• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

Pulled out some old magazines for eBay and upon looking through an April 1972 copy of Racin' toons found a cartoon by Hunnicutt with Wonder Wart-Hog. He is documented as drawing Wonder Wart-Hog stuff (Gilbert Shelton's character) but could not find a reference to this particular instance. Knowing there are Wart-Hog fanatics out there, thought I would share. I'd attach an image, but apparently we can't do that here without linking to a web site. Hopefully the new software will allow that? Or am I missing something?

For those that aren't aware R. Crumb's Art & Beauty #3 will be released on 31 Aug. 2016 for $7.99. There's also a collected hard bound edition with all 3 issues that will be out 26 July 2016 for $35 and a Deluxe limited to 400 edition for $150 (that I've read may be already out as I read someone posting as having purchased theirs already at a R. Crumb gallery showing I think in the U.K.).

https://davidzwirnerbooks.com/product/art-beauty-magazine-drawings-r-crumb

For those that aren't aware R. Crumb's Art & Beauty #3 will be released on 31 Aug. 2016 for $7.99. There's also a collected hard bound edition with all 3 issues that will be out 26 July 2016 for $35 and a Deluxe limited to 400 edition for $150 (that I've read may be already out as I read someone posting as having purchased theirs already at a R. Crumb gallery showing I think in the U.K.).

https://davidzwirnerbooks.com/product/art-beauty-magazine-drawings-r-crumb

You can already buy the regular edition from the publisher. I have a copy sitting in front of me and it's a terrific book!

I have having to locate or buy underground items that I do not know the relative rarity of. Kennedy was in contact with Artie Romero prior to publishing, but for whatever reason some Artie Romero/Everymen Studio material was either not listed or the print size wasn’t disclosed.

I was in contact the main man, Mr. Romero himself and he was able to fill in some holes for me:

Equalizer 1A 500

Equalizer 1B 500

Everyman Catalog '79 350

Everyman Flyer 1 3000

Everyman Flyer 2 3000

Everyman Flyer 3 3000

Everyman Flyer 4 4000

Everyman Flyer 5 4000

Everyman Flyer 6 4000

The flyers were originally published in 1972 for the NYC Creative Convention. Many copies of the flyer series were destroyed when the remainders were recycled in 1982.

Horrible Misunderstandings 1 (pink variant) was not produced by Everyman Studios. Artie Romero suspects that these were issued by the co-editor Roger May.

Platinum Toad 1 150

Realm 1 150

Realm 2 200

Realm 3 300

Realm 4 500

Realm 5A 1200

Issues with the print run size still remaining unknown/forgotten:

All Color Litho Toons (Society Cartoon Cubist Dada)

Beware the Mysterious Fotato #1

Horrible Misunderstandings 2A

Horrible Misunderstandings 2B

Platinum Toad 2

Platinum Toad 3

Platinum Toad 4

If you should have anything to add, please fill us in. It would be appreciated.

PS thanks Artie

I hope someone here got this smoking deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flaming-Baloney-Rare-Underground-Comix-1976-Harvey-Pekar-/222133728095?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=A5gCnfgUAk4ziDV4XFumIF4QgXs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Flaming Baloney for $13.49. I don't recall if this is the first Harvey Pekar work or if People's Comics is, but this is a pretty hard to find item.

Flaming Baloney for $13.49. I don't recall if this is the first Harvey Pekar work or if People's Comics is, but this is a pretty hard to find item.

Good question, J, and one that does not have an easy answer and is open to a little bit of interpretation. I took a few moments to synthesize the pre-American Splendor #1 (5?/76) Pekar appearances.

They are:

1. 9/72- The People’s Comics #nn (Brilliant American Maniacs- Crazy Ed w/ R Crumb)

2. Presumed early 1970s (after Comixjoint)- Flaming Baloney #X (A Mexican Tale w/ Budgett, later appears in AS1)

3. 10/75- Bizarre Sex #4 (How’d Ya Get Into This Bizness… w/ Budgett & Dumm)

4. 10?/75- Flamed-Out Funnies #1 (possible uncredited work w/ Murphy^^)

5, 2/76- Comix Book #4 (Famous Street Fights w/ Armstrong)

6. 2/76- Snarf #6 (Don’t Rain On My Parade w/ Armstrong)

Because, the People’s Comics 1-pager appears 2+ years before Pekar found a regular publishing rhythm, this book is the leader for "1st Pekar in comics."

This morning, I flipped slowly through my copy of Flaming Baloney and there is no indication in the indicia, and as far as I could tell in my review, none of the art is dated either.

I did a little bit of internet research, but not deeply.

*No date given (Kennedy 1982)

*Early 1970s (comixjoint)

*1975? (comics.org)

*1975 (witzend vol. 1)

*1975 (Kurp, 2012)

*1976 pre-AS1 (Fogel’s 2015)

Here is a snippet from the collected witzend book that was released not too long ago:

FlamingBaloney_zpsqfrunrtj.jpg

From the Guardian's obituary (Holland, 2010):

In the early 1970s [Pekar] began writing stories, using stick figures and laying out the scripts as storyboards. He showed these to Crumb, who offered to illustrate some of the stories. Their collaboration appeared in Crumb's The People's Comics in 1972 and Pekar's autobiographical tales were featured in other underground titles, including Bizarre Sex, Flaming Baloney, Snarf and Flamed-out Funnies.

Wherever it appears… it is a great book that certainly includes a pre-AS1 story that was later compiled in AS1.

Lads-

Does any other good information exist on Flaming Baloney #X?

How did the FUGG15 arrive at 1976 given evidence to suggest otherwise?

What do you think?

^^ I read this in the obit, but could not completely confirm it. Not listed in Kennedy (1982), I do recall seeing a Murphy/Pekar story in the Apex Novelites treasury.

How did the FUGG15 arrive at 1976 given evidence to suggest otherwise?

Well, I may have answered my own question. After posting this I sent a message to artist Gary Dumm and here is his response:

"You know, I'm not absolutely certain exactly when it came out, BUT I believe that it was earlier in 1976 - and I know that it did precede the first issue of American Splendor by several months. I got Harvey Pekar to agree to my putting it in FB with no problem.

Thanks for your interest.

Best, Gary"

I found a fascinating piece of UG memorabilia today while rooting around a few used books stores. I have an uncut partial sheet of the Greg Irons button for Berkeley Con 1973 as seen here:

BerkCon73_zpsvxw7yhel.jpg

So I've been familiar with it for over 25 years or so. However, until today I had never seen, nor come across, the button for the 2nd Berkeley Con held in 1974.

I had seen the t-shirt with the design in full color for sale on Ebay a few times, but this button, featuring a jam between Dave Sheridan, Rick Griffin and Robert Williams, was totally unknown to me until I found it in a box that also contained a Fillmore East badge that was worn by staff who worked there, a Jefferson Airplane button that was a promo from their Grunt Records era and a button featuring Elvin Bishop advertising a concert at Winterland in the 70's. I bought them all, but this is the gem of the bunch, in my eyes:

BerkCon74_zpsvmtb8upw.jpg

Is that button common and I've somehow been ignorant of it all these years or is it the scarce item I believe it to be having never even been aware of it until today?