• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,277 posts in this topic

Man, I don't even have a plain ol' run of the mill copy of Turtlemania yet. WTF. I need to get on this. lol

you gotta do it, all the cool kids are doing it... ;)

Edited by kaylab

I mentioned earlier this week I'd share this, thought some might find it neat to see, two of these paper fliers for the turtlemania event came with my group of comics...

turtles_event.jpg

Odd that one of the prizes advertised wasn't a Gold Turtlemania! Instead it was original artwork from the book (still very cool).

Is it known whether the Turtlemania books themselves were available for sale at the event or were they given away as promotion items? I always assumed they were for sale but maybe they were giveaways.

I took a look at some books locally yesterday and since I'm not a big collector of TMNT (sorry) so I thought I'd see if anyone was interested (just trying to help her out). The lady has about half a long box of TMNT books (OO if that makes a difference) including two copies of 2, 3, and 4 (first print 8 - 9 grade range, maybe better). She also had others but I passed. She's not looking to get rid of them, and at what she wanted I didn't think it was worth it for me to try and resale them. Anyways, if anyone's interested send me a pm of what you're looking for and I'll ask if she still has them. BTW, she did have a number one (3rd print). What surprised me was that she's not a collector but made sure she purposely pulled two long boxes of books that did not include many Marvel or DC.

I sent in my Turtlemania Gold 6/10 to CGC, and here are the results. I don't have the book yet, but I will post pictures once I get it:

Turtlemania Special 1 1986 Metropolis Comics

Gold Edition

Qualified 9.2 WHITE

SKETCH ""6/10"" ""PETER LAIRD 5/4/86"" & ""KEVIN EASTMAN 86"" WRITTEN ON BACK COVER IN INK.

Kevin Eastman & Peter Laird cover & art

Orange outer cover.

TMNT Cerebus & Flaming Carrot

pin-up by Bob Burden.

I am very happy with the grade as I thought it might come in a little lower. So the CGC census will now have 1 9.6, 1 9.4, and 2 9.2's.

Besides my copy, are the other 3 census copies included in the 6 that are known? I know the 4/10 is not graded (at least not yet), and kaylab's 1/10 copy is not graded.

Strangely, there will soon be more graded copies of Turtlemania Gold than the Silver edition, which only has 3 right now.

Thanks for the update on your Gold....that's an awesome grade...a very nice addition to your collection.

As for the Silver copies, I never would have thought we'd see more Gold copies than Silver but, to date, that's been the case (at least for me). I can count on one hand how many Silver editions I've ever seen (and that includes my own copy).

So yes, my earlier statement is correct. There are now 6 of the 10 known to the fanbase.

I'm missing an image of one of them, but there are 3 on census, and 3 ungraded:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/Turtlemania%20Golds/

The missing photo is 9/10. So we (as a community) now have:

1/10

2/10

4/10

6/10

8/10

9/10

Leaving 3, 5, 7, and 10 still out there somewhere.

I went back and looked at some pictures.

1/10 - raw

2/10 - ?

4/10 - raw

6/10 - CGC graded 9.2

8/10 - CGC graded 9.2 or higher

9/10 - CGC graded 9.2 or higher

Is #2 graded and if so, what grade? Does anyone know the grade of 8 and 9?

As fellow TMNT collectors, what's your opinion on CGC labeling errors like this one ?

Does a grading or labeling error that's not associated with the actual comic book itself make the comic more rare or valuable?

Personally, I do no believe a grading or labeling error makes a comic more valuable or rare - it should be the comic book inside that should determine the value and rarity. While such an error makes for an interesting collectible, I don't believe it turns a $25 comic into a $1,000 comic. As a TMNT comic book collector, I'd personally be willing to pay no more than a 25% mark-up over what a non-error copy would go for.

As fellow TMNT collectors, what's your opinion on CGC labeling errors like this one ?

Does a grading or labeling error that's not associated with the actual comic book itself make the comic more rare or valuable?

Personally, I do no believe a grading or labeling error makes a comic more valuable or rare - it should be the comic book inside that should determine the value and rarity. While such an error makes for an interesting collectible, I don't believe it turns a $25 comic into a $1,000 comic. As a TMNT comic book collector, I'd personally be willing to pay no more than a 25% mark-up over what a non-error copy would go for.

Zero markup. Maybe even negative markup because, technically, it needs to be reslabbed. I've owned several label errors and none of them have earned a premium because of it. CGC label errors are very common.

Zero markup. Maybe even negative markup because, technically, it needs to be reslabbed. I've owned several label errors and none of them have earned a premium because of it. CGC label errors are very common.

+1

It's a con artist trying to catch a lemming.

Label errors happen. They are worth less because of the hassle to get the label fixed.