• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The David Toth Collection
1 1

278 posts in this topic

Thanks for the heads up, Andrew. (thumbs u

I just looked at the auction listings and I take it that these first few books from the collection are the ones being sold in multi-book lots?

I think it's the single book lots. I was told by my contact that they had not started w/ group lots yet and they added them today so I think it's the following:

Action 258 up to 267

Aquaman 3 up to 10

Batman 129 up to 138

Detective 274 up to 281, 282 & 284 ??? , 286

The lots that do have pics already look right.

Hey and I was pretty close in my grading. Gettin Better!! :acclaim::whee::acclaim:

Have to wait and see on some of the bigger books. :wishluck:

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

All are from around 1960 and will be sold raw. Heritage felt this books helped represent the collection's overall grade.

??? I thought you said the grades on these books were pretty decent? What kinds of grades has Heritage given them? Are any going to be graded?

I've advised them with the current popularity of GL that more of them should be graded so we'll see. :wishluck:

Andrew, I think you've had enough experience with the grading process and the market to get a sense of whether the books are worth slabbing or not. You should TELL Heritage what you want, not assume that they will act in your best interest.

All are from around 1960 and will be sold raw. Heritage felt this books helped represent the collection's overall grade.

??? I thought you said the grades on these books were pretty decent? What kinds of grades has Heritage given them? Are any going to be graded?

I've advised them with the current popularity of GL that more of them should be graded so we'll see. :wishluck:

Andrew, I think you've had enough experience with the grading process and the market to get a sense of whether the books are worth slabbing or not. You should TELL Heritage what you want, not assume that they will act in your best interest.

I'm sorry I meant that all the current lots were raw.

Books are being sent in for grading assuming the grade and the value of the book warranted it. I understand what your saying Tim but there is a trade off in getting books graded in that the fees do start to add up. If all my Dad's books had been graded I don't think there would have been very much money left. I did make some specific requests of books being graded but I did defer to Heritage's experience on some.

Andrew

Action 258 up to 267

Aquaman 3 up to 10

Batman 129 up to 138

Detective 274 up to 281, 282 & 284 ??? , 286

Andrew

I was correct the lots already have the tag line included, so the above books are them. :gossip:

Andrew

:news:

The JLA #1 came back as a 7.0 :sorry::frustrated:

87296.jpg

A bit disapointed I was off by a grade, but after looking at the pic again and calling for the graders notes I can see what I missed. doh!

It will go in the Feb. Sig. Auction.

Let you know when I get anymore info.

Andrew

More Helen G. Books this week, lot of GL and JLA.

I'm not sure if it's my grading that's really bad or are they under grading some of these books? hm???

I do know from my contact that on raw books they tend to slightly under grade, but 6.0 on the GL #7? doh!

If I'm missing something let me know. I can only learn from my mistakes. :popcorn:

Andrew

90723.jpg.5f6e53b850c7212650c8e85072c4d8a0.jpg

I'm not sure if it's my grading that's really bad or are they under grading some of these books? hm???

I do know from my contact that on raw books they tend to slightly under grade, but 6.0 on the GL #7? doh!

If I'm missing something let me know. I can only learn from my mistakes. :popcorn:

Andrew

I was wondering about this one. Is there a stain on the back cover? Interior damage?

Oh yeah, feel free to remove any mention of this book in your posts. (thumbs u

Andrew

Damn, seeing this GL #7 scan again makes me regret not chasing it further.

Andrew, do you have any word on how the B&B #28 graded out?

I know, I was really stumped on the # 7.

I'll e-mail the consigner and find out about the B&B 28, I didn't even know about the five CGC'd books that are in this weeks auction. Been busy w/ the holiday got to get back on the ball. doh!:tonofbricks:

Andrew

I do know from my contact that on raw books they tend to slightly under grade

I'm not sure a lot of collectors would agree with that assessment.

I can back Tim up on that. Clink is far better at grading raw books based on my experience than Heritage.

I do know from my contact that on raw books they tend to slightly under grade

I'm not sure a lot of collectors would agree with that assessment.

I can back Tim up on that. Clink is far better at grading raw books based on my experience than Heritage.

I don't know Tim, between my dad and I we've bought quite a few raw books from them and I don't feel any were grossly misrepresented. I've not had any of them graded yet to see, but I feel they would live up to the grade if not slightly higher.

I was just going by what I was told and it would be in their best interest to go down one grade or so on the raw books. Someone buys a book they advertise as a 6.0 send it in comes back a 5.0 not very good for business, on the other hand comes back a 7.0 - 7.5 very good. I would be very interested to see what that GL would come back as and when I send some in I'll report back.

Also in the case of my dad's books they were pretty spot on with what they thought the grades would come back as. But I guess when all the books are 9.2 -9.4's it's not that hard. lol lol :insane:

Andrew

Andrew, do you have any word on how the B&B #28 graded out?

Got in touch with the consigner kimik, here goes:

B&B 28 4.0 way under what I thought :frustrated::sorry:

B&B 29 7.0 about what I thought meh

B&B 30 7.0 about what I thought meh

Not sure about PQ but I do have the Cert. #'s if there's any way to look them up let me know ( besides adding them to a Reg. set. ).

Little disappointed but what can you do. In the pics I took I think the 28 looks way better than the 30 maybe something on the back cover? :screwy:

Andrew

No offense and I originally thought this thread served a purpose, but has this now just become a promotional thread? Instead of talking about the original collection, we're now on to talking about a collection that MstrTech helped bring to Heritage?

No offense and I originally thought this thread served a purpose, but has this now just become a promotional thread? Instead of talking about the original collection, we're now on to talking about a collection that MstrTech helped bring to Heritage?

Most threads stray from the main topic. This is a great thread, keep it going.

Sorry you feel this way Transplant, I'd be more than willing to discuss my dad's collection at length with anyone interested. But as interest in my dad's collection has waned a bit, needed something new to talk about.

The collection's are indeed very closely related as they both came from the same place, both are OO collections and the new collection is what is currently for sale. I thought most people would be interested in picking up some books that maybe they had missed out on in the Toth Collection in slightly lower grade, but from almost an identical source.

People seem to want to know about what's new and exciting and currently available for purchase. I've been mainly answering questions as they arise not am not trying to shamelessly self promote, but merely providing the info that people seem to want.

I've tried to encourage people to post their purchases from my dad's collection and even gone as far as asking for people that purchased raw books to post grades if they choose to have them graded to no avail. If you'd like to discuss my dad's collection than lets do it.

rantrant:sorry:

Andrew

Keep up the good work, Andrew, in bringing new collections out of the woodworks and onto the market. In fact, you might want to try posting some books here next time first to test the waters before taking the books to Heritage. :wishluck: