• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,332 posts in this topic

There are a large number of slab collectors that won't even look at Green Label books. If you ever intend on reselling them, going the Green Label route won't do you any favors.

Personally, I like matching sets. If I were going to get a whole set, I try to go for all graded or all raw. If they are one-off books, mixing and matching is fine.

If the number really bothers you, perhaps you can buy some TMNT stickers to put over them. Otherwise, you could crack them out and outfit them in nice mylars and fullbacks. It really comes down to you...what are you looking for in a set? Something to read? Something to display? Something to protect?

Cool books! :cool:

Yep, so I unslabbed them last night. I like them better raw.

So, was it the grade the books received that you didn't like? or that you couldn't see the sketches? both? Cool to see the sketches I guess...

Both

I bought them slabbed because I got a good deal. I originally wanted them raw.

Cool sketches. Bandana up, Bandana down. I have a #30 with a Berger sketch in the back.

-----

It seems I became a convergence point for some international buyers who wanted to save on shipping... The set will be broken up very soon, but I took a group shot to commemorate. If only I had a Splinter and maybe the Shredder too ;)

15656365538_5a893f7d7a_b.jpg

Cool sketches. Bandana up, Bandana down. I have a #30 with a Berger sketch in the back.

-----

It seems I became a convergence point for some international buyers who wanted to save on shipping... The set will be broken up very soon, but I took a group shot to commemorate. If only I had a Splinter and maybe the Shredder too ;)

15656365538_5a893f7d7a_b.jpg

Wow! Those are really nice!

This thread needed a little :bump:

Another acquisition from Baltimore Con this year; this one from Ren McKinzie. Years ago, Ren did a series of prints that he sold at Mid-Ohio Comic Con (pre-Wizard) of all the Turtles with the letters "T M N T" in the background, one for each character. As a surprise, my wife contacted him and bought the originals for me. These can be seen in my CAF gallery.

Fast forward a few years and Ren put out the bad guy version with "F O O T" in the background. I'm not generally a big fan of Bebop & Rocksteady, but I think they steal the show in this case. Below are the prints and the original pencils.

th_TMNTMcKinzie-VillainsRocksteadyPrint.jpgth_TMNTMcKinzie-VillainsKaraiPrint.jpgth_TMNTMcKinzie-VillainsShredderPrint.jpgth_TMNTMcKinzie-VillainsBebopPrint.jpg

th_TMNTMcKinzie-VillainsRocksteady.jpgth_TMNTMcKinzie-VillainsKarai.jpgth_TMNTMcKinzie-VillainsShredder.jpgth_TMNTMcKinzie-VillainsBebop.jpg

Ren threw in a bonus mini-print too:

TMNTMcKinzie-TeamChibi.jpg

I agree....things need to pick up! I am slowing my TMNT collecting and buying down as much as I can help....but I still love seeing other people's new stuff!! I find I don't check this thread that often any more as most of the action seems to be at the Technodrome boards.

Here are my pick-ups from the SuperMegaFest a couple of weeks ago

An eBay seller sent me this cel for free when I purchased a Usagi figure from him. I think the cel is hilarious with Jedi Usagi & Punker Don. Just need Pete to sign it...then remove it from its yucky yellowing paper frame and re-frame it.

20141122_121331_zpsmkv8zy6z.jpg

I started another Mirage group print....just everyone else to go!

20141122_121512_zpsefvsgvkb.jpg

My signed NECA boxed set FINALLY signed (which I actually purchased from Mirage a few years ago for $35 :tgrin: ) It is still in the cardboard protective coffin I built for it today. I will be getting an acrylic case for it. This is probably in my top 5 fav items in my collection.

20141122_121651_zpszcskckyf.jpg

I purchased these at the show. I was asked if I wanted them personalized, but asked if he could fill in the bandannas red instead....I think it makes them look 10x better and they really pop!!

20141122_121156_zpskyhawoma.jpg