• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,274 posts in this topic

Thanks again, Ryan.

15287762141_e1cb693dae_c.jpg

So this happened today. USPS tried to deliver my CGC addressed (Sarasota, FL) Registered mail package with all my raw books to some address in Texas? I'm hopeful, being Registered Mail, the postal carrier understands the mistake instead of blindly knocking some door, asking for a signature, and leaving what I estimated to CGC as $28000+ worth of TMNT and what I insured with USPS for $25k, with some lucky person. I suppose if that does happen, I'll be paid $25k for them without having to go through the hassle of selling them.

I recently was able to complete a personal goal of collecting all the original TMNT oversize books in 9.8. It was quite an endeavour. This might be the first time that they have all been pictured together in 9.8 goodness:

turtlesc98_zps1954afef.jpg

turtlesb98_zps97ede968.jpg

now to get them all SS'd :insane:

Oh my God, that is bad**s!

Is one of those number one's a first printing?

Also, I still don't count Signature Series as true 9.8's. The signatures just aren't worth that much considering the large amount of them and how easily you can obtain them. The signatures also degrade the true 9.8 condition of the book since the ink will eventually bleed through to the pages beneath. Fact.

Guys he's technically right. A plain baseball is much more valuable than a signed one by let's say Babe Ruth. As then it's not considered a "true" baseball and the ink bleeds through the cover and ruins the core. Fact.

Some people like SS, lets not pizz on his parade. Its not for me but I can understand how some people prefer them to unsigned copies

It's best just to ignore him. He's been asked in the past to keep any negative feelings toward SS books to himself and just be positive about the stuff he does like but to no avail. Anymore, I just like posting SS books to see if I can get a rise out of him.

Here's one I haven't shared yet...dedicated to my buddy Oroku Saki

TMNT #62

SIGNATURE SERIES

Signed 3 times in super thick, page-melting marker. I even asked for some sketches to make sure I got plenty of ink on there.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles62SS.jpg

The label says it's a 9.8, but who knows what the "true" grade is. (shrug)

Ah, now I see. Thanks. I didn't know the poster had history with this issue

Guys he's technically right. A plain baseball is much more valuable than a signed one by let's say Babe Ruth. As then it's not considered a "true" baseball and the ink bleeds through the cover and ruins the core. Fact.

Why do you think people wade through the Delaware River and gather dirt to be sold as baseball mud? It's so the heaviest markers will not penetrate the outer hull of a baseball and damage the dilithium crystal core... Baseballs, in fact, gain an infinite mass after being signed and can no longer be thrown. Granted pitchers can grip a ball better when it's covered in mud, that's not the primary reason the mud is used.

Wake up people... Why do you think comic books have covers? They are for nothing more than preventing ink from the interior pages(where the true value of any comic lies) frpm smearing. Comic book cover art is nothing more than a ancillary bonus to protect the interior pages themselves. Who would buy a book with a blank dust jacket? You have to put art on the cover for marketing purposes. Granted, the art is usually some half arsed ten minute job by a nobody trying to break into the business, it still needs marketability to compete with other books.

Of course this will all change next year. Because, according to Back to the Future II "Dust Free" paper will have been invented and we won't need comic book covers. The transitions have already begun. For the last few years, publishers and printing companies have got smart to this ideology and have made motions to begin distributing comic books with artless covers. It's a transitional thing to acclimate the masses. You think blank covers are to be drawn on? No and once again, an ancillary bonus.

Stop getting things autographed. It does nothing to add sentiment and everything to waste the person/s who doing the signing/s time.

Disputes about signatures aside, I'm not sure I have the cahunas to crack any of the slabs...I would be devastated if I dropped a grade. In the mean time I'm quite happy to preserve blue labels for Oruko...although the ink used on the interior pages may spread and leak through the cover, it's on every page, oh the horror!

Disputes about signatures aside, I'm not sure I have the cahunas to crack any of the slabs...I would be devastated if I dropped a grade. In the mean time I'm quite happy to preserve blue labels for Oruko...although the ink used on the interior pages may spread and leak through the cover, it's on every page, oh the horror!

If you haven't done it, I totally see your POV. I did it with a RAI #1 9.8 blue to get Layton's and Michelenie's sig's at different times and it came back a 9.8 again. That one I cracked at home(1st time jitters were in full effect!). I also recently did it with a 9.8 TMNT vol. 4 #32 SS in Boston. I did that one at the CGC table, they cracked the case, cut the protective mylar and carefully removed the comic, I was handed the raw book the book and placed it in my 4 mil mylar window bag. Haven't got the grade yet. If it drops grade, it drops grade and there will be a lesson learned. I'll openly admit I'm not that big of a grade junkie, so take my words/opinion's at face value.

I'm not 100% positive, but think the grade remains the same provided there are no added defects that have not been remarked on the grader's notes. Pretty sure this is why you're asked to provide the blue label when getting 1st time sig's and are required to provide the yellow label when re-submitting with additional sig's. Maybe someone with more experience can clarify.

If you are not a fan of signatures, why do own quite a few of SS TMNT books?

I'm a huge fan of SS books! I have some of the driest humor out there. Please add another point to my hydrophobic satirical rant count...

Imagine shipping overseas from Canada/USA and hoping your package arrives safely internationally.

That's basically me every time getting things from EBay, Comiclink, etc. I'd love subsidiaries of CGC to be worldwide too, so Signature Series aren't just in the US and can get things slabbed nationally also (in Australia). Halo Certifications here have yet to respond to any of my enquiries ...

Comic Art Con is such a great show for the OA lover! You walk into a small banquet room(~35' x 70') and whammy... I'd definitely say a million $ of OA at retail, easy...

There's so much Kirby, your head spins, then you stumble across Ditko, Byrne, Milgrom, Cockrum, Frazetta, McFarlane, Windsor-Smith, Miller, just about anyone you can think of.

As I'm looking through a portfolio, I eavesdrop on a dealer and buyer ironing out a $62K deal. Man, it was like watching pro's play Texas Hold 'em.

Here's some of the pics I snapped:

This page was really cool because I've never seen TMNT drawn on the dotted duo-shade paper, always the hatched paper. Really cool contrast to the norm. Note the dots in the second pic. I also have no idea what it's from... Maybe a CBG promo or some other PR-ish type story?

15307872841_5e0fbbd337_z.jpg

15124259169_11e12e9afb_z.jpg

I know this has floated around for a while, but it was badarse seeing in right in fron of me.

15309051792_3282df1d8e_z.jpg

A nice Bode page from Vol. 1 #32

15126078818_9a5b48091c_z.jpg

Some good ole Laird for ya

15122795457_dbcf776939_z.jpg

The CrimeMaster page caught my eye(top middle). It's a Ditko page from ASM Annual #2's pinup gallery

15312296632_18201a2ce7_z.jpg

Nice Byrne panels from FF's "The Trial of Galactus"(or better "Let's burn Mr. Fantastic at the stake")

15125896899_25cfb3b294_z.jpg

Other noteworthy pages(I'm mainly a Marvel guy outside TMNT so I'm sure there was plenty missed...)

+ Twice up page 1 splash from The Uncanny X-Men vol. 1 issue 4

+ Marvel Tales 234 cover(sweet McFarlane cover!)

If you haven't done it, I totally see your POV. I did it with a RAI #1 9.8 blue to get Layton's and Michelenie's sig's at different times and it came back a 9.8 again. That one I cracked at home(1st time jitters were in full effect!). I also recently did it with a 9.8 TMNT vol. 4 #32 SS in Boston. I did that one at the CGC table, they cracked the case, cut the protective mylar and carefully removed the comic, I was handed the raw book the book and placed it in my 4 mil mylar window bag. Haven't got the grade yet. If it drops grade, it drops grade and there will be a lesson learned. I'll openly admit I'm not that big of a grade junkie, so take my words/opinion's at face value.

I'm not 100% positive, but think the grade remains the same provided there are no added defects that have not been remarked on the grader's notes. Pretty sure this is why you're asked to provide the blue label when getting 1st time sig's and are required to provide the yellow label when re-submitting with additional sig's. Maybe someone with more experience can clarify.

If you are not a fan of signatures, why do own quite a few of SS TMNT books?

I'm a huge fan of SS books! I have some of the driest humor out there. Please add another point to my hydrophobic satirical rant count...

While I wish that was how it worked, SS does not work that way. Once you crack open the book for SS it gets fully regraded. There is no guarantee that the book comes back the same grade, regardless of if the defects are the same. The reason you have to submit the previous yellow label is to retain the chain of custody when adding sigs, otherwise the previous sig is not certified. Technically you cannot crack a yellow label. It is supposed to be cracked out by CGC or the facilitator. If you crack out a book and bring it prebagged with the label to CGC or the facilitator, they are SUPPOSED to treat it as never being SS in the first place. Now this doesn't always happen but it's supposed to.