• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

taken abit of a gamble tonight with this x-men lot, need most to close a x-men run, just hope his grading isnt pony.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230787770615?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1287

Looks a risky one to me, mate. Chances of decent grading are slim, I blew the picture up but it was to blurry to make much out from it. The # 4 & 6 look to be pence copies from it. Wasn't sure if there was a big chip out of the spine of the # 6.

Let us know how it goes.

well says no returns but if well off grading i will return as ebays policy, i dont mind pence copies, just want to finish off runs

taken abit of a gamble tonight with this x-men lot, need most to close a x-men run, just hope his grading isnt pony.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230787770615?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1287

Looks a risky one to me, mate. Chances of decent grading are slim, I blew the picture up but it was to blurry to make much out from it. The # 4 & 6 look to be pence copies from it. Wasn't sure if there was a big chip out of the spine of the # 6.

Let us know how it goes.

well says no returns but if well off grading i will return as ebays policy, i dont mind pence copies, just want to finish off runs

Has 2 negs in the last 6 months regarding grading so its a crap shoot!

:wishluck:

I had it on the page for a hour thinking if to go for it or not, his avengers 4 grading looks shady, but again if way off will refund through PayPal and hope they finally learn to grade

Question for any EBay pros...

If I have bid on an item, say £9.05 with a max of £14.75, and someone beats me with two seconds to go by outbidding by 50p, do you think they are using a bidding software? If they are is there a way of knowing or beating them.

Sorry for the question, but I do not use FleeBay hat often.

Cheers.

If I have bid on an item, say £9.05 with a max of £14.75, and someone beats me with two seconds to go by outbidding by 50p, do you think they are using a bidding software? If they are is there a way of knowing or beating them.

Cheers.

There is no way of telling for sure whether or not they are using software. In any case it makes no practical difference - they could just be watching the auction and entering their bid with 2 seconds to go.

Not sure what you mean by "beating them". You set a maximum and they bid higher. How would you envisage beating someone in that situation? you can't stop people from bidding at the last second (why would you want to?) and you can't bid higher than your max.

My advice is to use sniping software if you are concerned about this kind of thing. There is a long standing debate on these boards about whether it's ethical or not - leaving that aside, it works. That way you can set your maximum and bid it at the last second, so there is no chance that you get over-excited and bid higher than you really want to (which is the danger if you are goign in with the mindset of "beating" the next highest bidder.

Adam

Cheers.

There is no way of telling for sure whether or not they are using software. In any case it makes no practical difference - they could just be watching the auction and entering their bid with 2 seconds to go.

Not sure what you mean by "beating them". You set a maximum and they bid higher. How would you envisage beating someone in that situation? you can't stop people from bidding at the last second (why would you want to?) and you can't bid higher than your max.

My advice is to use sniping software if you are concerned about this kind of thing. There is a long standing debate on these boards about whether it's ethical or not - leaving that aside, it works. That way you can set your maximum and bid it at the last second, so there is no chance that you get over-excited and bid higher than you really want to (which is the danger if you are goign in with the mindset of "beating" the next highest bidder.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for that. My reason for being miffed is that if it was a late bid then they would not have bid so high, usually only a pound or so above my current bid -which was £9.05. Where I am pee'd is that the software can bid higher than my max (£14.75) and I would have no time to react - that is cheating or maximising the internet system. (shrug)

Oh well, a lesson learnt.

Cheers,

Brian

Ps - I will just sulk like a bad loser :taptaptap:

Cheers.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for that. My reason for being miffed is that if it was a late bid then they would not have bid so high, usually only a pound or so above my current bid -which was £9.05. Where I am pee'd is that the software can bid higher than my max (£14.75) and I would have no time to react - that is cheating or maximising the internet system. (shrug)

Cheers,

Brian

I bid on ebay a couple of times a week and put my maximum in at the last few seconds, so if your high bid showing was £9.05 and my max was £20, with 5 seconds to go I would bid £20.

5 seconds usually gets me a bid with 1-2 seconds left.

If I bid any earlier and get outbid, I have been known to go over my limit.

Bidding in the last seconds does not give me a second chance, so really I do this to protect myself...because I am so weak when it comes to comics. :cry:lol:insane:

Cheers.

Adam

Adam,

Cheers,

Brian

I bid on ebay a couple of times a week and put my maximum in at the last few seconds, so if your high bid showing was £9.05 and my max was £20, with 5 seconds to go I would bid £20.

5 seconds usually gets me a bid with 1-2 seconds left.

If I bid any earlier and get outbid, I have been known to go over my limit.

Bidding in the last seconds does not give me a second chance, so really I do this to protect myself...because I am so weak when it comes to comics. :cry:lol:insane:

That makes sense - I should have bidded higher or waited until the last minute like you suggest. (thumbs u

Cheers.

Adam

Adam,

Cheers,

Brian

Most experienced ebayers wouldn’t bid only a pound above the then highest bid with a few seconds to go though - you don’t know what the maximum bid of the highest bidder actually is.

The result you described is exactly the same thing that would have happened if I had bid a maximum of £20 manually with two seconds to go. In both cases, eBay automatically bids the lowest amount that is the required increment higher than the previous bid, up to the maximum set. So whether they enter a bid of £15.25 exactly, or of £2000, the actual winning bid will only be a tiny amount above your max.

The only advantage the software gives you is a guarantee that you can place your max bid at the last second (most only guarantee it will go through if you set it to 5 seconds or more, but it has worked every time for me at 2 seconds) without having to be at the computer.

It is annoying when someone beats you at the last second, but you haven’t been done over, by the software or otherwise!

Edited by Balham's Finest

Cheers.

Adam

Adam,

Cheers,

Brian

Most experienced ebayers wouldn’t bid only a pound above the then highest bid with a few seconds to go though - you don’t know what the maximum bid of the highest bidder actually is.

The result you described is exactly the same thing that would have happened if I had bid a maximum of £20 manually with two seconds to go. In both cases, eBay automatically bids the lowest amount that is the required increment higher than the previous bid, up to the maximum set. So whether they enter a bid of £15.25 exactly, or of £2000, the actual winning bid will only be a tiny amount above your max.

The only advantage the software gives you is a guarantee that you can place your max bid at the last second (most only guarantee it will go through if you set it to 5 seconds or more, but it has worked every time for me at 2 seconds) without having to be at the computer.

It is annoying when someone beats you at the last second, but you haven’t been done over, by the software or otherwise!

It is a lesson learnt. I will leave my bidding until the end of the auction. I have not been using EBay long, usually get my comics directly from dealers. But thought I was missing something. And when that odd book comes up that I need and then just miss it after waiting patiently for seven days is effing annoying - yes I am a sore loser :mad:

Like Kevin.J says, I wait until the last 5 seconds and put in a bid that I am prepared to pay for the book, if I win, great, if not, I wait until another comes along, I have seen me miss out on a book, only to win it cheaper next time around. :grin:

Last week i had 39 auctions, if they sold at price with 20 seconds to go i would of had 210 Quid, the next 20 seconds i sold them for 605 quid, sure it was down to snipe software

Edited by Arsenalherd

At the end of the day, does it matter if they placed a bid in the last few seconds manually or using software? The result is the same.

Moral of the story is bid higher if you're willing to pay that much. :baiting:

At the end of the day, does it matter if they placed a bid in the last few seconds manually or using software? The result is the same.

Moral of the story is bid higher if you're willing to pay that much. :baiting:

I know doh!