• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB

1,062 posts in this topic

Well since the snooty spider-collectors have proudly displayed their AF15 grails in an exclusive thread :baiting:, I feel it's about time one was started for THE MOST IMPORTANT SILVER AGE BOOK...PERIOD!

THIS is the book that started the Mighty Marvel Age of Comics!

THIS is the book that introduced the first Marvel Superhero Team since the GA.

THIS is the book that started the GREATEST creative run in the history of comics! No other title comes close to the immortalized Lee/Kirby run! :sumo:

Everyone feel free to post their FF #1's proudly! :thumbsup:

Well I am not officially a member of this club...Yet!!! :gossip: I am paying on my grail, however, and will have it in my possession sometime this year. When I finally receive it, I will post the slabbed pic. Here is a raw pic of the one I am purchasing.

May I present my soon to be acquired grail:

Harry's (Burntboy) OO Sid's Luncheonette Copy :applause:

FF1FC.jpg

(thumbs u

SPIDEY STILL RULES

Hey dude...some of us are Spidey Fans as well but this is the Silver Comics page...we keep it clean over here and it's all about the cool SA brothahood vibe...we don't stray into other threads and pizz on that hydrant...comprende...it's kinda how we do it here...

anyway, WTTB i guess but get a fuggin clue...take the newb humor to the Seller's Market where it belongs... :insane:

SPIDEY STILL RULES

Hey dude...some of us are Spidey Fans as well but this is the Silver Comics page...we keep it clean over here and it's all about the cool SA brothahood vibe...we don't stray into other threads and pizz on that hydrant...comprende...it's kinda how we do it here...

anyway, WTTB i guess but get a fuggin clue...take the newb humor to the Seller's Market where it belongs... :insane:

agreed :sumo:

SPIDEY STILL RULES

Yeah...I LOVE the Silver Age section. Not to pat ourselves on our collective backs, but this place IS generally much more chill than say... General? Sellers? Take your pick? lol

And WTTB AMS... but you DO realize that Amazing Spider-Man abbreviated is ASM?-) :baiting:

Anyhow... bad news fellas. I have to confess I've been bitten by the GA Bats/Tecs bug, so unless a ridiculous deal on a low grade FF1 shows up, looks like I'm going to be spending a little time on some GA books :o Hope I can still come over here and hang though! :wishluck:

SPIDEY STILL RULES

Yeah...I LOVE the Silver Age section. Not to pat ourselves on our collective backs, but this place IS generally much more chill than say... General? Sellers? Take your pick? lol

And WTTB AMS... but you DO realize that Amazing Spider-Man abbreviated is ASM?-) :baiting:

Anyhow... bad news fellas. I have to confess I've been bitten by the GA Bats/Tecs bug, so unless a ridiculous deal on a low grade FF1 shows up, looks like I'm going to be spending a little time on some GA books :o Hope I can still come over here and hang though! :wishluck:

:o

SPIDEY STILL RULES

Im just happy you collect Tec's under the grades I buy.

FF1 BTW is looking to be my first mega-key. I hope to be able to buy one by the end of the year.

SPIDEY STILL RULES

Im just happy you collect Tec's under the grades I buy.

FF1 BTW is looking to be my first mega-key. I hope to be able to buy one by the end of the year.

Why is that Pat? Do I... intimidate you? :devil:

I remember when I joined this club. In 1991, I was a voracious SA Marvel fiend and FF was (still is) my absolute favorite. I had saved up some cash for the PlanetCon in Kansas City and had a goal; Fantastic Four #1. I drove down with $300 and my roommate, a fellow FF collector, in tow.

The 1990 Overstreet estimated the number of existing copies to be 1400. With this in mind, I went up to Motor City's giant wonderland of a display and asked if they had a copy. The guy handed me seven. I was convinced that I was holding one half of one percent of the world's supply.

At the very bottom of that stack was a $250 beater. Shrewd trader that I am, I talked him down! After I handed over my $240, I clutched My Precious to me and kind of staggered around the room until I bumped into my roommate. He was politely impressed, even though he had a better #1.

I was eventually able to ask about stuff he was after, and discovered that he needed an FF12. I had seen a bargain copy earlier, and applied enough force to get him to buy it.

So, on that day in Kansas City, two #1-to-present collections of The World's Greatest Comic Magazine were completed in the span of 30 minutes.

I'm fairly sure nothing in my collecting life will ever be that sweet again. Fantastic Four #1 was The grail, is The grail, and will always be The grail for me.

I remember when I joined this club. In 1991, I was a voracious SA Marvel fiend and FF was (still is) my absolute favorite. I had saved up some cash for the PlanetCon in Kansas City and had a goal; Fantastic Four #1. I drove down with $300 and my roommate, a fellow FF collector, in tow.

The 1990 Overstreet estimated the number of existing copies to be 1400. With this in mind, I went up to Motor City's giant wonderland of a display and asked if they had a copy. The guy handed me seven. I was convinced that I was holding one half of one percent of the world's supply.

At the very bottom of that stack was a $250 beater. Shrewd trader that I am, I talked him down! After I handed over my $240, I clutched My Precious to me and kind of staggered around the room until I bumped into my roommate. He was politely impressed, even though he had a better #1.

I was eventually able to ask about stuff he was after, and discovered that he needed an FF12. I had seen a bargain copy earlier, and applied enough force to get him to buy it.

So, on that day in Kansas City, two #1-to-present collections of The World's Greatest Comic Magazine were completed in the span of 30 minutes.

I'm fairly sure nothing in my collecting life will ever be that sweet again. Fantastic Four #1 was The grail, is The grail, and will always be The grail for me.

Great story. I would appreciate you helping me negotiate when I buy my copy, hopefully at SDCC. I could really use the $10 :cry:

I'm in a Fantastic mood so I scanned my copy.

scan0005-3.jpg

And discounted as well from 10c to 6c!! :headbang:

6cents! Probably the best deal on these boards! ;)

Where did you get the copy? Got a story to go with it?

Nice thing about the book is its easily identifiable from the rest. It was actually my wife's Christmas gift to me our first Christmas together after we got married.

Very nice story! :applause:

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. And Torchie, I'd be happy to help. (just fly me out to San Diego). My negotiational prowess has been known to shave up to 4 and a half percent!

My first was a $75 AF15 in VP (Very Poor) condition back in 1985...

You win.

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. And Torchie, I'd be happy to help. (just fly me out to San Diego). My negotiational prowess has been known to shave up to 4 and a half percent!

My first was a $75 AF15 in VP (Very Poor) condition back in 1985...

You win.

I had all the Marvel keys in high MG to HG by the time I was 14 :cry: