• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

Looking at the scan of the cover of Snatch #1 that was in the auction, and supposed to be a first print, it looked to me like a later one as it was missing the cover tell, or point, above Hippy Chick's head.....as seen here.....

Snatch Comics #1 by Crumb, Robert and S Clay Wilson: (1972) 1st Edition  Comic | Tree Frog Fine Books and Graphic Arts

Meanwhile here's the one that sold last week....

Silver Age (1956-1969):Alternative/Underground, Snatch Comics #1 First Printing (Apex Novelties, 1968) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white to white pages....

On 7/5/2022 at 3:54 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Looking at the scan of the cover of Snatch #1 that was in the auction, and supposed to be a first print, it looked to me like a later one as it was missing the cover tell, or point, above Hippy Chick's head.....as seen here.....

Snatch Comics #1 by Crumb, Robert and S Clay Wilson: (1972) 1st Edition  Comic | Tree Frog Fine Books and Graphic Arts

Meanwhile here's the one that sold last week....

Silver Age (1956-1969):Alternative/Underground, Snatch Comics #1 First Printing (Apex Novelties, 1968) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white to white pages....

Is the tell/point that defines a first print on this the discoloration in the red and white splotch in the black above her head?

On 7/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, Morganmi said:

Is the tell/point that defines a first print on this the discoloration in the red and white splotch in the black above her head?

I thought the printing “tell” had to do with lettering in the title of an interior story?

On 7/5/2022 at 6:26 PM, Morganmi said:

That's what it says here, https://comixjoint.com/snatchcomics1-2nd.html but was wondering if there might be a cover tell also that's not mentioned. 

I see what @wpbooks01 was referring to now.  I wasn’t aware or hadn’t noticed this before.

Snatch Comics #1 (First Printing) (Apex Novelties, 1968) CGC VF-  Lot #10308  Heritage Auctions.png

On 7/6/2022 at 2:02 PM, wpbooks01 said:

2 Snatch 1 first prints from PBA Galleries auction, sale 698 6/4/2020

310809_0.jpg

312396_0.jpg

Blip city!

Thay also both have the discolord red spot. Definatly a printing defect that's consistent in at least a few 1st prints. 

I guess the question now is if the defect was discovered part way through the first print and corrected or not leading to having both versions in the same printing.

Guess we would actually need to see the inner pages of one without the cover defect to have proof that they actually exist.  (shrug)

If the book is slabbed, I'm a slave to the blip. I'm open to the interior page issue if the comic is not slabbed. All I have seen though, in the last few years, since the slab is now GOD, the blip is consistent. Can't speak to your discoloration theory as I've not heard it before, and it does seem like something that would change over a print run. The blip.....not so much.

If I were the buyer of that copy from last week's Heritage sale, I'd flip it ASAP, unless HA allows one to deslab a book for examination of the page layout and will refund the price if proven otherwise.

Edited by wpbooks01

On 7/6/2022 at 8:32 PM, wpbooks01 said:

If the book is slabbed, I'm a slave to the blip. I'm open to the interior page issue if the comic is not slabbed. All I have seen though, in the last few years, since the slab is now GOD, the blip is consistent. Can't speak to your discoloration theory as I've not heard it before, and it does seem like something that would change over a print run. The blip.....not so much.

If I were the buyer of that copy from last week's Heritage sale, I'd flip it ASAP, unless HA allows one to deslab a book for examination of the page layout and will refund the price if proven otherwise.

Yup I'm with you on that. I'd have to see a copy with the 1st print interior and no Blip that you've provided ample proof is also a 1st print tell for that print error theory I came up with to be even considered. 

I think HA would have to refund it if it was found to be mislabeled but who knows. 

I didn't know this existed until just the other day, when I was doing some research on some otheR Crumby stuff and it popped up:

Genesis.thumb.jpg.a2a2dc1a5bf78e68869a346695063281.jpg

I love that the Bible now has a "Tipper sticker"--"Adult Supervision Recommended for Minors"!

It's really pretty cool, though.  It's actually more faithful to the actual Bible than a lot of "Christian" comics I've seen, where they take a lot of "interpretive license" with the stories and dialogue.  R. Crumb just draws what the text describes, no more and no less, for all 50 chapters of the first book of the Bible.

Best part?  Got this sweet little hardcover from Amazon for FREE because of reward points from the wife's shopping--and delivered on a Sunday!  Heh...

Genesis is my least perused Crumb book in a massive library of his work. I looked at it the day I bought it and it has remained on the shelf ever since.

When it comes to RC and the Bible, this is at the top o'my pile!!!! I have 5 in different states and versions! Now let us pray.........

Bible of Filth SIGNED + PRINT

I have two of these but am too lazy to scan my copies, but I think you get the drift.....

766342109_crumbsignature10.thumb.jpg.fbdcad7b10b6890508e8abdc5c5d5a59.jpg

and of course the one that started it all....

1300585845_crumbbiblefuturopolis.jpg.b10ba43304bb7d0dd2d23f6e0bdb44e8.jpg

Edited by wpbooks01

On 7/17/2022 at 7:14 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Genesis is my least perused Crumb book in a massive library of his work. I looked at it the day I bought it and it has remained on the shelf ever since.

Nice.  My library of his work consists of this book, so I hope to get a little more use out of it.  Plus it's pretty fascinating to me to see the Bible come to life through his eyes.

A question for the underground experts out there:  What do you consider the essential items for a underground collection?  I'm trying to figure out what I should still be looking for, my tastes are somewhat random and a lot of what I get is targets of opportunity.

Let's set some rules so I don't get crazy long lists of stuff to look for:

1) Pick 10 items.  By this I mean mostly single issues, but you can count a two issue run (like Air Pirates) as one item, and you can have one or two longer runs as well.

2) We will consider Zap as item #0 on everybody's list, since I can't imagine any list of essential undergrounds not including it.  Although if anybody is brave enough to say Zap shouldn't be on the list I would love to hear that argument.

3) I'm looking here mostly for actual underground comix, not related items that are of interest to underground collectors.  But feel free to throw in one or two borderline items if you feel they're appropriate. 

Thanks in advance, I look forward to seeing what suggestions people have!

Edited by OtherEric

Binky Brown

Skull Comics

Slow Death

Bijou #8

Deviant Slice

Subvert

Power Pak (I like Aline much better than Trina and the gang at Wimmens)

Freak Bros. 1

Grimwit

Man From Utopia

Since you mentioned Zap and Air Pirates you already have a bit of the big picture. My list is subject to change, and if I don't have a particular issue cited, I mean the whole run. Sorry I'm bad at following instructions. And I have had a copy of the Captain Crud pb since I was a kid and my Mom bought me a copy without looking at it too closely. Thanks Mom, and Hi!

Hope this gives you some ideas Other Eric. I admit I'm partial to horror and violence in my comix, and lots of hardcore sex when drawn the way that appeals to me. I have standards after all. Good luck!