• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

Freak Brothers as played by Bevis & Butthead & Butthead.

I just saw the 2021 Freak Bro cartoons. 
Shelton will be rolling in his grave.  
They are nothing like Shelton's art. Nothing like his humor. More like Bevis & Butthead. A spoof of the freak bro.
An insult to Shelton fans.       

FF's Cat had a SEX CHANGE! So wrong, just wrong. 
Like they couldn't find a male actor that can do street-smart sarcasm?    

The voices are all wrong, cartoony. While the other actors use normal voices. 
Harrelson, Goodman, and Whosit should have used their real voices. 

The 'jokes' are just juvenile poo-poo humor. mess jokes should be left to the cat, and sparingly.    

Yes Fat Freddy is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. But he's an average insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Not this over-the-top retarded.   

If you liked the comix, avoid the cartoons, they will sicken you. An insult to the fans.

On 5/12/2022 at 12:48 PM, comixjunky2022 said:

Freak Brothers as played by Bevis & Butthead & Butthead.

I just saw the 2021 Freak Bro cartoons. 
Shelton will be rolling in his grave.  
They are nothing like Shelton's art. Nothing like his humor. More like Bevis & Butthead. A spoof of the freak bro.
An insult to Shelton fans.       

FF's Cat had a SEX CHANGE! So wrong, just wrong. 
Like they couldn't find a male actor that can do street-smart sarcasm?    

The voices are all wrong, cartoony. While the other actors use normal voices. 
Harrelson, Goodman, and Whosit should have used their real voices. 

The 'jokes' are just juvenile poo-poo humor. mess jokes should be left to the cat, and sparingly.    

Yes Fat Freddy is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. But he's an average insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Not this over-the-top retarded.   

If you liked the comix, avoid the cartoons, they will sicken you. An insult to the fans.

Yeah, to me, the biggest affront was making Fat Freddy's Cat female.  Totally dumb, and goes against the whole "Brothers" theme.  I guess maybe they decided they couldn't flaunt balls on TV, as Fat Freddy's Cat was usually drawn with prominent gonads.

I'm ok with the main characters' voices being "cartoony"; after all, it IS a cartoon.  I thought a lot of the humor was in line with the original comics, too, but you're right about the scatalogical humor being a little over the top--like the one where Freddy was growing some bud in his butt and couldn't poop, and then sprayed the room and everything in it with his excrement when he could finally cut loose.  And then everyone just goes on about their day, as if a sewage truck didn't just explode in their living room.

I don't really see it as an insult to fans, though; just an attempted homage that could have been done better.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:45 PM, OtherEric said:

I haven’t seen the show.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:00 PM, Axe Elf said:

I don't really see it as an insult to fans, though; just an attempted homage that could have been done better.

Well I was insulted. 
Maybe you just like Bevis & butthead. (I hate em)
And maybe I associate with the brothers too much. 
I'm not just a comix fan. I'm an old freak from that generation. 
I laugh WITH Shelton and the brothers. 
You could sometimes route for the brothers, but not these new guys.
These cartoons are a lowbrow laugh AT them. Like the bros themselves are THE main joke. 
Not a homage, but ridicule. And I'm insulted.     

Who owns the rights anyway? 
Isn't the movie still in the works? 
Or is 'movie rights' and 'TV rights' two different rights?  
And how will this affect the movie? 
Will it scare investors away? 

On 5/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, OtherEric said:

I haven’t seen the show.  But you lost me at the rolling in his grave comment because Shelton is still with us.

I said 'will be', future tense. :-)

Yes I can't spell. Don't bother correcting me, I'm too old to learn now. 

On 5/30/2021 at 8:16 PM, Morganmi said:

Happy to pick up a couple copies of Slow Death from the boards a while back. Have never read these. Looks like some good stuff!:applause:

Slow death #2 3rd print + front.jpg

Slow death #2 3rd print back.jpg

Slow Death #3 3rd print + front.jpg

Slow Death #3 3rd Print + Back.jpg

Thats the one! The one with the guy in the car, I REALLY want this book

Been so long since I posted in this thread I started so I figured I'd post something.

Sadly Justin Green passed away on the 23rd of April.

Seems there's still a lot of interest in the Ebon comic book.  Seems the prices are still high for this one.

I didn't think the Freak Brothers animated series was that bad, either did others because it's been renewed for a 2nd season.

Hello all...

On 5/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, OtherEric said:

I haven’t seen the show.  But you lost me at the rolling in his grave comment because Shelton is still with us.

Maybe he thinks Shelton would die if he saw the show, then proceed to roll in his grave.

I doubt that, however, as the show is very funny. I'm greatly looking forward to the next season.

On 6/11/2022 at 5:03 PM, Morganmi said:

Came across these while cleaning my friends dad's basement. He said take em so pretty stoked as I've never read Zap 5 and The Last Supplement which looks wicked neat after just browsing through. 

20220611_194348.jpg

The Zap 5 has a story called The Adventures of Fuzzy The Bunny. It’s an adaptation of something Charles Crumb worked on when they were kids. The CGC label for the book even includes Charles as a contributor. Nice pickups.

On 6/11/2022 at 9:41 PM, felixthecat said:

The Zap 5 has a story called The Adventures of Fuzzy The Bunny. It’s an adaptation of something Charles Crumb worked on when they were kids. The CGC label for the book even includes Charles as a contributor. Nice pickups.

Awesome info as usual from these boards. Hopefully have time to dig into it tomorrow. The Last Supplement looks like it has weeks of interesting short reads in it. Probably have to store the weaker of the 2 copies next to the toilet where it'll get the attention it deserves. lol

On 6/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, Morganmi said:

Came across these while cleaning my friends dad's basement. He said take em so pretty stoked as I've never read Zap 5 and The Last Supplement which looks wicked neat after just browsing through. 

20220611_194348.jpg

So, there's only the one printing of The Last Supplement (which is also issue #98 of The Realist, a mostly-not-comic underground tabloid magazine). But there are two versions of that one printing, one for normal sales, and one for subscribers. Check the box at the top-left on the back cover (not my copies, and ignore the difference in apparently background color between the two pics):

Normal sales:

image.png.9b842cf85325155f52127fa31a534377.png

Subscription copies are, anecdotally, much rarer:

image.png.c321717dae8c1c48ba49234d25a50c42.png

Edited by Qalyar

On 6/16/2022 at 4:31 PM, Qalyar said:

So, there's only the one printing of The Last Supplement (which is also issue #98 of The Realist, a mostly-not-comic underground tabloid magazine). But there are two versions of that one printing, one for normal sales, and one for subscribers. Check the box at the top-left on the back cover (not my copies, and ignore the difference in apparently background color between the two pics):

Normal sales:

image.png.9b842cf85325155f52127fa31a534377.png

Subscription copies:

image.png.c321717dae8c1c48ba49234d25a50c42.png

Looks like maybe he scored both.