• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 13

42 posts in this topic

I've gathered that Action Comics 13 is hot and very sought after. But after looking through Gerber and OSP I can't tell why it's so regarded and priced as such. Can someone enlighten me? Inquiring mind wants to know.

From my perspective I find Action 13 to have several things going for it(most of which have already been mentioned).

Most important to me is the fact that it is the fourth Superman cover, ever. This fact is never lost on me everytime I see the book., or a 10, or a 7. Everything that is part of what we take for granted as the Superman mythos all started right here in these early issues. What we consider normal today (Superman stopping a train with his bare hands) was probably unheard of back in the day and made people stop and take notice of this guy in a red cape.

This fact is not lost on me as a Superman fan and has a tangible qualtiy that is hard to describe. Early appearances of the biggies in our hobby hold extra value for me that transcend the art on the cover, or the stories inside and in the case of Action 13 I think the appeal of this issue all comes down to seeing Superman about to stop a speeding train, for the first time. It is something almost mundane, but totally fantastic all at the same time.

And the Supes add on the centerfold is only a bonus, I always liked how they mention it is a book "you'll want to keep!"

action13centerfold.jpg

So yeah I guess you could say I like the book.

I'm happy to say that I don't miss my former 4.0 copy anymore :D

Perhaps...but I certainly miss that copy. :cry: The printing error gave the appearance of a clouds in a blue sky hm

423653418_1dcf30cb2d.jpg

That said, if I didn't sell then I wouldn't have my Cap #1. :gossip:

You made the right choice (thumbs u

Perhaps...but I certainly miss that copy. :cry: The printing error gave the appearance of a clouds in a blue sky hm

423653418_1dcf30cb2d.jpg

:applause: Cap 1 :applause:

423653418_1dcf30cb2d.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having this copy of Action 13 or any unrestored copy in my stack, but not for a dime over guide. Just not "one of those" special kind of gotta have books. I'd be just as (if not more) content with an Action 17 or Action 20.

All these covers are classic. My favorite covers though (after 1) are issues 19 (still in the hunt for this issue), 20 and 17. I believe 7, 10 13 and 15 are nice too, would take those any day.

(thumbs u

Is there really a bad cover up until #50 even....I think not!

Action 13 is far overrated and ridiculously overpriced. Nothing really special about the book IMHO.

Yeah but its hard to beat owning a "cool cover" from a major title printed 1939/1940? Probably my favorite Action cover.

I cannot disagree with this point. (shrug)

Action 13 is far overrated and ridiculously overpriced. Nothing really special about the book IMHO.

Yeah but its hard to beat owning a "cool cover" from a major title printed 1939/1940? Probably my favorite Action cover.

I cannot disagree with this point. (shrug)

You could but that would be foolish. :grin::baiting:

Other than #1 and #17, this was my fave. I like the 7 and 10 as well, but definitely less than the other 3. The 15 is alright, too - but without seeing the 'S' on his chest, it's just not the same...

Never could afford a 1, saw a number of 7's over the years, so figured I could always get one of those = :screwy: but, I don't think i've seen more than maybe 3 or 4 - 13's, including this one, over the last 20 years. I bought every copy I could afford = that would be this single copy. Sure wish I could have swung the other couple/few... :blush:

The story's great, the centerfold RULZ and the cover, what needs to be said? Supes stopping a train with 1 hand - doesn't get much cooler to me. I wish all those looking for a copy, Good Luck - unfortunately, you're gonna need it, along with a very deep wallet.

74709.jpg.ba019ba73e521549ba0f6d63369b6a67.jpg

Other than #1 and #17, this was my fave. I like the 7 and 10 as well, but definitely less than the other 3. The 15 is alright, too - but without seeing the 'S' on his chest, it's just not the same...

Never could afford a 1, saw a number of 7's over the years, so figured I could always get one of those = :screwy: but, I don't think i've seen more than maybe 3 or 4 - 13's, including this one, over the last 20 years. I bought every copy I could afford = that would be this single copy. Sure wish I could have swung the other couple/few... :blush:

The story's great, the centerfold RULZ and the cover, what needs to be said? Supes stopping a train with 1 hand - doesn't get much cooler to me. I wish all those looking for a copy, Good Luck - unfortunately, you're gonna need it, along with a very deep wallet.

Hey Ken was that the CGC 1.0 that sold on Ebay last year?

Nope. I've had this book for around 10 years or so.

Nope. I've had this book for around 10 years or so.

Well it is a sweet copy. Killer colors (thumbs u