• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The David Toth Collection
1 1

278 posts in this topic

Keep up the good work, Andrew, in bringing new collections out of the woodworks and onto the market. In fact, you might want to try posting some books here next time first to test the waters before taking the books to Heritage. :wishluck:

If the collection wasn't quite as large and requiring so much leg work I definitely would have done that. But being separated from the collection by over 1,200 miles the logistics just would not have worked. I'm still getting my feet wet, but if something else comes along I may try it. (thumbs u

I still have a lot of my dad's books to move though. hmlol

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

I do know from my contact that on raw books they tend to slightly under grade

I'm not sure a lot of collectors would agree with that assessment.

I can back Tim up on that. Clink is far better at grading raw books based on my experience than Heritage.

I don't know Tim, between my dad and I we've bought quite a few raw books from them and I don't feel any were grossly misrepresented. I've not had any of them graded yet to see, but I feel they would live up to the grade if not slightly higher.

My experience has been that if I deduct one grade from the listed raw grade, I get what I'm expecting. That seems consistent with others' experience as well. But if you and your dad have had better experiences, that's great.

I was just going by what I was told and it would be in their best interest to go down one grade or so on the raw books. Someone buys a book they advertise as a 6.0 send it in comes back a 5.0 not very good for business, on the other hand comes back a 7.0 - 7.5 very good. I would be very interested to see what that GL would come back as and when I send some in I'll report back.

You'd think so, but the history of comic collecting is mostly made up of dealers who overgrade their books, on the expectation that most buyers won't know the difference or won't make a fuss. Also, many are extremely short-sighted and only care about the immediate profit and don't worry about long-term impact. I'm not saying that Heritage is these things, but when money's at stake, it's not surprising that when in doubt, the dealer will err on the high side.

I totally agree with you that solid grading or undergrading pays off, but most don't seem to see that. Flaming Telepath gets great prices for his raw sales on these boards because people know the books are either spot on or undergraded.

Also in the case of my dad's books they were pretty spot on with what they thought the grades would come back as. But I guess when all the books are 9.2 -9.4's it's not that hard. lol lol :insane:

(thumbs u

Hey everyone,

Soooo it's been a while and just wanted to come and check in, didn't feel like waiting for the 10yr anniversary. Sorry for dredging up an old thread but I really didn't want to start a new one, plus I'm a little rusty at this. So if you could forgive me that would be great. :grin:

It has been a roller coaster ride 7 yrs.

My dad is just coming out of his 2nd major medical event in so many years. But he's on the mend now and things are looking up.

I just got married in July and have recently returned from our honeymoon. :cloud9:

As I'm sure all of you can imagine with all the drama we've had, we kinda had to drop out of the comic scene for a while. But now that things are coming around I hope to get back into the hobby.

So as to keep this thread on topic:

DOES ANYONE STILL HAVE ANY OF OUR BOOKS????

I'm really interested if anyone is still holding on to them. It would be great to know that they went to good new homes. I've popped in here and there over the years and still see that we have some strong support and I really appreciate it. Especially with my abrupt departure from the boards.

So I'll try and check back in a little more frequently from here on out, but I am still dealing with a lot of my dad's medical issues. So if I don't respond for a couple days I'll be back. I'm more than willing to answer any new questions or old questions that may come up and if for any reason no one is interested I'm fine with letting this thread die once again. lol

Thanks again everyone

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Nice to hear from you. Hope your dad's doing better, and congrats on getting married.

Lots of people still have your Dad's books, although many got cracked, pressed and resubbed after their initial sale on Heritage. Which isn't surprising considering how nice the books were.

I have to admit I've sold many of the Toth books I owned as my collection was cleaned out by an ambitious collector, but I still have all of the Adventures.

They are great books. There's a thread in this forum about best non-pedigree collections, and I said that the Toth collection would rank among my top choices of OO collections that for whatever reason didn't get a pedigree designation from CGC.

I have the Adventure 363 9.4 from the collection. I had no idea it was one of the Toth Books until I cross referenced my copy with your detailed listings earlier in the thread. Don't remember where I bought it though.....

Adventure%20Comics%20363%20GCG%209.4_zpsyaznhaxn.jpg

I honestly never see Toth books offered. I suspect, with the proliferation of pressing, much of this collection has been resubmitted numerous times and the Toth tag has been lost. Also, there has been so many non CGC recognized 'pedigrees' coming to market that these tags all get diluted. It is difficult to separate the worthy from the silly. Without the name on the CGC label, it is difficult to maintain the heritage.

Hi Andrew,

I have been fascinated by your Dad's collection ever since first seeing all the incredible high grade books. I have sometimes wondered if he had favorite titles or even favorite individual issues? My childhood collecting was full of books special to me and hopefully that was also true for your Dad.

Ian

I have to admit I've sold many of the Toth books I owned as my collection was cleaned out by an ambitious collector, but I still have all of the Adventures.

Were you lucky enough to have nab and held onto the Adventure #283 which has now become a super hot book with the current movie hype about General Zod? :wishluck:

I have the Adventure 363 9.4 from the collection. I had no idea it was one of the Toth Books until I cross referenced my copy with your detailed listings earlier in the thread. Don't remember where I bought it though.....

Adventure%20Comics%20363%20GCG%209.4_zpsyaznhaxn.jpg

Gorgeous book

I want a Toth now after reading this thread

WOW!!

Great to hear from so many familiar posters and hello to any newcomers. :applause:

Little disappointed to hear that following the books has now become so difficult. I know we discussed early on that dealers were buying up the books and re-subbing them was just kinda hopeful that they would have at least mentioned the lineage. But I guess when your just in it for a quick buck you don't care whose toes your stepping on.

Glad some of you hung on to them. :golfclap:

I still wonder if the gentlemen that purchased the B&B 28-30 still kept them together. hm Would be nice.

To answer your question steelcity:

I've commented numerous times, but I like repeating it lol , that my dad did indeed read all the books that were sold in the 08'-10' auctions. I know he especially enjoyed JLA but as far as an overall story arch or particular book that was his favorite, I've never asked. But I will the next time I see him (should be Mon.) If I had to guess I would almost say it would have been the books that were in the worst condition, but that's just speculation and wouldn't hold up very well since his JLA books were the best.

Anything else I can answer fire away.

Andrew

Were you lucky enough to have nab and held onto the Adventure #283 which has now become a super hot book with the current movie hype about General Zod? :wishluck:

No, I only collect Adventures that feature the Legion of Super-Heroes.

I've commented numerous times, but I like repeating it lol , that my dad did indeed read all the books that were sold in the 08'-10' auctions. I know he especially enjoyed JLA

He was a very careful reader, then. I bought a lot of the early JLAs and they were really immaculate.

No, I only collect Adventures that feature the Legion of Super-Heroes.

That's just excellent taste, Tim! (thumbs u

The Legion were by far one of my favorite characters from the SA DC universe.