• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locke & Key appreciation thread
2 2

2,982 posts in this topic

Okay,

Read #3. Again, another great issue.

Top that with the great reference to one of my favorite bands (Simon & Garfunkel).

"Hello Darkness, my old friend".

Pat

:headbang:

During the Locke & Key sabbatical last month, did anyone read Joe Hill's Mr. Majestyk Remembered on the back pages of Criminal #4?

DSC095981.jpg

criminal4fr.jpg

It's a great little childhood retrospective one of his favorite guilty pleasure movies from the 70's. This book is very hard to find in high grade because of it's flimsy construction, riddling it with color breaking spinal stress on it's front and back black covers.

criminal4.jpg

During the Locke & Key sabbatical last month, did anyone read Joe Hill's Mr. Majestyk Remembered on the back pages of Criminal #4?

Yes, it was a great article! (thumbs u

After pointing out similarities with Joe Hill's first comic Spider-Man Unlimited #8 and future issues of Locke & Key, I figured it would be fun to point out similar stuff in his second written comic Grave Tales #6 that he would use down the road in his writing career.

gravetales1.jpg

First up, he has a character with horns growing out of their head in a scene.

gravetales4.jpg

Something, he will use later on down the road in his novel Horns.

gravetales2.jpg

Next up, he uses punky looking young adults as main characters.

gravetales11.jpg

As he does in his Locke & Key books, right down to the hairstyles.

gravetales10.jpg

Even their dialouge is similar, like the word "lookat".

gravetales5.jpg

"Lookat" used in Locke & Key #1.

gravetales7.jpg

But the most important thing to learn in a Joe Hill story like this one and the Locke & Key books is... stay away from buses. Joe Hill must hate buses. If he doesn't have one of his characters hit by one like in Grave Tales #6:

gravetales3.jpg

He will have one of his characters shoot you on one and set it on fire after, like Locke & Key #4 and #5.

gravetales8.jpg

gravetales9.jpg

Joe Hill characters have a 100% mortality rate once a bus drives near. But the Locke & Key characters should just avoid all kinds of transportation all together.

gravetales12.jpg

But, they are always jumping front of moving vehicles, like suicidal chipmunks.

gravetales15.jpg

"Hey, Uncle Dunc... Stop checking out the two young guys in the mirror while you are driving".

gravetales16.jpg

BOOM!

gravetales13.jpg

I don't know what is more terrifying. An evil demon stalking young children at a haunted house or every person holding a drivers license in Lovecraft. Their insurance premiums must be already through the roof in that section of the woods by now.

I got an idea. If they really want to defeat and kill Zack/Dodge, why doesn't someone give him a ride somewhere. I'm sure that would do the trick, lol . I don't think one Locke & Key character can properly operate a motor vehicle. But he's too smart, he's always using his Anywhere Key to get around.

After pointing out similarities with Joe Hill's first comic Spider-Man Unlimited #8 and future issues of Locke & Key, I figured it would be fun to point out similar stuff in his second written comic Grave Tales #6 that he would use down the road in his writing career.

Excellent job Jerel, really cool stuff :applause:(worship)

I had the great surprise today of receiving a wonderful package from a great forumite. To my surprise, when I opened what was an already amazing gift, I found an additional gift inside.

I guess when I am done reading this I'll set it next to another great read I have stored safely away.

various001.jpg

various002.jpg

various003.jpg