• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

Anybody ever come across this sort of mutant Plymell Zap #1? This was printed without the yellow! As you can see by the vividness of the blue ink, this is an intended or experimental variant. Perhaps the only one in existence and is in vg/f condition. Any idea of a value to put on it?

zap1misprint_zpsmnznb87j.jpeg

Cool book, but why assume it was anything other than a printing error, which is fairly common with underground comics.

It was pretty much printed one sheet at a time with room for experimentation or just a cool thing to play around with when stoned. I doubt it was unintentional.

Cool book!

Value wise, you'd think there would have to be a pretty premium for an anomolous copy like this, but since it's already a pricey book I doubt you'd find anyone paying multiples of guide for it. On a good day, to the right person at the right time, yadda, yadda, yadda, I think you could expect a 75%-100% premium. But what do I know?

Here's a pic of the copy oldmilwaukee mentioned that neatstuff sold on ebay a while back. To my recollection it didn't sell for much more than what the value of an ordinary copy was at the time (I think someone pulled the trigger at around 4K, but I'm not sure anymore).

plymellzap-variant.jpg

As 50cent mentioned, the color of the blues on Plymells can also have an impact on price. The lighter blue books are believed to be from early in the print run and are sometimes more desirable.

Lee Marrs has self-published a collected edition of Pudge The Blimp Girl and is available at Amazon.com. I think it's a collected edition, maybe with some new content? Lee was the first woman to be simultaneously working for Marvel and DC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1534775994/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here's a pic of the copy oldmilwaukee mentioned that neatstuff sold on ebay a while back. To my recollection it didn't sell for much more than what the value of an ordinary copy was at the time (I think someone pulled the trigger at around 4K, but I'm not sure anymore).

plymellzap-variant.jpg

Nice pull erehwon! Wow... that image spurred another memory.

These books were at San Diego Comic Con in 2007! :idea:

Carbo had the Mowry copies of Zap Comix #1 Plymell at three tiers

I bought the best $750 copy (graded CGC 2.0 blue label w/ CROW pages; sold for 1600 in 2009)

Carbo and Fogel also had CGC file copies of C*nt Comics in both white paper and newsprint. I bought a CGC 9.2 newsprint for 250

And 2-3 VF or better high grade "Heads First miscut" Zap Comix #2 (~$400), of which I heard 50c may have purchased one?

That was a good year for undergrounds.

Yeah, I bought one of the Head First miscut Zap Comix #2 (1st print) Donahue file copies from Dan that included a signed certificate of authenticity (not sure if the other copies had the cert.) by Donahue and Fogel. That was a good year for Undergrounds, probably the peak of the little resurgence. Think I picked up all the remaining copies of the Freak Brothers #1 (pink paper edition) remaining stock that Dan had that wasn't numbered or came with the certificate that SDCC. Here's one on eBay. I used to pick up all the FB#1(pink paper editions) that would show up on eBay because there was on 1,000 copies, very low for a comic book. But stopped, this one's been on there for a long time and nobody's bought it. If you don't have a copy, you might want to pick it up, even though this one doesn't appear numbered or have the cert.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collected-Adventures-of-the-Fabulous-Furry-Freak-Brothers-Pink-Edition-rare-/161796409221?hash=item25abd14785:g:WrwAAOSwHnFV0P9G

Seems it might be a good time to get into Undergrounds if you've got money. There seems to be an abnormally large amount of sellers lately on eBay with rare, hard to find comix listed. Anyone else notice this?

Old hippies cashing out for their retirement?

Seems it might be a good time to get into Undergrounds if you've got money. There seems to be an abnormally large amount of sellers lately on eBay with rare, hard to find comix listed. Anyone else notice this?

Old hippies cashing out for their retirement?

Better printing techniques?

I know that's it not an underground comix, but would anyone have more info about 3R Cosmix: Armageddonquest by Ronald Russell Roach? In 1972, he contributed a story to the UG comix Spaced Out.

I tried his website and e-mailed him, but did not get any response. The last posting was from 2012.

In true UG form, he self published in batches of 20-50, his adult themed, Armageddonquest serial novel in a series of 8 hand made, B&W digests under his 3R Cosmix publishing banner. Has anyone ever seen one of those?

The series was then picked-up and reprinted by Starhead Comix/3R Cosmic (starting in 1984) and in a similar size and format but with Starhead appearing on the lower cover as an overprint. Does anyone know the print size/rarity of those Starwind reprints?

And in the 90s the series was reprinted or continued first by Starhead Comix and then by Sirius in color. Oddly, that is the only time the series it is mentioned in Fogel.

Is it in Overstreet, which I do not have? Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by dannyboycheapyboy

I tend to see (or only notice) the a lot hard-to-finds being offered at (IMO) too high of a high price and never really selling. I won't pick on anyone, but how about a Fair copy of Ric Sloane for $945!

Maybe two or three times a year there is a nice vein of interesting items that come up within a series of low reserve auctions. But as those sellers run out of items (on eBay: reddog and bigboppershopper), it is a long while before another seller takes their place. I would have thought there would be more of those "hippies (or the wives/children of) cashing out" their collections.

However, I do find that there is a lot more smaller groupings of 5-25 items coming up on eBay this year.

What I have really noticed this year, is the inconsistent pricing/auction price realized, especially with the not-freakish-rare keys - Ozone, Zap1. Those items are all over the place at auction, but generally seem to be coming in at well below book.

I have only been collecting for 2-3 years, so maybe these trends have always been around.

Saw a trailer today for the new Obama movie. There's a scene of them in a gallery. The art of people dancing, on the wall looks like Guy Colwell. Anyone else see it and recognize the art also?

looked it up online as I watched the trailer and it looked familiar, painting is entitled "Sugar Shack" by Ernie Barnes. I recognized it from watching "Good Times" back in the day. It does look something like Colwell's work, however.

Edited by Brother J

Saw a trailer today for the new Obama movie. There's a scene of them in a gallery. The art of people dancing, on the wall looks like Guy Colwell. Anyone else see it and recognize the art also?

looked it up online as I watched the trailer and it looked familiar, painting is entitled "Sugar Shack" by Ernie Barnes. I recognized it from watching "Good Times" back in the day. It does look something like Colwell's work, however.

(thumbs u

Hi everyone,

I picked up a small batch of Print Mint comics yesterday and am loving them. I have spent part of the morning trying to find a good online resource listing everything published during the Underground Comix era. I'd like to learn more, but don't know where to start. I also understand that there was quite a bit of stuff published in the UK and a small batch of comix were published here in Canada. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi everyone,

I picked up a small batch of Print Mint comics yesterday and am loving them. I have spent part of the morning trying to find a good online resource listing everything published during the Underground Comix era. I'd like to learn more, but don't know where to start. I also understand that there was quite a bit of stuff published in the UK and a small batch of comix were published here in Canada. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Start with San Francisco and head East my friend!