• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,282 posts in this topic

That's a really nice piece :D

As a novice to collecting original artwork, where would be the best places to look? (bar KE's website, CC, HA and Evilbay)

I wouldn't mind getting a piece of Volume 1 if I can.

The best places to look are the ones you make a purchase from... Food for thought.

To better your chances would be to diversify your hunting skills as much as possible. I'm fairly new to the game and have found pages from some of your mentioned sources in addition to web hunting, artist corresponding, con attending and general "right place at the right time" luck...

I have found con attending to be a big source for recent aqquisitions... NYCC artist alley yesterday was chock full of TMNT OA, granted I didn't see any volume 1 floating around. And, I will admit my taste for TMNT OA reaches way beyond E&L pages which carry the largest demand and price tag...

Best of luck in your endeavor. I say luck, because luck managed to have Tom McWeeney sitting in my mother's dining room talking shop for over an hour yesterday. He's an awesome guy with great talent. Oh yeah, I bought some volume one pages from him too... Issue 34 is just the comic sitting there for reference.

All Ohio Graphics Art Systems Paper. the DPS is about the size of the Lawson/Talbot commish I have in the works. The top panel in the page right below the issue 34 comic is the SH**! Eastman and Laird battling for world domination. Tom is really good people!!! And yes, that is an Aquarian Dream 12" L.P. under the upper left page... "You're a Star" is worth checking out on youtube

15316482577_a357294873_k.jpg

BTW your fellow countryman Jon Sommiriva is definitely a artist to keep your eye out for down under. He has done work for TMNT IDW, but his style and take on the terrapins is effing awesome. Grab a commisision if you can! His portfolio yesterday had me wishing I had an extra $1K to spend. 11 x 17 single character pinup set that was breathtaking...

All great points in regards to finding OA and wonderful Tom McWeeney pieces you picked up!

On the CGC front, I've picked up my first slab in yearsssss. I used to have a pretty decent 9.8 run but decided to sell to focus on my energy (and $$$!) on original art. A few of those slabs are still with some fellow boardies here which is awesome, like the sole #11 in 9.8 as well as Raphael 9.8 SS. Anyways, I've decided to pick up a few slabs to compliment my OA interests, namely early Eastman & Laird. I don't want to spend 9.8 dollars, since I'm still actively funneling every spare nickel into art, but I think a 9.6 run will do nicely. So I'm going to do a 1-11, plus 5 micro issues, and the RTNY 19-21 in 9.6 and only first prints. And if possible, SS on those books as well. Just a small simple run (hopefully, I can keep it small and not let my crazy collector gene take over... :insane: ) With that said, I've picked up my first book:

FugitoidSS96Front_zps9583001e.jpg

FugitoidSS96Back_zpse84a0f19.jpg

Which will go nicely with my original cover art me thinks...

Fugitoid_zpsd88688ce.jpg

So one down, and about 18 books to go! :headbang: And not to turn this into a WTB, but if any of you guys have a book or 2 that might help me along my way I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you sir! I love these new pages.

Best of luck with your slab hunt!

I posted my haul from NYCC and scanned/posted all the McWeeney pages HERE if anyone's interested. I was going to go back today, but things fell through.

And congratulations Archon!

That is an awesome set Archon and congrats on the bub!

I'll keep a look out for OA and thanks for the recommendations. Cons here aren't ares prolific as they are in the states so I'll probably need to keep an eye out on overseas sites and auction houses. As for volume 1 9.8s, I may be interested TMNT, although my funds at the moment are running a little low :(

That said, very shortly I'll be booking tickets to fly down to Melbourne for the Armageddon Expo this weekend, as Kevin will be attending Sunday! Still trying to work out what to take down to him, I may even just get him to do some sketches instead. No SS series here I'm afraid as CGC don't want to expand outside of the states (they're loss, big time). I don't know if/when Kevin will be out here again so I'm going to have to make the most of it!

Interesting question. They first appear as humans in TMNT Adventures mini-series #1, August 1988. As mutants: TMNT Adventures mini-series #2, October 1988.

However, those issues are based on cartoon episodes. I believe their first appearance in an original comic story is TMNT Adventures regular series #5, which is the issue when the series decided to divert from adapting the cartoon series.

If you're an "ad is the first appearance" kind of person, they first appear in an ad for TMNT toys in Mirage TMNT volume 1 #13, February 1988.

Thanks! I'm going with the #2 then.

Interesting question. They first appear as humans in TMNT Adventures mini-series #1, August 1988. As mutants: TMNT Adventures mini-series #2, October 1988.

However, those issues are based on cartoon episodes. I believe their first appearance in an original comic story is TMNT Adventures regular series #5, which is the issue when the series decided to divert from adapting the cartoon series.

If you're an "ad is the first appearance" kind of person, they first appear in an ad for TMNT toys in Mirage TMNT volume 1 #13, February 1988.

Since it's a turtles book and 20 minutes of forum searching didn't get me the answer, I'll ask here. I had a vol. 4 TMNT book blue labeled with a vol. 3 label. The book hasn't shipped and I was given the grade. How much should I be calling CGC to make sure this gets corrected before they ship it out? My invoice was filled out by a rep at the CGC table at the Boston con this year. I don't want to be a nuisance, but would like to have it fixed without sending it back.

Thanks in advance for any advice

-----

Edit: The book was a TMNT v.4 #30. Per the CGC census, the other 2 books on census are listed as:

Title: TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Issue No: v3 #30

Issue Date: 5/09

Year: 2009

Publisher: Mirage Studios

-----

So I guess I am incorrect in stating the book is Vol. 4 even though we know it as Vol. 4. I'll have to check a raw copy when I get home. The rep says the grader's use the indicia inside, which I have never really bothered to study. Crisis averted, I guess... My CDO is definitely being tested right now!

Edited by sofistocat

That's strange...are you saying the indicia calls volume 4, issue #30 "volume 3"? What do the rest of the volume 4 books read? Was this an error in the indicia or do all books we consider volume 4 have indicias read "volume 3"? I'll have to break out some books and look. That would be odd since even though Mirage doesn't recognize the Image books as canon, they still list it as "volume 3" and Mirage's 2001 TMNT title as "volume 4".

Also, you must have some pull at CGC. They only give out grades once the books have shipped so for you to have the grade without the book shipping is pretty uncommon.

That's strange...are you saying the indicia calls volume 4, issue #30 "volume 3"? What do the rest of the volume 4 books read? Was this an error in the indicia or do all books we consider volume 4 have indicias read "volume 3"? I'll have to break out some books and look. That would be odd since even though Mirage doesn't recognize the Image books as canon, they still list it as "volume 3" and Mirage's 2001 TMNT title as "volume 4".

Also, you must have some pull at CGC. They only give out grades once the books have shipped so for you to have the grade without the book shipping is pretty uncommon.

Yeah, I'm not sure. The label per the CGC rep supposedly reads vol. 3 #30, which is what raised my flag. My comics are in storage 15 miles away so it's not like I can go there every time I have a question, which has happened alot since I put them there. If you look at CGC's census, any other TMNT V. 4 issue was "V.4 #x" except for issue 30. Was it possibly due to there being significant time gaps between publishings? It would make sense, I guess since V. 4 is technically Mirage v. 3. I may take a run up tonight if I can get some stuff packed.

I don't think I have any more pull than anybody else. It's been my experience that once a book has gone through final quality check, they will disclose the grade over the phone. I don't really deal with them but a few times a year, so I'm not sure.

Either way, I have a 9.8 v.4 #32 blue label and a 9.6 #30 Blue label coming back. Pretty happy about that. Finger's crossed I kept my 9.8 grade adding 2 sigs to my previous 4 sig v.4 #32. All three are going to help fund my OA budget...

Pic by chance?

I'm not overly concerned, or at least I don't think I need to be. The other books on the census, are all labeled v. 3. But, that is sort of baffling the graders missed that. I know they were having a bi*** of a time trying to figure out which artists to credit for #32(per reliable source) when all you had to do was flip the book open... hm

Edited by sofistocat

Thanks Pliggs! If my book hasn't shipped, think I'm gonna ask to have it corrected. CDO won't stand for anything less...

EDIT: Ok so I called CGC at 9:00 AM EST sharp 10/16/2014. The rep, different from the two I spoke to yeserday, stated the #30 was labeled as a volume four TMNT issue and not volume three. I'm thouroughly perplexed, but hopelful my correspondence yesterday was erroneous. We'll see...

Edited by sofistocat

Just got this piece back from the frame shop. Takes a little while longer to do when it's this high end glass and better mat/materials. :) Big thanks again to Danny(TMNT) for selling me this piece. I decided on this color mat for all my artwork. It's the perfect green to me and it even has that "shell" feel to it because of the darker/lighter green spots.

IMG_0024.jpg