• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama ASM comic $60 bucks a piece

378 posts in this topic

Second printing of the variant has the same cover except the blue background will now be gold/yellow. Way to cause more confusion and ordering chaos.

BTW, it is not a 1 in ?? anything cover.

As a retailer, if you ordered a superior number of the regular 583 as matched against some other book (that I fail to remember at this time), then you could order as many of the Obama variant as you wanted. You could have ordered 1 or 1000 or more if you wanted them (not saying someone did, but maybe).

Second printing of the variant has the same cover except the blue background will now be gold/yellow. Way to cause more confusion and ordering chaos.

BTW, it is not a 1 in ?? anything cover.

As a retailer, if you ordered a superior number of the regular 583 as matched against some other book (that I fail to remember at this time), then you could order as many of the Obama variant as you wanted. You could have ordered 1 or 1000 or more if you wanted them (not saying someone did, but maybe).

ah gotcha...

This comic book if it has a rare variant will be worth a lot of money in the future.

Collectors of presidential materials are out there in mass and are not just comic collectors. Get Obama to sign one and name your price..............................

Look at MLK issues

First Beatles

John Kennedy etc

Any president

You can't go wrong buying this book for your collection. If you want to sell it down the road you will get your money back and then some. I know hundreds of people from my friends state of Mississippi that want one to frame and have called me. Spider-man and Obama how cool is that.

I remember the Green Lantern drug issues that everybody hated.............GL 76 is so revered now.

The copies are not presently for sale, and won't be until tomorrow when arrive at the shops they are shipped to.

Hey, like I said, I was talking about now.

I realize the supply will increase later and that demand will tank longterm, but if you want to buy one right now, you will pay through the nose.

I remember the Green Lantern drug issues that everybody hated.............GL 76 is so revered now.

Did you really mean to write this about the award-winning, immediately reprinted in mini-TPB, critically acclaimed series?

Very few people were buying GL #76 and other surrounding issues, with the notion of them being items that could become of significant value. And the idea of keeping the books in good condition was a brand new concept at the time. Today, if you have a 9.4 copy of this ASM with Obama on the cover it will be fairly worthless because you need 9.6/9.8. 9.6 and 9.8 are the status quo now, rather than the exception as with GL #76. If you have a GL #76 in 9.6 or 9.8 you have a genuinely rare item. Can the same be said with this ASM book in 9.6 or 9.8? :whatev:

Collectors of presidential material will be in on it, of course. But, again, much of the presidential items of the past are valuable because at the time very few people saved items, and rarer still were kept items that were in nice condition. Every ASM Obama book will be in nice condition. Those buying this book with the inclination of "collectors item", non-comic fan buyers, out number the normal readership most likely. When that happens, it can be nothing else besides a manufactured collectible.

This book will not be rare. The majority will be 9.4-9.8 copies. That is 2 of the 3 principle items right there. The only other one is "demand", which I have no confidence will remain high several months from now...and defnitely not several years from now.

Anyone know what the variant to regular edition ratio for this book is?

1:10? 1:25? 1:50?

I guess I should clarify..i know others have posted this also. You had to order more copies of ASM 583 than 575 or something and then you could order as many 583 vairants as you wanted...the problem is that ASM sales are slightly down and most retailers didn't order more and also that many of them didn't know it was an obama variant that was going to be released. They just recently found out and that only allowed them access to the 2nd print. None of my local 3 LCS and 3 more about 20 miles away ordered enough to get even one copy of the variant. I hope this helps.

This was my point since Spider-man has dropped in sales at my LCS (no one likes the reboot) they will not get a copy. If they did it would be priced higher than cover price. What price I don't know but in the past they have run in store auctions and let the market decide.

Just a question. If anyone here could secure a copy for cover price, what would you sell it for?

Did you really mean to write this about the award-winning, immediately reprinted in mini-TPB, critically acclaimed series?

Hi JC...................GL 76 was controversial. If you lived in the bible belt your parents did not want you to read about drugs since that might tempt you...............ha ha .The people who did buy the book read it to death. Thus good luck finding high grade. The TPB was printed because of the low print run of this issue and the witch burnings that made copies scarce. I know I bought 3 of them and bagged and boarded them and have stored them in the basement ever since..........I was able to see the future.............like you :hi:

This comic book if it has a rare variant will be worth a lot of money in the future.

Collectors of presidential materials are out there in mass and are not just comic collectors. Get Obama to sign one and name your price..............................

Look at MLK issues

First Beatles

John Kennedy etc

Any president

You can't go wrong buying this book for your collection. If you want to sell it down the road you will get your money back and then some. I know hundreds of people from my friends state of Mississippi that want one to frame and have called me. Spider-man and Obama how cool is that.

oh yeah? then how come I can't sell my Reagans Raiders comic books??wink.gif

i have little doubt that they could sell millions of these if comics were marketed in as many places as comics used to be. i'm not so sure the 70 year old church going lady with her sunday hat (ok, i'm pulling a non-negative stereotype from where i live, shoot me) is going to schlep out of her way to find a creepy comic shop selling it though. her 25 year old grandson who hasn't read a spidey comic in 15 years might.

Hi JC...................GL 76 was controversial. If you lived in the bible belt your parents did not want you to read about drugs since that might tempt you...............ha ha .The people who did buy the book read it to death. Thus good luck finding high grade. The TPB was printed because of the low print run of this issue and the witch burnings that made copies scarce. I know I bought 3 of them and bagged and boarded them and have stored them in the basement ever since..........I was able to see the future.............like you :hi:

#76 wasn't a drug issue. It was #85 and 86.

Yeah My LCS is getting in 15 copies. and He is putting aside all 15 copies for his regulars at cover price and Yep I am one of them. My wife is excited about the book..... me ehhh.

Yeah My LCS is getting in 15 copies. and He is putting aside all 15 copies for his regulars at cover price and Yep I am one of them. My wife is excited about the book..... me ehhh.

That's cool, my feeling, too. I was talking to the manager at Atomic's (the Chandler location) today and he said he had 82 copies available until some time yesterday and he let people walk in and pre-pay for a copy.

#76 wasn't a drug issue. It was #85 and 86.

You are right I got my issues mixed up. thanks.

'Starting with issue #76, Dennis O'Neil took over scripting duties and Neal Adams took over as artist. This issue is one of the comics which is considered to have ushered in the Bronze Age of Comic Books. It is worth noting that Neal Adams actually drew his first cover in Green Lantern (vol. 2) #63 in the late Silver Age. The collaboration of O'Neil and Adams produced the most famous and celebrated runs on Green Lantern. Julius Schwartz remained editor and hand-selected the two to revitalize the title, whose sales had been slipping.

Schwartz invited O’Neil to take over Green Lantern. Wanting to represent his own political beliefs in comics and take on social issues of the late sixties and early seventies, O’Neil came up with the idea of pitting Hal Jordan, who as an intergalactic cop stood for not only Law & Order but The Establishment, against Oliver Queen, who O’Neil had characterized as a profoundly outspoken liberal and stood for the Counter-Culture Movement. The first issue he wrote had Green Lantern capturing a street "punk" who was pushing around a man. All around him, people start throwing things at the bewildered Jordan. As he steps in to attack, he is stopped by Green Arrow, who explains that the man he defended was a slum lord "fat cat" and goes even further to show Lantern the conditions of the slum. At the roof, in a now famous scene, an old African-American man grills Jordan as to why he has not done much for the "black skins" of his own planet while helping out other different colored aliens of other planets.

Three panels from the racial discussion in the O'Neil/Adams run in Green Lantern (vol. 2) #76.

Following Schwartz's approval of the story, Neal Adams was brought in to replace Gil Kane, much to the surprise of Denny O'Neil. And yet, the pair had already been working together on Batman (where Adams successfully reconstructed the character into a more dramatic "Dark Knight"), Adams had been the one to redesign Green Arrow's costume, and the artist had a growing reputation for one who did not back down and pushed for innovative, good ideas and therefore, was the perfect candidate to work with O'Neil."