• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The David Toth Collection
1 1

278 posts in this topic

I cant remember exactly what they were except they were nearly ALL much more than I was willing to pay! But, as you know, Heritage can get top dolar, but also takes a huge bite unless you know upfront to work out a better deal. You knew. The Toths may not have in time to save 15% off the top. And with the sums the collection sold for 15% more could have been 40-50K more.

I cant remember exactly what they were except they were nearly ALL much more than I was willing to pay! But, as you know, Heritage can get top dolar, but also takes a huge bite unless you know upfront to work out a better deal. You knew. The Toths may not have in time to save 15% off the top. And with the sums the collection sold for 15% more could have been 40-50K more.

I`m confident in saying that even after factoring in the differential in fees (and I`m sure Heritage didn`t charge the full seller`s commission, even if the Toths didn`t know to ask for a discount), on average they did better selling on Heritage than they would`ve on CL, CC or Pedigree.

:signofftopic: I would totally agree with that. It seems that DCs just don't get the love on Comic Link that they do on Heritage for some reason. The wierd part of it is anyone spending that type of money on books has to know about CL.

On topic: How many long boxes do you think you have left and how many of them are graded. My advice is just don't get impatient with the process. Comic books neither eat nor sleep and patience in selling will net you a lot more cash than selling them in chunks or selling to a dealer.

David,

Welcome to the boards. Such fantastic books your dad collected. Will they be sold exclusively on Heritage?

I can only imagine the feeding frenzy if you were to sell some on these boards.

They remaining books not already w/ Heritage have sorta already been Inherited by me. Haven't quite decided what to do. I was waiting for all the Heritage stuff to move then I'll make a decision. :grin:

Selling them through the boards would be crazy, unless you're really into aggravation and lots of low-balling.

Moving them through the big auction houses is the way to go.

Responding to bolded part

Not necessarily. I've seen some sellers here price books firm and still sell bunches of them. Flaming_Telepath's Mildenhall Collection comes to mind.

I'm not saying don't sell on Heritage. Obviously, the books have done well there. I'd just like the opp to buy some of these books here on the boards and I think a quality collection like this one, even with books priced firm would do very well here.

Just my 2c

thanx. Now after many of the early HG DCs have sold, and you understand more about the whole process of converting a collection into $$$, do you feel Heritage was the right choice? I think I speak for many of us in wondering, when the time comes, which avenue would be the most profitable, easiest, or combination of both.

I agree w/ Tim that Heritage was defitnely the right choice. (thumbs u

But I will say that being a bit nieve to the whole process, we didn't really understand what we should/could ask for. There are defitnely things my dad and I would do different.

We did get a lower sellers commision.

That's all kid stuff, which no one wants. But just because I'm a nice guy, I'd be willing to pay cover price in order to get all those unwanted Disney books off your hands.

Are there any Dell Turoks and Tarzans, by any chance?

I'll have to check, mabye Tarzans but not sure.

It really depends on what kind of grades the BA Marvels are, and whether you're talking early BA (1970-1974) or late BA (everything after). If you think the early BAs would consistently grade out CGC 9.6 and higher, they can be worth quite a bit, even the non-keys. Even in 9.4 a lot of them would be worth decent money. If a lot might grade out 9.8, you might actually get more than for a lot of the SAs. But I'm guessing that you know this already.

For Marvels and BA (Marvel and DC), you wouldn't necessarily need to go through Heritage, either. They were definitely the right choice for the SA DCs. But for Marvels and BAs, you could consider eBay or Comiclink or Pedigree's auctions. If you wanted to just do fixed-price consignments (which I would not recommend), then you could consider eBay, Comiclink, Pedigree, or HighGrade, off the top of my head.

Some are in really good shape my X-men 93 graded 9.6 and that was the under copy. I have good runs in good shape, I'm pretty confident most would at least be 9.2 w/ many way over. Like I said just wait'n to see what happens. :grin:

On topic: How many long boxes do you think you have left and how many of them are graded. My advice is just don't get impatient with the process. Comic books neither eat nor sleep and patience in selling will net you a lot more cash than selling them in chunks or selling to a dealer.

I was waiting for someone to get to this Jackcsco. I don't have a complete inventory yet. When my dad and I started buying in bulk, we sorta just left everything in the box it came in. lol This sale has really motivated us to clean up our act.

35+ long boxes of Marvel (thumbs u

22+ long boxes of DC hm

? not sure about other pub. still working on it. :tonofbricks:

We only had a few graded but they were all to keep. We thought if the collection got pedigreed, we wanted a few in holders.

We only had a few graded but they were all to keep. We thought if the collection got pedigreed, we wanted a few in holders.

Andrew, that would of been so cool. Your books, with your designated Pedigree on them, it couldn't of been sweeter!

That would of been a very elite club to belong to :sorry:

Also I'd like to point out that after out initial meeting w/ Heritage there was about 6 months worth of debating. I did research with a number of other auction houses and determined Heritage was the best way to go. (thumbs u

Tim,

Why in the world is this collection not able to get Pedigree status. With all the small collections that they given them out to, it seems this one would be a slam dunk. I know it is not all an original collection but good God, the stuff that has sold on Heritage alone is impressive.

The good thing is if they ever give it status any book in a holder would be traceable all the way back to the Toth's. That is the beauty of slabs.

Andrew,

I'll place my order today for one box of DC.... no make that 22. (thumbs u

Sad to see this.

Action #280 Toth copy:

ADVCAZ3FWSICAHADTIVCA65KFM7CAY0JUEL.jpg

Action #280 Toth copy, up for sale at well over three times the Heritage sale price, along with a "can't see why it isn't a 9.6" description:

Act_280_94.jpg

I don't blame the buyer for doing what he can to improve its grade or CGC for giving it a higher grade after, I suppose, some process has been performed on the book.

It just sends a tremor through the confidence of the comic collecting world that this does happen.

The difference between a 9.0 and 9.4 for a 10c DC is HUGE in terms of money and desirability. It's not like they were graded years apart.

Unless something is done to address why this happens - just some kind of explanation - I think damage to the hobby will happen long term. For an individual known book from a collection such as Toth, big grade bumps are easy to spot when they happen.

I wonder how many of us are owning CGC 9.0 or similar books that have big upgrade potential? Is this a good or a bad thing? Trust of an established grade vs potential monetary gain?

We all know grading is subjective but a professional grade is a professional grade. If CGC change their mind on a grade wouldn't it be nice to see on the label an explanation that the grade has altered and why.

Perhaps then we will all feel a little more confident about the integrity of our CGC books.

I suppose the flaw in my reasoning is that CGC may not realize they have the same book again. Different if the Toth name was on the label.

Wouldn`t have made any difference. Many pedigreed books have come before CGC and still got a different grade upon resub.

Not a real big deal. We knew there would be some flippers. :whistle:

But where is this up for sale and are they noting that it came from the Toth collection.

That is are biggest concern that these books don’t just get lost in the shuffle. I was disappointed that the JLA #1 on E-Bay didn’t have a notation in it. As I understand it market acceptance may help us achieve pedigree status. (thumbs u

I have a complete list of all the cert. numbers and what was consigned to Heritage if anyone has any questions about the authenticity of what they’ve bought being in the Toth collection just PM me and I’ll verify. :grin: (thumbs u

Tim,

Why in the world is this collection not able to get Pedigree status. With all the small collections that they given them out to, it seems this one would be a slam dunk. I know it is not all an original collection but good God, the stuff that has sold on Heritage alone is impressive.

The good thing is if they ever give it status any book in a holder would be traceable all the way back to the Toth's. That is the beauty of slabs.

Andrew,

I'll place my order today for one box of DC.... no make that 22. (thumbs u

All of the items up for sale and that have been submitted to CGC have been OO. :grin:

And I may take you up on that offer. lol

Edited by MstrTech

That Action 280 is on the WW comics website which means it was probably pressed but they are still toting it as being part of the David Toth Collection.

The biggest thing that many of the DC collectors noted immediately upon seeing the Toth books come up with Heritage is how "fresh" the books looked. Having a couple copies myself I can definitely agree with that notion especially with how clean many of the back covers are. The cover colors just pop also. You already noted how David stored the books tightly in boxes, where were the actual boxes kept and under what conditions ? Heck maybe its time to adjust how I store my books.

Here are the 2 books I got from the Toth Collection to keep the thread going:

Action Comics 252 CGC 9.0

ACT252-CGC90.jpg

Superman 167 CGC 9.4

SUP167-CGC94.jpg

Sad to see this.

Action #280 Toth copy:

ADVCAZ3FWSICAHADTIVCA65KFM7CAY0JUEL.jpg

Action #280 Toth copy, up for sale at well over three times the Heritage sale price, along with a "can't see why it isn't a 9.6" description:

Act_280_94.jpg

I don't blame the buyer for doing what he can to improve its grade or CGC for giving it a higher grade after, I suppose, some process has been performed on the book.

It just sends a tremor through the confidence of the comic collecting world that this does happen.

The difference between a 9.0 and 9.4 for a 10c DC is HUGE in terms of money and desirability. It's not like they were graded years apart.

Unless something is done to address why this happens - just some kind of explanation - I think damage to the hobby will happen long term. For an individual known book from a collection such as Toth, big grade bumps are easy to spot when they happen.

I wonder how many of us are owning CGC 9.0 or similar books that have big upgrade potential? Is this a good or a bad thing? Trust of an established grade vs potential monetary gain?

We all know grading is subjective but a professional grade is a professional grade. If CGC change their mind on a grade wouldn't it be nice to see on the label an explanation that the grade has altered and why.

Perhaps then we will all feel a little more confident about the integrity of our CGC books.

Well, it certainly looks nicer than a 9.0 from the scan - maybe it was too harshly graded the first time. Given the seller I realize the potential for pressing is high - but buyers are the ones who drive the big multiples for rather small shifts in grade. Grading is not an exact science, so any confidence that a grade is permanent is misplaced.