• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC '10 - It's Never Too Early!

855 posts in this topic

I knew I would get slammed for my post, but I am entitled to my opinion just like anyone else. And I have a right to be confused about having someone other then the creative team on an issue sign the issue. Its almost disrespectful IMO. And stoopid has a spoon filter. Also it irritates me that Stan charges so much for his signature. He has made a dumptruck load of cash off the collecting community over decades, you would think 20 bucks would be a little nicer? I respect everything the man has done with the exception of hosing his fans for a signature.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, everyone should collect what they like. I am not saying anyone is stoopid for getting a signature on a book, I am saying that other then the creative team that worked on it I dont get.

And I will bust Forrests rocks whenever I feel the urge. Because I feel that we are cool enough with eachother to do so.

it's not stan hosing as much as certain people with "exclusives" that have been hosing people for ages. (not talking about you Sean as your fees have been fair)

Really? Not being sarcastic at all. But is this really why it is so expensive? Because $100 and whatever dollars for a SS book is ridiculous. I would be interested to hear about anyone doing it for a realistic fee.

I knew I would get slammed for my post, but I am entitled to my opinion just like anyone else. And I have a right to be confused about having someone other then the creative team on an issue sign the issue. Its almost disrespectful IMO. And stoopid has a spoon filter. Also it irritates me that Stan charges so much for his signature. He has made a dumptruck load of cash off the collecting community over decades, you would think 20 bucks would be a little nicer? I respect everything the man has done with the exception of hosing his fans for a signature.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, everyone should collect what they like. I am not saying anyone is stoopid for getting a signature on a book, I am saying that other then the creative team that worked on it I dont get.

And I will bust Forrests rocks whenever I feel the urge. Because I feel that we are cool enough with eachother to do so.

it's not stan hosing as much as certain people with "exclusives" that have been hosing people for ages. (not talking about you Sean as your fees have been fair)

If you are referring to DesertWind Comics, then you are dead wrong. Having worked many times with Chandler and Sharon at DWC, I know they are not doing this to profiteer or hose anyone. In fact, they even let me stand in line myself at Cal ComicCon and Wonder-Con to get signatures so I would not have to pay an extra fee. Their prices are reasonable and have to cover all their costs (travel, hotel, extensive labor) as well as the writers/artists fees.

If I were a Walt Disney Collector/Fan......

Would I rather have a Disney comic signed by THE MAN himself, or a comic signed by the artist and writer and Walt Disney?

Hey Pat-

Out of curiosity what would your answer to my question be?

Thanks,

Sean

(PS just having a debate here buddy nothing more FYI)

I would rather the artist-writer combo, maybe if it were a "classic" movie adaptation put to print I would opt for a 3rd signature. But really I look at each book as that issues creative teams work.

I do respect Stans creative abilities. But feel there is so much he actually worked on, having a book he didnt pen signed is just odd. And I also believe this is an issue some past creators have had with him as well. People know Stan and forget the other 100 plus guys that were doing the same stuff. If that makes sense to you.

If I were a Walt Disney Collector/Fan......

Would I rather have a Disney comic signed by THE MAN himself, or a comic signed by the artist and writer and Walt Disney?

Hey Pat-

Out of curiosity what would your answer to my question be?

Thanks,

Sean

(PS just having a debate here buddy nothing more FYI)

Speaking from experience on the market for Walt Disney signatures (my father-in-law is a big-time signature collector and has a number of Disney items), you'll find more often than not the solo signature is worth more than a combo signature--that is, unless the combo has other equally high profile individuals included. But if we're talking about 2 no-names and 1 big name vs. 1 solo big name.... well, the solo sells better on the market. I think it has to do with people not wanting to essentially "clutter" the one signature with any other markings. Apparently he tells me that baseballs are fall into the same issue where single signed baseballs will actually fetch more than a baseball with 2-3 signatures on it. Of course, I think comics are a slightly different animal due to the fact only a handful of creators are actually known outside of the hobby, so people buying these signatures most likely would appreciate multiple creators having signed a book.

Just an FYI: the word from Cliff Meth is that Gene will NOT be attending the NYC show. Cliff is managing Gene's affairs these days, and he posted this on his Facebook page this afternoon:

Who makes these things up? GENE COLAN is NOT scheduled to attend this show.

Gene Colan : Wizard World Comic Cons : BIG APPLE COMIC CON OCT. 1-2-3, 2010 FRI-SAT-SUN Penn Plaza.

Just an FYI: the word from Cliff Meth is that Gene will NOT be attending the NYC show. Cliff is managing Gene's affairs these days, and he posted this on his Facebook page this afternoon:

Who makes these things up? GENE COLAN is NOT scheduled to attend this show.

Gene Colan : Wizard World Comic Cons : BIG APPLE COMIC CON OCT. 1-2-3, 2010 FRI-SAT-SUN Penn Plaza.

I brought that listed "appearance" to Cliffs attention this afternoon and he contacted WW and told them to pull it from their site. He seemed pretty anoid by it.

He did say that Gene might be attending the NYCC so stay tuned.

So I'm bidding for a Hotel room on Priceline (4 star) and I'm up to $325 with no acceptance yet.

doh!

Anybody have any suggestions. I'd really prefer to stay in Manhattan.

The subway tunnels aren't too humid this time of the year. With the issues Manhattan has been having with hotels and bugs I would be very, very selective where I stayed this year.

Best bet Roy is to look at the NYC subway and train lines and see where less expensive hotels are in Queens or Brooklyn. At worst it is a 20 minute subway ride in the morning and after the show and you can save a few hundred dollars that way.

I suggested Hoboken (it's right across the river ) and there is the Path train, very fast commute.

They are closing the Hudson St entrance to the Holland Tunnel to do something with a water main , so I'm not sure how that will affect taking the tunnels, it might jam stuff up a lot.

The PATH is 14 minutes to 33 rd st. I used to be very jealous of co-workers who had that commute;) http://www.panynj.gov/path/schedule.html

So I'm bidding for a Hotel room on Priceline (4 star) and I'm up to $325 with no acceptance yet.

doh!

Anybody have any suggestions. I'd really prefer to stay in Manhattan.

booked the sheridan through the reed website...299...