• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

Nice one mschmidt , I owe you a turtle (send me your mailing address : P ).

So yeah long story short, I forgot how I got this book, but shortly realized it MIGHT be counterfeit (from the ugly line art on the cover). Then after a couple years of not knowing I decided to look it up, but there's no pictures online. Then, I read about the Overstreet remark about a "smudge" on the back. A couple days ago I went home and checked, and sure enough, smudge!

So there you have, you all know what it looks like in real life, other than the line art on the cover looks horrible like someone retraced it with a fat sharpie. So you can stay away from it if you want now :)

I am actually really happy I have a counterfeit since it's a ton more rare (in cgc census) than a regular one. Now I am dying to get a "legit" counterfeit #2. Has anyone seen those, or know how you can tell? CGC must know, since there's a single one in the census.

So, does anyone know anything about the fugazi #2?

Very cool acquisition!

I was lucky enough to finish a pretty cool set myself today. This is the first time this set has been assembled in graded 9.8 condition:

Raphael:

Raphael1SS.jpg

Michaelangelo:

Michaelangelo1.jpg

Donatello:

Donatello1.jpg

And the newly acquired, lone 9.8 Leonardo:

Leonardo1.jpg

I've been looking for this Leonardo in 9.8 for some time now. I must own at least 20 copies all in the 9.4-9.6 range. Big kudos to GACollectibles for finally finding and submitting it. I couldn't have put this set together without you! (worship)

In fact, all these books came from board members. Thanks to JonJesper, sckao, and Beach Bum as well! You all rock! :banana:

Danny, did you acquire the mystery grail yet?

:shy:

Peter, that is a great set!

Gotta agree here. Fantastic run on those micro-issues! Leo in 9.8 was one of those books I wasn't sure I'd ever see so big congrats on finally landing one. Your overall run is completely SICK man. Keep it up!

Thanks everyone! :D

I was also lucky enough to grab a few books from the Tatge collection from the other thread. Here's one of my favorites:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles20.jpg

I've already got the only 9.8 #19, so now I need to find a #21 in 9.8 to complete this very cool story arc. It's the one where the clone Shredder comes back and he squares off against Leo. One of my favorite stories in the whole run!

So Adam, are you planning on cracking and submitting the Leonardo and Michaelangelo for SS? I know it's a risk losing the 9.8 but that would be really badass to have all four SS'd...

Cause, you know how I like groups of TMNT in 4 to be SS'd :grin:

So Adam, are you planning on cracking and submitting the Leonardo and Michaelangelo for SS? I know it's a risk losing the 9.8 but that would be really badass to have all four SS'd...

Cause, you know how I like groups of TMNT in 4 to be SS'd :grin:

The thought had crossed my mind. I might do it for the Michaelangelo (I never know when to use which spelling lol ) as there are several 9.8's already. However, the Leo was super tough to get in 9.8 and as of right now, it's the only one. Even if oroku saki gets his in 9.8, I doubt he'd sell, so there might as well be only one even then.

I'll hold off on the Leo, but the Mikey might happen. I'm always looking for good contenders for 9.8, so if I come across another HG Leo, I'll get it signed and take my chances. :wishluck:

I've thought about doing this set for SS but that'll be a long ways off from now. Between finishing the TMNT #s 1-4 set SS and then the occasional SA Marvel key as of late, well, yeah. Backburner. :grin:

Remind me around NYCC time. I think I've got extra copies of each ( I KNOW I've got way too many Leo's). You can probably knock out the whole set in 1 fell swoop. :)

:popcorn: Looking forward to it.

In the mean time, I came across this ebay listing:

TMNT #1

Please note that the seller has been connected to several known scammers on ebay and I'd be willing to wager that this particular issue is restored. Here are the related threads here on the boards:

Lexerific/makemeanofferandwin/cdpaoli thread 1

Lexerific/makemeanofferandwin/cdpaoli thread 2

BUYER BEWARE!

WOW. thank you for that tidbit. I had my eyes on this book since it went up. I also missed out on a 8.5 slabbed book. Sold for a mere $566 (I bid 563 in the last 5 seconds hoping to win), which is fairly damn low for what prices have been lately.

:popcorn: Looking forward to it.

In the mean time, I came across this ebay listing:

TMNT #1

Please note that the seller has been connected to several known scammers on ebay and I'd be willing to wager that this particular issue is restored. Here are the related threads here on the boards:

Lexerific/makemeanofferandwin/cdpaoli thread 1

Lexerific/makemeanofferandwin/cdpaoli thread 2

BUYER BEWARE!

It's also heavily-overgraded. Calling it a 9.0 is a joke :screwy:

Happy to help, DJB. I bought a book (Avengers #4) from makemeanofferandwin just before joining the boards. Heavily overgraded and clearly restored. I don't remember exactly how everything ended up. I think I got a substantial partial refund and sold the book here as a reader to just about break even. I got off easy compared to some.

Anymore, if' I'm going to buy an expensive book from ebay, I generally come here and run their ebay name through a search. This is a great community of ebay watchdogs. A little over ambitious at times, but their hearts are in the right place. :)