• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,348 posts in this topic

Danny,

Great Piece! I love the idea! Can't wait to see your OA!

I'm glad to see a few people jumped on the Sim opportunity. I hope he does them on a regular basis. :wishluck:

Thanks Bryan!

Here's one I got back from Heroes. Michael Dooney tells me this is one of the most well-known images to come out of Mirage Studios. I told him it was one of the first images I really remember about the ninja turtles as it was the cover to the original video game for Nintendo. I need to find a better copy, but this'll do until then:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles042ndPrint.jpg

Thanks Bryan!

Here's one I got back from Heroes. Michael Dooney tells me this is one of the most well-known images to come out of Mirage Studios. I told him it was one of the first images I really remember about the ninja turtles as it was the cover to the original video game for Nintendo. I need to find a better copy, but this'll do until then:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles042ndPrint.jpg

:o :o :o

I didn't know THAT was a comic cover?!? TMNT on the NES had to be one of THE most difficult games I ever played as a kid and I don't think I ever beat it either. I wonder if I can download it for my Wii? GREAT image and wonderful book Adam!

Here's a nice little set just in from Heroes:

#46 - Only graded issue on census

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles46SS.jpg

#47 - Shares top census with 1 9.8 Universal.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles47SS.jpg

I <3 Dooney art.

You sold me on it Adam. So thanks for the heads up! I'd been wanting a Sim original piece for a long time now but with all the art from #8 locked up, i didn't think I get a chance. I think Dave did awesome with my request so may I present Cerebus as the Shredder!! :banana:

DaveSimCommision2.jpg

And in case you're wondering, I have some sweet, early published art coming soon... :gossip:

Very cool Danny!

(I can't wait to see what is in store for all of us to see hm )

As far as I know, Kevin Eastman and Michael Dooney will both be at the New York Comic Con this year...so if you're wanting to get some for yourself, October is the time to do it. :)

Pardon my lack of appropriate etiquette.

Have this copy of TMNT #1 and first print, raw in better than very fine + condition.

Bear with me I received it from my son when he went to attend to a European university. I'm reasonably sure it'll grade 90+, but on the other hand, it was signed by all the artists, inker, etc. in 1986 in Denver, and there'll be no way to get signature series. I have communicated with Eastman who remembers and will cooperate/verify with a notarized statement, but this was quite some time ago, he may not be as amenable today.

Understand I'm an OLD guy operating proxy with/for my son. Suggestions as to how to proceed or if I should even bother with encapsulation and grading? Help from any of you greatly appreciated. As a rule, I collect weaponry and guns....but this was always his passion. He left me first eight issues in similar condition, but just this signed. I'm also an artist, and appreciate my ability to don gloves once in a while and admire. Help? Suggestions? ....or just leave it be?

DSCF0785-1.jpg

Edited by Dean Lehrman

Wasn't exactly the response I'd hoped for. I really don't know what to do with it. I'd considered sending a batch through for grading, but to me at least, it'd be a damned shame to only see this noted on an encapsulation. My inclination to date is to simply keep it boarded, mylar and boxed and maybe take it to a safe deposit box. I'm really hung here.

DSCF0789-1.jpg

Bad photos, bad lighting, but need to grab them quick did not aid optimization.

Edited by Dean Lehrman

Welcome!

It all depends on what you want to do. It's true that you can't get the CGC signature series authentication. If you submitted this to the CGC, it would get a green "qualified" label, which basically means they'll grade the book on based on the condition alone and while not authenticated, the sigs and sketches will be noted on the label. It will likely be noted as "names and sketches written on inside front cover in pen". You could also request a blue label, but they will count the sigs and sketches as defects and if this truly was a 9.0, it could grade anywhere from a 4.0 to a 7.5...it's a little unclear how much they would knock off for this. I'd recommend the qualified label if you get it graded.

Truthfully, if your (or your son's) ultimate intention is to sell it, this book is almost always worth the slabbing fees as it'll fetch more money on the open market. Since it has a black cover, it is prone to amateur color touch by owner's trying to increase eye appeal (or value in some nefarious cases). Grading will allow you prove the book has or hasn't been restored (color touched) and will give potential buyers who can't tell the difference between the first 3 prints the peace of mind in knowing they're getting a genuine first print.

If you're going to keep it, I'd say keep it in a mylar with full-back (archival backing board). This way, you can still appreciate the sketches and sigs but still keep it protected. Many on this board claim that mylars and fullbacks are a safer method of storing books than CGC slabs, anyway. If I owned the book, I wouldn't have it graded.

Finally, The sketches are:

Top Left in blue: Kevin Eastman

Top Right: Peter Laird (Kevin and Peter are the co-creators of the TMNT and are the only ones to work on this book. They split the work down the middle, each doing half of the art and forming the story together).

Bottom Left: Steve Lavigne - Long time letterer and colorist for the TMNT. I believe he starting doing the lettering on issue #4

Bottom Right: Ryan Brown - More popular for his work on the Tales of the TMNT series that ran along side the first volume of TMNT.

Thanks. As long as it stays with me I just haven't been able to justify grading and encapsulation for exactly the reasons you state. It is well protected and rarely sees the light of day. My son versed me well on the history, background and emphasized care (the importance of the black cover).

Being an artist myself I'm also aware of "restoration" not just in this hobby. As in my weapons collection, rarely does the effort to restore something equal or even approach the retention of actual originality.

Your opinions noted, accepted and enacted, much appreciated as well.

Thought it might prove a treat to be shared in exchange for the opinions, so snapped the quick pics. Didn't have the heart to put it on a flatbed scanner. Maybe my grandson will come to appreciate as well. He's just old enough to destroy right now.

Edited by Dean Lehrman