• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this type of inquiry but I figured I would give it a shot. I'm looking to sell a bunch of underground comix I purchased 30 years ago. I purchased the comics b/c I was going to open an alternative/underground comic book shop but alas it didn't work out. I bought many of the comics directly from Don Donahue (Apex Novelties) in the Bay Area and they are in close to mint condition. At this point I only want to keep one of each of my favorite titles and would like to sell the rest, but am not sure the best way to do so. I'm not interested in selling them one by one on eBay (seems like a lot of hassle) but I do want to get as much value as possible for them. I would really appreciate any ideas. I don't think I have a lot of really valuable stuff, they are more like 2nds and 3rds (for instance, I have multiple copies of Snatch 2 third printing, Snatch 3 second printing, Zap 1 3rd printing, etc.). Thanks very much. Matt

On 2/22/2022 at 4:11 PM, demello23 said:

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this type of inquiry but I figured I would give it a shot. I'm looking to sell a bunch of underground comix I purchased 30 years ago. I purchased the comics b/c I was going to open an alternative/underground comic book shop but alas it didn't work out. I bought many of the comics directly from Don Donahue (Apex Novelties) in the Bay Area and they are in close to mint condition. At this point I only want to keep one of each of my favorite titles and would like to sell the rest, but am not sure the best way to do so. I'm not interested in selling them one by one on eBay (seems like a lot of hassle) but I do want to get as much value as possible for them. I would really appreciate any ideas. I don't think I have a lot of really valuable stuff, they are more like 2nds and 3rds (for instance, I have multiple copies of Snatch 2 third printing, Snatch 3 second printing, Zap 1 3rd printing, etc.). Thanks very much. Matt

Don had one of the best collections! I first met him about 30 years ago or so. I'd say sometime around 93/94? He was a true friend and I miss him. That being said, it sounds like you want to sell the whole lot. He had thousands of comics. How many do you have? There is a sales thread here on the boards.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/63-comics-market-forum-only-selling-area/

thanks for the response! I have maybe 200 of what I would consider underground and then a lot more of the alternative (fantagraphics mostly) and quasi-mainstream stuff (Sandman, Shade the Changing Man, Frank Miller, etc.). I am not necessarily looking to sell them in bulk, just want to have the majority disposed of within a year or so when I'm going to be moving (although for the more mainstream runs bulk makes more sense I would imagine). I'm in So Cal. I am close to finishing an inventory of the underground stuff. So it sounds like I should post it to the sales thread? I have to imagine the percentage of folks on that thread are not particularly interested in undergounds. :) 

Hi again. I've completed the inventory of the undergrounds I'm looking to sell. For now I focused on the "true" underground stuff and didn't include alternative comics, or the more "recent" comics by underground artists like Weirdo, Arcade, Kingdom of Evil etc. I also didn't include full runs of comics like Rip Off or Snarf, just the older issues. Now the delicate question. What's the best resource to use to price the comics? Is it worth buying Fogel's book and updates (I read about it on line)? Or is the best way to search Ebay and other on line sources to see what stuff sold for? Again, I appreciate any help I can get. If anyone wants a copy of the inventory without the pricing, please let me know! Matt ps I thought I might as well attach a couple of photos. image0.thumb.jpeg.fcd3992175f1ad116bedb4a3da3a86a8.jpegimage1.thumb.jpeg.35d76ea1d328a14900e305b387f17a69.jpegimage2.thumb.jpeg.2f631d01c713f272a81f1ade61292523.jpegimage3.thumb.jpeg.103175a5a41de8b0986b80c3357c2276.jpeg

Those are some beautiful books there. Absolutely search sold examples on eBay before you put a price on yours, and pay special attention to condition and printing number, the latter being the best reason to have the price guides. The guides are an excellent source of reference material, but the prices shown should only be used to compare relative differences in values between books and for identifying editions (printings). It all comes down to what someone is willing to pay which can be inferred by scouring sale prices of sold items. Good luck!

kennedy guide 1.JPG

On 3/5/2022 at 8:49 PM, jdandns said:

Beautiful collection!

Here's a Gilbert Shelton signed bookplate print from Knockabout made as a bonus item for some purchasers of the Omnibus edition.

As for the Clerks/ViewAskew comics, those are considered regular mainstream independent comics..

freakprint.jpg

Thanks for the info and the compliment, and for sharing the signed bookplate--that's pretty sweet.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:49 PM, jdandns said:

Beautiful collection!

Here's a Gilbert Shelton signed bookplate print from Knockabout made as a bonus item for some purchasers of the Omnibus edition.

As for the Clerks/ViewAskew comics, those are considered regular mainstream independent comics..

freakprint.jpg

That is sweet‼️‼️👍‼️