• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

It really does not make sense that the Ff etc are loved and the X-Men hated when the only difference is power by birth or cosmic rays.

I think the mutants actually like being hated and wallow in their outsider status.

At the end of the day its all about marketing and promotion and the FF are better at that than the muties.

I think the X-Men should have been seperate from the universe that Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Cap America etc inhabit.

Because to me, it now conflicts with one another.

Then you need to suspend your disbelief, this is a fifty year old continuity that way too many people have with over the years after all :baiting:

It really does not make sense that the Ff etc are loved and the X-Men hated when the only difference is power by birth or cosmic rays.

I think the mutants actually like being hated and wallow in their outsider status.

At the end of the day its all about marketing and promotion and the FF are better at that than the muties.

I think the X-Men should have been seperate from the universe that Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Cap America etc inhabit.

Then you need to suspend your disbelief, this is a fifty year old continuity that way too many people have with over the years after all :baiting:

Hey I'm just a Bat guy (:

And before you mention it, those 50s outer space shenanigans never happened (tsk)

Bruce Wayne woke up in a shower in the mid Silver age, it was all just a dream.

And before you mention it, those 50s outer space shenanigans never happened (tsk)

:signfunny:

Out of interest, do you actually collect those fifties issues? I always thought ShockedRobin would be a cool board name.

:signfunny:

Out of interest, do you actually collect those fifties issues? I always thought ShockedRobin would be a cool board name.

Trying to complete a whole run, so unfortunately yes :cry:

In honesty, I do like some of the quirky covers but I don't think I'd want to read them.

One important difference is the Fantastic four were well know as scientists before they became super-powered. They went on a mission and the accident was well documented leading to their powers. It's a known force that the public are able to get to grips with. The mutant phenom isn't as simple and neither is spider-man with his secrecy.

People are afraid of the unknown, The fantastic Four, Captain America, Iron Man et al are not unknown entities but well documented and well publicised super heroes, the others are not.

Read the Marvels, it's a great read about how normal people respond to the growing super hero population, very highly recomended and read it myself, only last week :)

Personally I find it eaiser to justify this than the way in which DC super heroes are imagined and their place in society (shrug)

One important difference is the Fantastic four were well know as scientists before they became super-powered. They went on a mission and the accident was well documented leading to their powers. It's a known force that the public are able to get to grips with. The mutant phenom isn't as simple and neither is spider-man with his secrecy.

People are afraid of the unknown, The fantastic Four, Captain America, Iron Man et al are not unknown entities but well documented and well publicised super heroes, the others are not.

Read the Marvels, it's a great read about how normal people respond to the growing super hero population, very highly recomended and read it myself, only last week :)

Personally I find it eaiser to justify this than the way in which DC super heroes are imagined and their place in society (shrug)

Somone once said...

"Marvels heroes are ones you can identify with, DC's heroes are ones you can aspire to be like". Somewhat true.

Although my love of console games (I'm a 360 owner) wants' me to participate here, I think it's time for a brief interruption.

LSCC moderns were graded earlier this week

:whee:

Just e-mailed for the grades.

Uncanny X-Men 128 sig series (Stan and George) 9.4

(Actually was a fast track economy so it would ship with the non-fast track moderns)

GFT 60 (Sela) 9.8

GFT 60 (Belinda) 9.8

GFT 61 (SDCC 11) 9.6 :(

GFT 63 (Fan Expo) - 2 copies, both 9.8

GFT 64 (Ltd edition) 9.8

GFT 65 (Beachbum Sela) 9.8

GFT 65 (Beachbum Belinda) 9.8

Very happy with all but the GFT 61. The best news though is the score on the NYX 3 I picked off the shelf at LSCC from the APIS stand for £20.

:whee:

I'd actually had both their copies in hand but stupidly put one back :doh:

I submitted 3 books myself and very happy with 2 and disapointed with the other, although I told myself these weren't for grades but for the sigs :/

The Waking #1 Ebas cover (signed by Drujiniu and Ebas) - 9.2

The Waking #4 Pheonix comic con - infamous cover (signed by Drujiniu and Ebas) - 9.8

The Waking #5 Zombie buffet variant (signed by Drujiniu, Ebas and Andrews) - 9.8

Somone once said...

"Marvels heroes are ones you can identify with, DC's heroes are ones you can aspire to be like". Somewhat true.

I can see this :) Although I would say Captain America may be a better role model that all of the DC charactors. Not my favorite, but certainly one I would love to aspire to be like. (thumbs u

I think that the main reason that mutants are feared and hated in the Marvel universe is because they are seen as the next step in human evolution and perceived to be a different species that will replace the existing humanity. Some humans have been portrayed as hating mutants as they believe it is a fight for the survival of their species. This is contrary to people who were normal humans but just got enhanced by gamma rays, radioactive spiders or mouldy bread as they are not seen as a separate species.

Oh and Hercules is an Olympian rather than Asgradian and there are lots of other pantheons of "gods" in the MU which are most frequently seen in Thor comics. The Egyptian "gods" have been seen a bit and one of them gave Moon Knight his abilities.

e=gaz2810i]

Hey Gary :hi:

Good points well put

I think that the main reason that mutants are feared and hated in the Marvel universe is because they are seen as the next step in human evolution and perceived to be a different species that will replace the existing humanity. Some humans have been portrayed as hating mutants as they believe it is a fight for the survival of their species. This is contrary to people who were normal humans but just got enhanced by gamma rays, radioactive spiders or mouldy bread as they are not seen as a separate species.

Oh and Hercules is an Olympian rather than Asgradian and there are lots of other pantheons of "gods" in the MU which are most frequently seen in Thor comics. The Egyptian "gods" have been seen a bit and one of them gave Moon Knight his abilities.

Very good point (thumbs u

Edited by gaz2810i

Somone once said...

I can see this :) Although I would say Captain America may be a better role model that all of the DC charactors. Not my favorite, but certainly one I would love to aspire to be like. (thumbs u

Superman for me.

Who on earth is going to want the Villa job? I'm still not sure how a potentially very good club had such an awful season...

Not defending McLeish, but he did have some bad luck with injuries towards the end of the season.

As for who will jump in... Not sure... I would have given McLeish another season.

Who on earth is going to want the Villa job? I'm still not sure how a potentially very good club had such an awful season...

Not defending McLeish, but he did have some bad luck with injuries towards the end of the season.

As for who will jump in... Not sure... I would have given McLeish another season.

If you want stability... I'd give it to Curbs. (shrug)