• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,376 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2023 at 9:56 PM, spracknetch23 said:

Wow, 40 years..that's insane. Anyone here been a fan since the beginning? I discovered TMNT in late '88 when I saw the toys filling the shelves of a local department store. The "bursting out of a brick wall" packaging was really eye-catching. 

I came on around Issue #10 - saw that cover and was a fan ever since.    I guess that was around 1987.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:56 PM, spracknetch23 said:

Wow, 40 years..that's insane. Anyone here been a fan since the beginning? I discovered TMNT in late '88 when I saw the toys filling the shelves of a local department store. The "bursting out of a brick wall" packaging was really eye-catching. 

I was 9 years old when the cartoon debuted in 1987, and I had to have as many of the figures as possible when they came out - I still have a bunch of them. My dad took me to a comic shop in probably '88 or '89, and I got a copy of Leonardo #1 (sure wish it was Raphael #1 or a TMNT #1, but oh well). I also got the "First Comics" trade paperbacks around that time. Those are long gone now, but I'd read them to the point where the covers were coming off anyway. Now I finally completed my run of the Vol. 1 Mirage series (#1 is a 4th print, #2 is a 3rd print, and Raphael #1 is a 2nd print). It was a fun project!

I also remember whenever we'd take a trip to the "city" (Madison, WI xD) to go to the mall, I'd sit all day in the arcade while my parents shopped, playing the Turtles in Time 4-player machine, must have been in the early 90s.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 11/26/2023 at 3:43 PM, Jesse-Lee said:
On 11/14/2023 at 8:56 PM, spracknetch23 said:

I was 9 years old when the cartoon debuted in 1987, and I had to have as many of the figures as possible when they came out - I still have a bunch of them. My dad took me to a comic shop in probably '88 or '89, and I got a copy of Leonardo #1 (sure wish it was Raphael #1 or a TMNT #1, but oh well). I also got the "First Comics" trade paperbacks around that time. Those are long gone now, but I'd read them to the point where the covers were coming off anyway. Now I finally completed my run of the Vol. 1 Mirage series (#1 is a 4th print, #2 is a 3rd print, and Raphael #1 is a 2nd print). It was a fun project!

I also remember whenever we'd take a trip to the "city" (Madison, WI xD) to go to the mall, I'd sit all day in the arcade while my parents shopped, playing the Turtles in Time 4-player machine, must have been in the early 90s.

Another I meant to reply too.

I was maybe 6 or 7 in 87 to 88, so I remember the cartoon but not the comics, except eventually later the adventures comics at the grocery store and one of the few comics that I begged, if my mom loved me to let me buy with change I had saved lol

The cartoons weren't like a soap opera to me, but seemed that the characters were genuinely creative and uninhibited, while being spontaneous! Then the movie hit me like a ton of bricks! In seriousness with humor! I wasn't much for theaters at the time, so mom had rented from Blockbuster like the same day that I owned the tmnt novel to read. It was her way of wondering if I'd follow in her footsteps with books and movies. She just wasn't sure since the novel was created off the movie, if it "counted!" :roflmao:

To this day I haven't gone back to memorize dates, it's just how I remember it and the introduction. I remember a long while with tmnt before the X-men animated series a Marvel subscription. 

I might still have had a asm classics subscription at this time I'm not sure. It was up to about the Cowboys championship that I bought myself or parents bought me a Irwin and Emmitt Smith poster that I bought at the same time this tmnt poster for my brother who was born in '87. I figured he'd enjoy what I had enjoyed, but it soon went to power rangers for him. Although he did keep up with the poster and surprised me with it a couple of years ago. :)

Edit it to add, I didn't want the poster ruined and only had a certain size cardboard that I cut the poster to glue it to a board. I had been trying to think of a way for him not to krinkle it up or tear it. I'm surprised that even at 10 years old, I did a good job at preserving it.

4446289_Full_Rev.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/14/2023 at 7:56 PM, spracknetch23 said:

I had a shop when #1 came out, but my distributor didn't carry it. They did get some 2nd prints in, and I got a few.  I read it and thought it was cute, but I didn't keep one for myself.   Eastman and Laird appeared at a show I was set up at, and I bought a couple of issues 2 and 3 and had them signed.  I lost interest in them around issue 5.  I thought it was a one-trick pony with a very limited shelf life.  B&W comics just didn't sell well before it came out.

Edited by shadroch

Ended up winning this for $16, thought it was a nice deal since these late Vol. 4 issues can be tougher to track down. In hand, it's the nicest 8.0 I've ever seen - grader's notes say: light spine stress lines to cover; light staining to cover. Maybe a candidate for a clean and press?

IMG_9992.thumb.jpg.07e090a08d61f5c8b8a218c4068ad6d6.jpg

On 11/28/2023 at 1:15 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Ended up winning this for $16, thought it was a nice deal since these late Vol. 4 issues can be tougher to track down. In hand, it's the nicest 8.0 I've ever seen - grader's notes say: light spine stress lines to cover; light staining to cover. Maybe a candidate for a clean and press?

IMG_9992.thumb.jpg.07e090a08d61f5c8b8a218c4068ad6d6.jpg

Staining, even light staining, can be a real killer in terms of grade.  My guess is that if you cracked it, pressed it, cleaned it, and it goes from an 8.0 to a 9.8...you'd probably break even or gain just a little if you were to ever sell.  Anything less than 9.8 would probably be a loss.  I think you're right.  It's a nice-looking 8.0 and you got a great price on it.  May as well enjoy it for what it is. 

It's a bit divisive, but I enjoy the Volume 4 stories.  Mikey's I found especially interesting and I think the covers are pretty great.

On 12/1/2023 at 6:52 PM, Ryan. said:

They are. Just got them in today.

I really like them both.  That Laird Splinter is great though.  

Are you my Secret Santa?  If so, I have an idea… :shy:

On 12/2/2023 at 7:35 AM, Turtle said:

I really like them both.  That Laird Splinter is great though.  

Are you my Secret Santa?  If so, I have an idea… :shy:

:cry:

On 12/2/2023 at 8:48 PM, Ryan. said:

I'm hearing that Granite State Comic Con is going to have a TMNT 40th Anniversary celebration next year.

Already booked my hotel and got my Cowabunga VIP pass (thumbsu

On 12/3/2023 at 4:07 PM, Ryan. said:

Hearing that there will be some very interesting guests...

Honestly, this is one of my favorite shows.  It's small, mostly Turtles oriented, and technically held in a hotel.  Since I'm booked there it makes it super convenient.  Need a break?  go up to my room and chill.  Same if I want to drop off something I bought.  So far we have Kevin, Sarah Myer, and Johnny Yong Bosch.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:07 PM, Ryan. said:

Hearing that there will be some very interesting guests...

I have a feeling we'll definitely see Peter Laird at some shows in 2024.  At this point, I just don't know how many will be announced in advance.  If I had to guess, I'd say at least the Portsmouth Mini Con and Granite State, but that's all speculative.

I will say that for anyone planning on attending any of these appearances, plan on a 1-2 book limit.  He won't be signing stacks of books for individuals. 

I'll also say that if there's one item that you're dying to have him sign, bring it to any show you attend with a TMNT presence.  His Granite State appearance last year was not announced and I could see that being the norm for him moving forward. 

On 12/3/2023 at 9:27 PM, Turtle said:

I will say that for anyone planning on attending any of these appearances, plan on a 1-2 book limit.  He won't be signing stacks of books for individuals. 

I'll also say that if there's one item that you're dying to have him sign, bring it to any show you attend with a TMNT presence.  His Granite State appearance last year was not announced and I could see that being the norm for him moving forward. 

Sounds promising !

How far out? I remember, I think, that yall are northeast and him keeping to that region? Laird I mean. Is that still true? 

I have to hold my breath when you guys do this maybe annually, as I'm not making a plane trip lol

But Midwest isn't ever on the map! Except we have turtle peeps at cons, so rantrant was hoping lol

On 12/3/2023 at 10:38 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sounds promising !

How far out? I remember, I think, that yall are northeast and him keeping to that region? Laird I mean. Is that still true? 

I have to hold my breath when you guys do this maybe annually, as I'm not making a plane trip lol

But Midwest isn't ever on the map! Except we have turtle peeps at cons, so rantrant was hoping lol

Historically, Peter keeps to the NE region of the country.  I've heard he's never been a fan of flying.  All the appearances I've ever personally been aware of since 2009 have all taken place in the NE with the New York Comic Con being as far south as I've ever seen him. 

100_0507.thumb.JPG.c98912d572f6ebc55902e515d02352d8.JPGDarkAvengers1-3RaphaelCasey.thumb.jpg.507cb10b318be4cc34cf5e29ecf7c3c3.jpg