunity and knew that they could probably sell lots of copies of this book. But the idea behind this is to get people who have never read a comic, or used to read comics and have stopped for whatever reason, to pick up a copy of Amazing Spider-man, historically their most important & iconic character, with hopes that they might enjoy the book and either keep buying the book or buy something else.

As JC pointed out, Marvel is officially catering to the speculators by making it a limited print run, a variant cover and not to mention that they hyped the living out of it too. If they did have the intention of bringing in new readers, they could have easily printed out millions of copies and literally just hand them out during the inauguration. This is simply a case of pure greed and an opportunity to cash in from Marvel's perspective. What kind of message is this sending to anybody that might even remotely consider getting into the hobby? $60 for a book and one that is freshly off the stands? In our current economy, any logical person would look at that and be deterred to consider collecting comics. I can't see how this can even help promote our hobby.

Not saying that Marvel did not properly promote the book to retailers, but it was not offered as a limited edition, unlimited quantities could potentially be purchased. And subsequently there are 2nd & 3rd printings being provided to appease the demand. Those that want to read the book should be able to at cover price.

Just so everyone understands the Marvel tactic, here's the regular cover:

52a5_1.JPG

So if you actually want a copy with Obama on the cover, as any fan, speculator, historian or Obama-ite definitely would, you will need to pay through the nose for a limited, variant edition.

9cdc_1.JPG

I hope someone tries to tell me this is one big coincidence. :roflmao:

So if you actually want a copy with Obama on the cover, as any fan, speculator, historian or Obama-ite definitely would, you will need to pay through the nose for a limited, variant edition.

This statement is inaccurate, there will be copies available at cover price.

Why not charge more for the special cover? If a shop has to order X number of books to get the variant then why not charge a premium? No one is making us buy the book and we all know that it will drop in a few months so just sit back and wait.

I say it's just supply and demand, if someone wants to pay $100 for the book that's their decision and if I have a copy I will gladly sell it for $100 to that guy. Most likely the people looking for this book will not be regular customers for the regulars will see this for what it is a short term prices spike. How many people sold copies of ASM 300 for incredible amounts when Spider-man 3 came out? How many will sell GI Joe books, Transformers and Wolverine books when their movies come out? If someone has the chance to make $30, $40, or $100 on this book I say go for it.

I will tell you exactly why. That guy that spends $100.00 on the book is buying it as an investment, and when the book is $8 in 3 months and no one wants it even at that price and no one will buy it from him, then that is a potential collector lost forever. That guy might be someone not in the hobby and he might be someone who has not been around long enough to see this type of thing happen over and over again. But either way, he is getting screwed over by. Oh sure he doesn't have to buy it, but he doesn't know better and you do. You are choosing to make a quick buck on the item, so don't blame it on the customer.

Where are the Madoff comparisons when they are really valid?

If your going to take that stance then all dealers should tell all collectors that 99 percent of the comics you buy now will be worthless! that modern generic 2.99 comic I buy at the store becomes worthless moneywise as soon as I leave the store. name me one book other than Ultimate Spider-man or the now sinking Captain America in the last ten years that made any good profit? You buy a brand new book at cover for $2.99 and your lucky if the dealer will buy it back from you at 10 cents.The Obama book is good as it`s causing some excitement in an otherwise unexciting times in comics. It tells you how great comics are right now when a cameo of a President is the number 1 hottest comic book.

Theres a big difference between buying a $2.99 book that goes down in value and a $100 book that goes down.

And who in the world thinks they're buying a comic as an investment for $2.99 doh!

Some of us do buy them to read!

Nobody wants to read this junk lol:kidaround:

Issues of ASM haven't been consistently good since the days of Ross Andru and John Romita Sr. I'd much rather buy it for $2.99, sell it for $50 and buy myself a nice 7.0-8.0 Tales of Suspense for my run. :)

Do you have links to these copies presently for sale? You did realize I obviously meant NOW, right, not in 3 months when there are dumpsters full?

The copies are not presently for sale, and won't be until tomorrow when arrive at the shops they are shipped to.

Your statement was that "any fan, speculator, historian or Obama-ite definitely would, you will need to pay through the nose for a limited, variant edition."

And that would be an incorrect statement as posted. I didn't claim that you could go online and find these for sale at cover price.

Do you have links to these copies presently for sale? You did realize I obviously meant NOW, right, not in 3 months when there are dumpsters full?

I think she means the 2nd and 3rd prints. they are available for cover.

:gossip:Andrew is a he;)

And that would make me an insufficiently_thoughtful_person....

And that would make me an insufficiently_thoughtful_person....

Twice even, as I am specifically referring to 1st prints. :baiting:

My point was just because JC can not find these 1st print books at cover price does not mean that "any" will not be able to.

It`s doing good for the comic industry as I have had 3 non-comic collectors who know I collect comics ask me today where do I get this comic and have asked me directions to the LCS. for what it`s worth, two of three non-comic collectors were females! lol.

Why can't the media hype up my Hulk #9 instead?

Also, that explains why there is a Michelle Obama comic in the Previews this month. I just thought they had gone off the deep end mentally and forgotten the typical demographic of comic book collectors.

Also, IMO, the Presedential Material comics were done really well. The McCain one was actually a really fun way to read about his past, which has that 'action hero' flair to it.

Anyone know what the variant to regular edition ratio for this book is?

1:10? 1:25? 1:50?

I guess I should clarify..i know others have posted this also. You had to order more copies of ASM 583 than 575 or something and then you could order as many 583 vairants as you wanted...the problem is that ASM sales are slightly down and most retailers didn't order more and also that many of them didn't know it was an obama variant that was going to be released. They just recently found out and that only allowed them access to the 2nd print. None of my local 3 LCS and 3 more about 20 miles away ordered enough to get even one copy of the variant. I hope this helps.