• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC '10 - It's Never Too Early!

855 posts in this topic

I haven't booked my hotel either...what is the best deal folks have found?

YMCA $112 per night singles and $122 for doubles.

You know you can't really leave anything in your room at those places, right? There are a lot of transients. You share a bathroom (which is not a big deal to some if you enjoyed being in a dorm) and there are security guards?

There are decent hotels right out of the city that are not that much more expensive.

They do have security guards, but yes it's better to grab a hotel out of the city. Only problem I'm flying.

You make it sound like it's difficult to get out of the city :o There are services that will take you from JFK or La Guardia to access trains which leave the city P: There are also buses out of the city.

It's a hassle not knowing your way around.

I'm taking the 11:40 pm Amtrak out of Penn Station back upstate. I can snooze on the train and I'd rather get in at 3 o'clock in the morning than stay in a NYC Hotel right now. The thought of bedbugs totally grosses me out.

And I can't believe people are even considering the Y. :eek: That's where I would stay if my home was destroyed and I absolutely had no other choice. Not some place I would use to go to a comic show.

You make it sound like it's difficult to get out of the city :o There are services that will take you from JFK or La Guardia to access trains which leave the city P: There are also buses out of the city.

It's a hassle not knowing your way around.

Research beforehand! Plus there are always bus/train schedules floating around :3

Sha, for me I'd personally rather stay in the city. I'd rather pay a little more to save time and have a more convenient location.

Are there any hotels that have gotten a "pass" as far as bed bugs are concerned?

Is there any legislating body or travel group that has a write up on better hotels?

This might be a question for Andre (campued1010) as he seems to know a lot about this stuff.

hm

I posted the links Roy...you can put in the hotel you are thinking about and it will tell you IF the hotel has been reported...

No guarantee though and "better" just means more expensive, not necessarily bug free.

If you want to take a chance do Priceline, put in 5 stars, and the area...you'll get the best price if you do that offer thing, like in Chicago.

As a part time Manhattanite, the issue with bed bugs isn't hotel related, it's subway wooden waiting bench related. You'll be ok or at risk just about anywhere, honestly. You just have to like the location. (thumbs u

Sha, for me I'd personally rather stay in the city. I'd rather pay a little more to save time and have a more convenient location.

Are there any hotels that have gotten a "pass" as far as bed bugs are concerned?

Is there any legislating body or travel group that has a write up on better hotels?

This might be a question for Andre (campued1010) as he seems to know a lot about this stuff.

hm

Sha is correct, I use the website she referenced. Choosing a 5 star vs a one star hotel, guarantees nothing. These critters can be anywhere. I usually keep checking trip advisor on the hotel and look at the most recent posts to see if there were any problems. I will say I have had good luck this year with 4 star hotwire/priceline winning bids. Let's hope this continues for NY.

As a part time Manhattanite, the issue with bed bugs isn't hotel related, it's subway wooden waiting bench related. You'll be ok or at risk just about anywhere, honestly. You just have to like the location. (thumbs u

This is true. You're just as likely to get them off someone's clothes in a crowded place (like a con). So stay home! More books for me. Of course, if we're too scared to come to NYC, then the bed bug terrorists have already won.

Interesting that there was an article in the NY TIMES this morning about the bugs...

I certainly would not stay home, but I would avoid places like the Y which are not known for cleanliness.

I would inspect a room before I slept there, and would not put clothing on the bed, or the floor, keep my suitcase in place where nothing is stuffed or material and I'd use plastic bags for clothing in the suticase. Personally, I'm considering going over my suitcases with a hot hairdryer before I leave, lol.

When I get home I leave my suitcase downstairs and I wash everything. There is not much else you can do. It's not the plague, but why mess around?

Here is the article, hope it formats correctly. .

September 4, 2010

In Search of a Bedbug Solution

As bedbugs proliferate once again in New York City and other major urban areas, it is tempting to pray for a technological miracle to zap the pests into extinction. Alas, there is none. Frustrated New Yorkers and other victims will have to rely on an array of techniques that can often be costly, cumbersome, time-consuming — and only partially effective.

After virtually disappearing from this country for decades, bedbugs may have been brought back by travelers from abroad. The bugs are showing up in all sorts of places — not just where people sleep, like hotels and residential units, but also in the occasional movie house or clothing store. A survey last year by the New York City health department found that 6.7 percent of adult New Yorkers — some 400,000 people — reported a problem with bedbugs that required an exterminator in the previous 12 months.

There are few sure-fire ways to turn the tide. Even the original magic bullet, DDT, would misfire if brought back today because bedbugs long ago became resistant to it on a large scale. Critics who blame environmentalists for disarming us against bedbugs might better blame the inevitable development of resistance, hastened by overuse of chemicals.

Some pest controllers are placing their hopes on resuscitating propoxur, a highly toxic chemical that was phased out of indoor uses because it could cause nervous-system damage in children. Ohio and Kentucky have asked the Environmental Protection Agency to allow professional exterminators to use it indoors, and other states may follow suit. The requests are based in part on laboratory tests by a Kentucky entomologist on small groups of bedbugs. Some of today’s leading pesticides could not kill even half of the bugs, while propoxur wiped them all out in two hours. The E.P.A. is studying whether there might be limited situations — a nursing home with no children present — where it could be used.

Propoxur would probably kill better than current pesticides, but nobody expects it could be an all-purpose solution the way DDT once was. Pesticides need to be supplemented with non-chemical options, like heat or steam treatments, vacuuming, tossing infested sheets or clothes into a hot washer or dryer, encasing mattresses to entomb the bugs, and sealing crevices. It is hard to know whether these tactics will be enough to reverse the rapid rise of infestations.

Bedbugs are not known to transmit any diseases, and their bite is almost never felt. But the bite triggers an allergic reaction — mostly itchy bumps or welts and, in rare cases, fatal shock. The primary damage, besides the potentially high cost of extermination, is emotional and psychological. Government and industry need to expedite the search for better solutions. The public’s tolerance for bedbugs is near zero.

Those who are driving may want to sleep in their cars. You can bring your

own blanket and pillow and if you're worried about getting any on you while

in NYC, discard the pillow and blanket after the trip.

Did anyone else get nasty PMs from this "gentleman"?