• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

I get your point completely DJB. However, I got stuck with a counterfeit, paid WAY too much for it, thinking it was the real thing, and realized a few years later what happened.

I guess it's sort of like getting a horrible sexually transmitted disease (what to do with it?). Or, it could be compared to getting bad plastic surgery.

Now that I have one, and am stuck with it, I would rather have one in better condition, to make me feel better.

Other than that, I wouldn't give a rat'sass about that book.

-Pete

I'd buy your counterfeit. PM me if you really don't give a "rat'sass" about it.

I'm looking for a better copy myself. I paid probably $800+ for it thinking it was the real thing a few years ago. I don't think it would get better than a 8.5.

So if I even paid $500 for a NEWER counterfeit, in really nice condition, it would make up for that original loss (to me), and I would have a copy that I would care for. Nothing sucks more than realizing that you got stuck with an expensive counterfeit, is knowing it's not in the best condition :o

The dude that sold the fake one for $1,650 said he would grade it, after trying my best to convince him that it was fugazi. I offered $500, so that's why I kept a close eye on that auction, and waiting til it came off ebay because nobody bought it (and he submitted it to cgc).

However there might be a silver lining in this counterfeit cloud, I am going to keep my fingers crossed, in less than a week (don't mean to be secretive, just don't want to jinx it).

Happy new years Turtle peeps :)

I've just worked out a deal to join the elusive TMNT #1 1st print club! Details at a later date but being a proud owner of TMNT #1-3 all 1st prints I started toying with the idea of completing the first eleven issues. Issues #1-11, the various one shots and any variant covers/editions. However this thread is old enough that many of the pictures that would have helped with my research are no longer available. Is there another website that list things like print runs and covers shots of the first eleven issues and all the variants?

http://miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/volume01/mirage.html

The Mirage official site may not see many more updates, but the back issue bins have good images and info.

Most of the multiple printings are in issues 1-4. There are second prints of issues 5, 6, 7, Raphael, and Michealangelo. Past that only issues 18 and 32 have second prints. Everything else had only a single print run in volume 1.

Edited by Peter Palmer

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2882339#Post2882339

hit this up when you get ur comics!

I've just worked out a deal to join the elusive TMNT #1 1st print club! Details at a later date but being a proud owner of TMNT #1-3 all 1st prints I started toying with the idea of completing the first eleven issues. Issues #1-11, the various one shots and any variant covers/editions. However this thread is old enough that many of the pictures that would have helped with my research are no longer available. Is there another website that list things like print runs and covers shots of the first eleven issues and all the variants?

Very cool Van Sciver piece! Did you give him a reference? If so, what did you use? Also, what was his reaction when you asked him to draw a Turtle? Did he jump right in or hesitate for a bit? :popcorn:

I recently asked Gemma if she could add a few books to the TMNT 1-62 registry including a few more of the #1 reprints, the 2nd Print of the Mikey 1-shot, and the Fugitoid 1-shot, all of which are now on the list. :) Here's the latest acquisition...a top census copy, 1 of 2 (and WHITE pages meh ) :

Fugitoid196.jpg

I've organized a submission that I'll be sending to Florida sometime next week. I'll be sure to post the results, but this submission should fill out most of my registry slots, hopefully with a lot of 9.8's. Admittedly, there are some that will be less than that, but some of these books are tough to find in pristine condition.

After this submission, I should have graded copies of all Return to New York and City at War storylines. Once this submission comes back, I think the only issues missing from the registry will be #5 2nd print and the 2009 color reprints of #1. If anyone knows of any others, please let me know. :)

Very cool Van Sciver piece! Did you give him a reference? If so, what did you use? Also, what was his reaction when you asked him to draw a Turtle? Did he jump right in or hesitate for a bit? :popcorn:

Thanks! Yeah , I sent him a few old school Laird pieces where I thought it best represented the turtles. I let him know I was in fact more of a fan of the comics. Therefor I prefer the gritty, bloodthirsty turtles. Ironically, he added the initial on the belt buckle. lol. But its cool. When I get the other 3 I want them all in the exact same style.

His reaction was excited. He said he loves the turtles and he hardly ever gets to do them. So from the get go it was a good thing. I am hoping on adding the other 3 Turtles to Leo to complete my set of ''Van Sciver Turtles''. Should be fun to see all 4!

great work peter.

I have about 8-12 books I could submit, but I am waiting to get as many as possible so I can prescreen.

I started only wanting to get #1-12 graded but I'm letting the whole collection take over.

Hey Turtle fans,

I am headed to a huge warehouse close by in New York that I found seems to have a lot of turtle comic books. They probably don't have #1 but they might have a few copies (wishful thinking). I myself am looking for just a couple books, so I figured I will be pretty much in and out for myself.

If anyone here wants me to keep a lookout for a certain book, and pick it up for them I would gladly do it. I have received a bunch of help from you guys, and I don't mind returning the favor.

So maybe something like a list of a few issues most that you might be looking for, minimum grade, and how much you expect to pay (and anything I might have forgotten) etc. If I find those books, I will try to get them as low of a price as possible up til your expected paying price. It certainly will help if I buy a bunch of stuff, I am sure the owner would give me some type of discount.

I'm headed there around 11 AM Eastern Time Saturday morning and I will check here before I go in case you read this late!

Best

-Peter

Only books I've been searching for have been #1 1st print and #3 NYCC. I wouldn't expect anyone to pass those over to me though if they themselves had the chance to purchase.

(Wishful thinking too)

I've been hoping I will find just one (maybe two or three) books that don't cost much at all but for some reason are hard to find or I don't see at all, or in really bad shape on ebay.

What is a bit discouraging, is, it's going to be pretty nasty here again with another round from good old Mr Snowstorm and all, but I'm ready to go with snow shoes and some huskies if I have to.

The more pain and struggle it takes to get there, the more gratifying it will be if they have the books I want :)