• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The David Toth Collection
1 1

278 posts in this topic

I do agree it looks nicer than most 9.0 books. But what an amazing upgrade for a 10c DC. Well done if the book was initially undergraded. Do we still congratulate the upgrade if it is the result of pressing?

Perhaps in years to come pressing will become a standard procedure for any book thought to benefit and the "no longer original" attitude towards pressed books will be gone.

I think it is well done no matter grading or pressing. You have to be talented and have an eye to pick the right books. As long as pressing is allowed by CGC, people are going to press books and you have to assume every slab you own with a new label could have been pressed.

The thing we don't know is how many books and how many tries it takes to land the big one. When a fisherman lands the 10 lb bass all we see is the photo, we did not see the years and thousands of casts it took to get that fish.

The biggest thing that many of the DC collectors noted immediately upon seeing the Toth books come up with Heritage is how "fresh" the books looked. Having a couple copies myself I can definitely agree with that notion especially with how clean many of the back covers are. The cover colors just pop also. You already noted how David stored the books tightly in boxes, where were the actual boxes kept and under what conditions ? Heck maybe its time to adjust how I store my books.

That’s probably the most amazing part to me.

They were not kept in a vault or anything like that. While my dad was stationed in Germany they were in his parents basement in Ill., when he got back and I was born I always remember them being in the garage, my mom wasn’t real big on having them in the house. (tsk) They survived 5 different moves and when we settled down here they were in a storage locker (not climate controlled) for at least 5 yrs. Till I moved out and put them in my old room.

All that and we still had 9.8 books. :o

The biggest thing that many of the DC collectors noted immediately upon seeing the Toth books come up with Heritage is how "fresh" the books looked. Having a couple copies myself I can definitely agree with that notion especially with how clean many of the back covers are. The cover colors just pop also. You already noted how David stored the books tightly in boxes, where were the actual boxes kept and under what conditions ? Heck maybe its time to adjust how I store my books.

That’s probably the most amazing part to me.

They were not kept in a vault or anything like that. While my dad was stationed in Germany they were in his parents basement in Ill., when he got back and I was born I always remember them being in the garage, my mom wasn’t real big on having them in the house. (tsk) They survived 5 different moves and when we settled down here they were in a storage locker (not climate controlled) for at least 5 yrs. Till I moved out and put them in my old room.

All that and we still had 9.8 books. :o

IMO in most cases of a long held dormant collection like your dads, the damage is done between the newsstand and the box they wlll sit in for 40 years. It was and is possible to buy, transport home, and read a comic cleanly then store it in a box snugly (and safely) while not damaging the book below what we now cal 9.4 condition. Just luck.

And exactly the factor we used to value most in comics collecting: the luck that one copy survived and another got its edges crimped etc.

Now? Not so much....

Perhaps in years to come pressing will become a standard procedure for any book thought to benefit and the "no longer original" attitude towards pressed books will be gone.

I agree, by 2007 nearly everyone will look to improve their books by having them pressed!!

I agree, by 2007 nearly everyone will look to improve their books by having them pressed!!

:signfunny:

Beautiful books!

Were there many DC war books in there, and will they come to market as well?

Great books and a a great story. These should totally be a pedigree.

Shep

Blackhawk was the only one thats close. There is a total of 91 in the collection and I don't think very many have sold yet, so they should be up soon. :grin:

i'd like to know what reasons were given for not giving the collection a pedigree status.

Trust me, we would to. :mad: No explanation has really been given. I've been keeping track of the average CGC grade of all the books and we are at about a 9.3. :o

With many as Highest or tied for Highest Grade.

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

Thanks for joining and sharing the stories with us fellow collectors.

I would suggest one thing you might do that the Boardies would find interesting as well as in helping you make the case for the pedigrees. To whit, start a new thread devoted to an inventory of the collection and the grades received. Create a post for each title and post which the issues you had graded, slab # and the grade received.

I guess the "800 pound gorrilla" question on this thread is:

Do you have any plans to sell any of the remaining books to board members or is it a Heratige exclusive?

thanks!

First I need to complete the inventory so I know what we've got. :tonofbricks:

Second I'm trying to decide what will become the "Andrew Toth Collection". hm

But I do plan to sell the remaining books. How soon and how they will be brought to market has not been decided. (thumbs u

I would suggest one thing you might do that the Boardies would find interesting as well as in helping you make the case for the pedigrees. To whit, start a new thread devoted to an inventory of the collection and the grades received. Create a post for each title and post which the issues you had graded, slab # and the grade received.

I like the idea, but it's sorta already been done w/ our Registry sets. Some have already been transferred but the majority are still in our inventory. I deleted some of the sets just so we wouldn't win an award for stuff we didn't own any more.

We had the JLA set nailed. lol

I like the idea, but it's sorta already been done w/ our Registry sets. Some have already been transferred but the majority are still in our inventory. I deleted some of the sets just so we wouldn't win an award for stuff we didn't own any more.

We had the JLA set nailed. lol

I don't even know how to view Registry sets and bet you get alot more traffic here than there. Also, you canget complaints if you keep the books in the registry after they are sold as the person that bought it can't enter it into their set while it sits in yours (something I learned from reading a few complaint threads here on the boards).

i'd like to know what reasons were given for not giving the collection a pedigree status.

Trust me, we would to. :mad: No explanation has really been given. I've been keeping track of the average CGC grade of all the books and we are at about a 9.3. :o

With many as Highest or tied for Highest Grade.

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

Thanks for joining and sharing the stories with us fellow collectors.

Heck, at this point I would settle just for an inventory list.

But at least with respect to the books that were sold through Heritage, it should be pretty easy for Andrew just to go under the My Consignments tab in his Account page, and then just copy and paste the list here, which will show all the issues and grades that have been or will be sold on Heritage. Folks on the boards could probably help in terms of re-ordering them into some alphabetical order.

Ask and ye shall receive. You'll have to give me some time, it's a big list. (thumbs u

Do you want just what was consigned through Heritage?

Do you want it in this thread or should I start a new one?

:grin:

Ask and ye shall receive. You'll have to give me some time, it's a big list. (thumbs u

If you can do a total inventory, that would be preferred. If you could indicate which have been or will be slabbed, and which have been or will be consigned to Heritage, that would be even better.

I would vote for just putting it into this thread, so that we can keep all things Toth consolidated in this thread.

If you can do a total inventory, that would be preferred. If you could indicate which have been or will be slabbed, and which have been or will be consigned to Heritage, that would be even better.

I would vote for just putting it into this thread, so that we can keep all things Toth consolidated in this thread.

A worthwhile task, indeed. To present an overview of the whole Toth collection will be fully appreciated!

Ok, just want to make sure I understand.

I know you all want as much info as possible. But you want me to list 30K+ comics on this board. I don’t really thinks that’s realistic. (:

I’ll start w/ what we’ve consigned already. I’ll try to be informative as possible. But even this is a long list.

I’ve got some of it ready to go and can start posting it soon. (thumbs u