• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama ASM comic $60 bucks a piece

378 posts in this topic

My LCS just called me tonite,and said"don't worry about the sign in the window stating no Obama variants " He is saving me one at cover price :o

I love my LCS :cloud9:

Where is your LCS? I'm trying to find good ones in southern California.

Brian

Very few people were buying GL #76 and other surrounding issues, with the notion of them being items that could become of significant value. And the idea of keeping the books in good condition was a brand new concept at the time. Today, if you have a 9.4 copy of this ASM with Obama on the cover it will be fairly worthless because you need 9.6/9.8. 9.6 and 9.8 are the status quo now, rather than the exception as with GL #76. If you have a GL #76 in 9.6 or 9.8 you have a genuinely rare item. Can the same be said with this ASM book in 9.6 or 9.8? :whatev:

Collectors of presidential material will be in on it, of course. But, again, much of the presidential items of the past are valuable because at the time very few people saved items, and rarer still were kept items that were in nice condition. Every ASM Obama book will be in nice condition. Those buying this book with the inclination of "collectors item", non-comic fan buyers, out number the normal readership most likely. When that happens, it can be nothing else besides a manufactured collectible.

This book will not be rare. The majority will be 9.4-9.8 copies. That is 2 of the 3 principle items right there. The only other one is "demand", which I have no confidence will remain high several months from now...and defnitely not several years from now.

I don't think anyone could have summed up the damned near entire copper/modern collecting mindset as succinctly.

Collectors of presidential material will be in on it, of course. But, again, much of the presidential items of the past are valuable because at the time very few people saved items, and rarer still were kept items that were in nice condition. Every ASM Obama book will be in nice condition. Those buying this book with the inclination of "collectors item", non-comic fan buyers, out number the normal readership most likely. When that happens, it can be nothing else besides a manufactured collectible.

This book will not be rare. The majority will be 9.4-9.8 copies. That is 2 of the 3 principle items right there. The only other one is "demand", which I have no confidence will remain high several months from now...and defnitely not several years from now.

I don't think anyone could have summed up the damned near entire copper/modern collecting mindset as succinctly.

Just a little information about modern presidential items, my grandfather got rolls of 1964 Kennedy half dollars that are worthless and they are over 40 years old. the other presidential stuff that is worth money came out in a time that people didn`t collect the stuff.

My LCS just called me tonite,and said"don't worry about the sign in the window stating no Obama variants " He is saving me one at cover price :o

I love my LCS :cloud9:

Where is your LCS? I'm trying to find good ones in southern California.

Brian

cover price... all my customers are getting them at 35% off cover price :o

well sure enough i went to the shop i started this thread about, he ordered 55 books and he was selling them for 60 bucks a pop. but he was giving away a cool Obama t-shirt with every purchase. he had 13 book left out of 55.

i will say the guy does have a great shop, anything you could want comic related, he has it. and he must know what he's doing cause he's been in the same location for over 10 years and his store always has customers.

I would love to know what the total print run for this variant cover was
actually, not sure of the print run, but we were able to order as many as we wanted... (shrug)

I just called my LCS to see if they had been able to reserve any copies for me of the Obama cover. Ends up they didn't get any either. I'll get one or two of the regular cover. Good thing I went ahead and bought 3 off of eBay or I wouldn't have gotten any of them.

The value of this comic will quickly die after a few months. My friend delivers papers and when Obama won the election each national newspaper was worth a bunch of money like around $60 a pop. He was smart enough to hoard some copies and sell them on ebay. However, after only a few days prices travelled down to only a few dollars each. I'm sure the novelty and collector's value of this comic will take the same path. There is no comparision to GL#76 to be made, thats like comparing gold to iron.

Ha, murphy's law.

Diamond shorted me all my regular copies of ASM 583 today.

They did give me an equal number of batman confidentials accidentally though.

(as an aside, when we open our boxes and get a bunch extra of something, we immediately go...uh oh...what are we going to be short on).

Diamond regrets the error and should have me my replacements by friday. I bet they will be damaged though.

On top of that, I had a ebayer put a claim in for 160 buck item he never said he got, sent it overseas...I am tired of chargebacks from international buyers....and so ends my sending internationally except to known people.

Ha, murphy's law.

Diamond shorted me all my regular copies of ASM 583 today.

They did give me an equal number of batman confidentials accidentally though.

(as an aside, when we open our boxes and get a bunch extra of something, we immediately go...uh oh...what are we going to be short on).

Diamond regrets the error and should have me my replacements by friday. I bet they will be damaged though.

On top of that, I had a ebayer put a claim in for 160 buck item he never said he got, sent it overseas...I am tired of chargebacks from international buyers....and so ends my sending internationally except to known people.

did you get your obama copies? they were on an 8000 code, so should have been picked seperately (shrug)