• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2024 at 8:33 PM, Turtle said:

The items that take a long to to get/finish are always the most exciting to me.  This is one of those.  This is a print done in the late 80's by the Mirage Studios artists minus Eastman and Laird showing the turtles and many of the supporting cast at the time.  I love the way the different styles come together in one piece.  The print itself is quite limited.  In fact, I believe there are 2 versions of it with this one being the more common of the two.  Anyway, my goal was to get this one signed by all the contributing artists.  I've been slowly adding to this for years and today I finally have it finished:

TMNTMirage-80sprintMerge.thumb.jpg.733ba85255fdd5a2ca609db68fcc32ff.jpg

Left to right, there's

Steve Lavigne

Dan Berger

Ryan Brown

A.C. Farley

Eric Talbot

Jim Lawson

Michael Dooney

THAT is absolutely incredible.  I don't get jealous often but I am now.  I'm not familiar with this print.  What is the history behind it?  I'd love to track one down someday.

Edited by BeardedBubba

On 2/20/2024 at 8:33 PM, Turtle said:

The items that take a long to to get/finish are always the most exciting to me.  This is one of those.  This is a print done in the late 80's by the Mirage Studios artists minus Eastman and Laird showing the turtles and many of the supporting cast at the time.  I love the way the different styles come together in one piece.  The print itself is quite limited.  In fact, I believe there are 2 versions of it with this one being the more common of the two.  Anyway, my goal was to get this one signed by all the contributing artists.  I've been slowly adding to this for years and today I finally have it finished:

TMNTMirage-80sprintMerge.thumb.jpg.733ba85255fdd5a2ca609db68fcc32ff.jpg

Left to right, there's

Steve Lavigne

Dan Berger

Ryan Brown

A.C. Farley

Eric Talbot

Jim Lawson

Michael Dooney

Any reason you didn't add Kevin and Pete to it?

On 2/23/2024 at 10:01 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Any reason you didn't add Kevin and Pete to it?

I considered it, but decided against it since they didn’t contribute any art to the actual piece.  This was all done by Mirage Artists minus the co-creators themselves.

Michael Dooney just got added to the PMC40!  :banana:

I'm hoping for Dan Berger to show up as well.  He was just at the Great Lakes Comic Con and he is considering it, but really hates flying.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

On 2/26/2024 at 8:35 PM, Turtle said:

Michael Dooney just got added to the PMC40!  :banana:

I'm hoping for Dan Berger to show up as well.  He was just at the Great Lakes Comic Con and he is considering it, but really hates flying.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Are you coming?

On 2/27/2024 at 10:20 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Are you coming?

Saturday!  You?

Can anyone tell me a bit about the Creed/ Turtles crossovers? I'm not familiar with Creed.  I know that in the early days, Eastman and Laird lent out their characters but these are from 1996.  I thought I was bidding on three Direct copies, but it turns out one was the Gold version and one was Platinum. I paid $20 for the three, but I can't find many price points.

There are only about a dozen slabbed copies of the two polybagged versions.  Is there a demand for these?

@shadroch The Creed and TMNT crossover is a unique one. That issue had the most variant covers for a TMNT book until IDW started publishing in 2011. But, the crossover itself came to existence from Trent Kaniuga asking Peter Laird for permission to put Turtles in his Creed property. Lightning didn't have an ongoing Turtles title or anything but Image was just starting TMNT Vol. III at this time so Peter must have been thinking it was good for business. Here's a neat bit of info. about this directly from Trent.

There are seven different variants for the Creed and TMNT crossover, with the Subscriber's Hybrid (Blue/Bronze) edition being the most rare version - although the Signed & Numbered edition with COA is pretty rare as well. The Subscriber's edition was limited to only 500 copies and was available only to those that held a subscription with Lightning Comics at the time. I'll list the variants here for you with print runs but you can see images here on my site.

1. Trent Kaniuga Edition - regular/main cover
  2. Peter Laird Edition - regular/variant Laird cover
  3. American Entertainment Exclusive - limited to 3,000 (with numbered COA)
  4. Platinum Edition - limited to 2,000 (with numbered COA)
  5. Gold Collector's Edition - limited to 1,200 (with numbered COA)
  6. Signed & Numbered Edition - limited to 700 (with numbered COA)
  7. Subscriber's Direct Hybrid (Blue/Bronze) Edition - limited to 500 (with COA)
Edited by rich_TMNT

On 2/27/2024 at 2:14 PM, Turtle said:

Saturday!  You?

Yea I just did Saturday as well.  I had offered to bring art but they said their insurance wasn't keen on the idea.  O well.  Thought it would be fun to put together a gallery of major pieces.  

On 2/28/2024 at 8:15 AM, rich_TMNT said:

@shadroch The Creed and TMNT crossover is a unique one. That issue had the most variant covers for a TMNT book until IDW started publishing in 2011. But, the crossover itself came to existence from Trent Kaniuga asking Peter Laird for permission to put Turtles in his Creed property. Lightning didn't have an ongoing Turtles title or anything but Image was just starting TMNT Vol. III at this time so Peter must have been thinking it was good for business. Here's a neat bit of info. about this directly from Trent.

There are seven different variants for the Creed and TMNT crossover, with the Subscriber's Hybrid (Blue/Bronze) edition being the most rare version - although the Signed & Numbered edition with COA is pretty rare as well. The Subscriber's edition was limited to only 500 copies and was available only to those that held a subscription with Lightning Comics at the time. I'll list the variants here for you with print runs but you can see images here on my site.

Do you have any idea about the numbers on variants 1 and 2? Would you consider these must-have books or just interesting after-thoughts?

On 2/28/2024 at 10:11 AM, shadroch said:

Do you have any idea about the numbers on variants 1 and 2? Would you consider these must-have books or just interesting after-thoughts?

I don't know the print quantities of these two but they were the two main covers for the book and so they were likely much higher print quantities than any of the limited editions. I remember seeing those two covers in back-issue bins for years and years after release so I don't think they are all that rare. Still cool though.

I personally think these books are must-have for TMNT comic collectors. They are a neat part of TMNT comics in the late 90's when TMNT was waning in popularity.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:56 PM, Turtle said:

I really like the Ultimate Collection line of TMNT Hardcovers.  They're a nice, easy way to read the stories and I like the way they compile them.  For anyone that knows Volume 1, the main story is pretty spread out and punctuated by "guest issues".  The Ultimate Collection books keeps storylines together and groups guest issues together where it makes sense.  Then Volume 6 collects a ton of short stories that were originally printed as backup stories in other books.  I try to get these books signed when I can.  Here's what I have so far:

Volume 1:

TMNTUltimateCollectionVol.1.thumb.jpg.7a7c1f5029ba07f4ce765445d788f6de.jpg

Volume 2:

TMNTUltimateCollectionVol.2.thumb.jpg.a7b5248112cab6848f88d6b7a628bcb4.jpg

Volume 3:

TMNTUltimateCollectionVol.3.thumb.jpg.b1f3b5d6b889b0ed0a805292f15676ab.jpg

Volume 4:

TMNTUltimateCollectionVol.4.thumb.jpg.c6351f7c0645d445307dd4d957b0c646.jpg

Volume 5:

TMNTUltimateCollectionVol.5.thumb.jpg.4be7e36c41af28c921ac65ae341aff04.jpg

Volume 6:

TMNTUltimateCollectionVol.6.thumb.jpg.7ca515bb68c6ddb30897f31a6a4d216e.jpg

Volume 7:

TMNTUltimateCollectionVol.7.thumb.jpg.6c38da122d9a30ec5b304898a6654ca3.jpg

:x

On 2/28/2024 at 10:15 AM, rich_TMNT said:

Here are the first two listed. If I find my Creed stash I’ll see if I have any of the other ones.

IMG_6051.jpeg

IMG_6052.jpeg

IMG_6053.jpeg

IMG_6054.jpeg

I recently picked up this TMNT TPB at a new used bookstore. It looks to be pretty hard to find. It was on a restock shelf, so it either just came in or someone was putting it back. Some damage to the front cover. Either way, a steal for $7!

20240301_134803.jpg

On 3/1/2024 at 11:37 PM, srezvan said:

I recently picked up this TMNT TPB at a new used bookstore. It looks to be pretty hard to find. It was on a restock shelf, so it either just came in or someone was putting it back. Some damage to the front cover. Either way, a steal for $7!

20240301_134803.jpg

Nice!

The artist for that story, Chris Allan, just got announced as a guest for the Portsmouth Mini Con in April.  Are you going?

On 3/2/2024 at 8:01 AM, Turtle said:

Nice!

The artist for that story, Chris Allan, just got announced as a guest for the Portsmouth Mini Con in April.  Are you going?

Unfortunately, I'm not. I moved from the east coast a few years ago, or I would have made the trip.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:38 AM, BeardedBubba said:

I just saw that CGC facilitators will be at Portsmouth mini-con to witness signatures.  Missing this is going to be my biggest Turtles fandom regret.  

Can you post a link?