• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The David Toth Collection
1 1

278 posts in this topic

By the way my dad is so excited about his March Sig. Auction purchase, we just recived everything this past weekend it was like X-mas morning :cloud9: and for now he's # 1 on the WDC&S Reg. Set ^^

Talk to ya later. :grin: (thumbs u

Nothing like a happy dance after a big purchase! :banana:

Hey Andrew, I was surprised to see how much the grades of the books dropped after the first few batches that were listed in the first few auctions. I guess I'm starting to understand why CGC didn't give the collection pedigree status, although I still believe it may merit that just from the grades of the books from the hard-to-find late 1950s/early 1960s.

Still, the typical pattern of most collections is that the earlier books, particularly from the late 1950s/early 1960s (to the extent there are even any books from this period), are in poor condition, and then predictably show an improvement as the years pass with the best copies being from the 1965-1969 period. This is usually attributable to the owner taking better care of the books and also the growing consciousness of comic collecting and preserving books.

I'm curious why the grades of the books even from the earlier period seem to show so many different extremes, and then why the later books, when everyone else's collection starts getting better, seem to significantly drop off. Did your dad change his collecting or storage habits significantly?

Sorry for the slow response Tim. Been kinda busy. :tonofbricks:

I think it mainly has to due w/ point of sale. In the early days my dad would purchase the books from the confectionary were his mom worked, probably not a huge supply of books there. My dad did tell me he always picked the best copy he could get his hands on. Then I'm guessing as popularity grew the store got more books.

As to the later books after his short break from collecting in college he started again while in the Air Force in Germany, so the books had to get all the way over there and then back in one piece. After he was transfered state side he was buying them at Dragon's Lair in Dayton, Ohio so supply to pick out the better books was good.

Storage never really seemed to change as I've mentioned before, he had them all in polybags, no boards, in long boxes filled to the brim.

Hope that helps. Be happy to answer any more questions. :grin: (thumbs u

I'd like to thank posters both pro & con for your comments. While my dad and I knew that our collection was not a “slam dunk” we did think we had a pretty good chance. Especially given the fact that, unlike the grading criteria, they do seem to publish what will qualify your collection as a Pedigree. So we didn't make the cut, oh well, doesn't change the grades.

I am a bit biased on the subject, as I'm sure most of you would be, based on the fact that it is sentimental subject. I'm sure if any of you were to sell your OO collection you'd feel it “deserved a Pedigree”.

To those of you who do not feel that it meets the criteria I thank you for your interest in the collection and your entitled to your opinion. To those of you who do thank you, I hope you will enjoy these books as much as my dad did over all these years, and who knows w/ market acceptance and time maybe we'll get what we desire.

I do plan w/ any future sales to include a note about there pedigree and Heritage has decided to start calling it “The David N. Toth Pedigree” in future sales much as they did w/ the Slobodian Pedigree.

Thanks again. :applause:

Andrew :grin:

Andrew, very well said! And YES thanks to you many will enjoy these books just as you and your Father have. I do feel the Toth collecting story, the passion (than and now) and just the Father/Son camaraderie all make for a great foundation (argument in my humble opinion) for a Pedigree designation.

All the best with your collection

Eric

Came back recently and toward the end of the month there will be some ungraded lots of JLA, GL, & Flash; some singles and some group lots. :grin: (thumbs u

1. Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 86 NM+(9.6) 0912535001

2. Superboy 122 NM(9.4) 0912535002

Edited by MstrTech

Came back recently and toward the end of the month there will be some ungraded lots of JLA, GL, & Flash; some singles and some group lots. :grin: (thumbs u

Any early issues of GL or JLA?

Any early issues of GL or JLA?

The Earliest GL I see is #24 and the JLA starts at #40.

:grin: (thumbs u