• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

MarksPlate001.jpg

I hope you don't mind me posting the image from the link here for all to see. It's a really cool piece!

Here are a few books I had signed by Mark Bode in WWAnaheim. I try to get non-Eastman/Laird SS books whenever possible as I don't think many exist. All these books top the SS census.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles18SSHeadon.jpg

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles18SSChangL.jpg

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles182ndPr-1.jpg

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles182ndPrint.jpg

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles32SS.jpg

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles32SSYear.jpg

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles322ndPrint.jpg

Issues 1-7 had more than 1 printing. Past that, it was only 18 and 32...no others. The Raphael and Michealangelo one-shots also had more than 1 printing.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Very awesome books Adam! What's up with that 8.0 in that batch of 9.8's? :baiting:

It was a tough book for me to find. I typically find about 10 1st prints for every 2nd print I stumble across. It only had 1 other entry on the census and I didn't want to miss my chance on a Bode SS. I've since found a better copy, but still no 9.8's. I'll keep looking. :)

What condition? Graded or not? Signature Series or Universal?

I'm not a huge fan of the signature series but I guess it depends on the artists. It's so fricking easy to get a lot of artists signatures that they're not even close to rare. Eastman and Laird have signed so much stuff it's crazy to even try and count it.

I guess my problem with signed comic books having a 9.8 rating is that eventually, the ink from the signatures starts to permeate through the book and starts staining the pages behind it. I have a Detective Comics book signed by Bob Kane in black marker just like the books above. After 10 years, I opened the front cover and noticed that the ink stained several of the pages below it in a large, spot like, manner.

I know signed books aren't collected for their condition of the comic itself but when CGC puts a NM rating on it, that book won't be near mint in another 10 years, even inside that case but the 9.8 books without the signatures, will be in fact in better shape so hence is my problem with signature books. I feel like my TMNT CGC 9.8 books will be in fact better condition than the signatures series which I'd rather have a book that is in the best possible condition than to have an artist's signature on it which isn't even that rare. I'm sure I'm in the minority but it's just my opinion.

With that said, i'd still like to get at least one signature series book (to go along with my pristine CGC 9.8 already of the same book) of the major artists like Stan Lee and such.

My 2 cents here. Not like it matters.

I'm not a huge fan of the signature series but I guess it depends on the artists. It's so fricking easy to get a lot of artists signatures that they're not even close to rare. Eastman and Laird have signed so much stuff it's crazy to even try and count it.

While I agree with you on most of this, some things to consider are:

1) In the past it has been pretty easy to get the pair to sign, but the rules have changed and there are no more SS witnesses like there were in previous years. The new rules don't affect much in terms of larger shows like NYCC or SDCC, but getting books SS'd from smaller appearances like in-store signings is much harder to do now, which decreases the frequency of obtaining many TMNT SS books.

2) With the sale of the TMNT property to Nickelodeon, Mirage Studios is in the final stages of dissolving. I've asked the fellas the and with the exception of Michael Dooney, most will not be doing shows in the future. Couple this with my first point, and that makes SS for non-Eastman/Laird TMNT books even harder.

3) Peter Laird is really trying to put some distance between himself and the Turtles. Nothing has been made official, but if he ever decides to make a public signing appearance again I would imagine that it wouldn't be for a number of years. Laird SS books are going to become scarce. While many retired artists may jump at the chance to make some extra money for signing a few books for fans in a private setting set up by a witness (as has been done in the past), Peter is a millionaire and would need to burn through a lot of money before a signing like that would be worth his while. Great for him, kinda sad for us.

I guess my problem with signed comic books having a 9.8 rating is that eventually, the ink from the signatures starts to permeate through the book and starts staining the pages behind it. I have a Detective Comics book signed by Bob Kane in black marker just like the books above. After 10 years, I opened the front cover and noticed that the ink stained several of the pages below it in a large, spot like, manner.

I'm no expert on paper or ink by any means, but I would think that the ink would dry after a certain period of time and cease to move. If I had to guess, I'd say either the marker, the paper quality, or a combination of the two would be the culprit in this case. I don't have any signature books old enough to verify this but if Bob Kane was signing the book, I'm guessing the materials were pretty old. I'd be curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing with old signatures. I may point some of the guys in the grading/restoration area to this post to see what they have to say.

I know signed books aren't collected for their condition of the comic itself but when CGC puts a NM rating on it, that book won't be near mint in another 10 years, even inside that case but the 9.8 books without the signatures, will be in fact in better shape so hence is my problem with signature books. I feel like my TMNT CGC 9.8 books will be in fact better condition than the signatures series which I'd rather have a book that is in the best possible condition than to have an artist's signature on it which isn't even that rare. I'm sure I'm in the minority but it's just my opinion.

In my opinion, it's not as much about the rarity as it is the relevance of a signature. I prefer to get Eastman and Laird to sign books they directly worked on, but I have no problem asking them to sign any TMNT-related material as they did create them. However, I find a certain uniqueness to getting some of the lesser-known artists/writers to sign the books, hence these Bode books, the Dooney stuff that'll come back from Heroes, and the Zulli stuff I'll try to have done at SDCC.

I'm not sure who the minority is to be honest with you. Sure, the people in the signature room (myself included) love SS'd books. However, head over to general and you'll find just as many people who think the idea of a signature on a book is 100% defacement. There are plenty in both camps. You're not alone. :)

With that said, i'd still like to get at least one signature series book (to go along with my pristine CGC 9.8 already of the same book) of the major artists like Stan Lee and such.

That's my plan with these TMNT books. I try to get 1 SS copy and 1 Universal Copy. It'll take me longer to really complete this goal, but it's something to do:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles1-2ndPrint.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles01-2ndprin.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles04.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles04SS.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles17.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles17SS.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles18.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles18SSHeadon.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles32.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles32SSYear.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles37.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles37-1.jpg

My 2 cents here. Not like it matters.

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Thanks for voicing it in a polite fashion. (thumbs u

I guess my problem with signed comic books having a 9.8 rating is that eventually, the ink from the signatures starts to permeate through the book and starts staining the pages behind it. I have a Detective Comics book signed by Bob Kane in black marker just like the books above. After 10 years, I opened the front cover and noticed that the ink stained several of the pages below it in a large, spot like, manner..

That's just not correct. I have several raw books that were signed in the late 80s and plenty of "real" books that were signed/inscribed even earlier than that, and none of them suffer from the ink bleed-through that you mention.

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen period, but it's much more likely that the bleed-through happened while the book was still freshly-signed, and it was due to the very specific mix of ink & paper being used on that particular occasion.

I guess my problem with signed comic books having a 9.8 rating is that eventually, the ink from the signatures starts to permeate through the book and starts staining the pages behind it. I have a Detective Comics book signed by Bob Kane in black marker just like the books above. After 10 years, I opened the front cover and noticed that the ink stained several of the pages below it in a large, spot like, manner..

That's just not correct. I have several raw books that were signed in the late 80s and plenty of "real" books that were signed/inscribed even earlier than that, and none of them suffer from the ink bleed-through that you mention.

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen period, but it's much more likely that the bleed-through happened while the book was still freshly-signed, and it was due to the very specific mix of ink & paper being used on that particular occasion.

Another factor, and I am no color touch expert, relating to bleedthrough is the condition of the paper. If the 'Tec had a lot of damage, including some of the finish and maybe some of the paper fibers being lost, bleedthrough makes a lot more sense. It is actually something I've thought a lot about when having low grade keys signed. Often, when you see bleedthrough on CT areas, it is the most evidenced when there has been damage. Many many SS books are pristine examples and should have fewer bleedthrough issues. All very valid points, though.