• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying OA live

26 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if the Comic cons would be the best place to find OA and at a

decent price? or better off buying from online OA dealers?

Well, you'll probably have more selection from an OA dealer online, as it is much easier to showcase art on a website, than carry it all around to various cons. However, on the last day of a con (especially within the last few hours) you'd probably get a better deal on price, than you will from most online dealers, espeically if the one selling it is the artist themselves (mostly because they will want to get as much as they can, before the con's end, to cover show expenses). So, it just comes down to what is most important to you: price or selection.

Hope that was of some help to you. :)

You have to go to a con to check out art. You may not get the best deals but there was a ton of art, that I had never seen before at SDCC last year and while it wasn't stuff I collected, I was impressed.

Many dealers don't bother listing everything they have on their sites. Also they often get a lot of new stuff to sell just before Con season and they tend to bring that along to move at shows. There are a variety of ways to work deals with dealers at shows, to bargain and generally avoid getting taken, but it depends on the people involved and the circumstance.

Online has it's advantages too. Convenience being a major one. Anyone who remembers the old days of making long distance phone calls to dealers in their time zones during their business hours, to ask about the availability of a piece in the newsprint Comic Buyers Guide knows this.

It also makes things much more available to a wider audience. Truly it's changed the way the comic art market works and really caused it to take off.

What's the better deal? Trick question.

Only one dealer has any given piece at a time.

Dealer A may have a Watchmen page featuring Dr. M blasting baddies at the local con. Dealer B may have a piece of Ozy waxing his chest. Dealer B's page may well cost less, but then value is all relative isn't it? What page do YOU want?

-e.

The Con is a good way to get ot only deals on current art but also work out deals on art to come.

I was at a Paradise Con and I met Kalman Andrasofsky the artist on the ION covers at the time.

I bought one Cover from him.

A Few Days later I contact him about a few other and purchased them.

He then offered me the chance to purchase the other covers aftr he drew them, and as a result I have 11 straight covers.

thanks for all the feedback, I agree Cons are great for purchasing new art from artists

who attend and also getting their info to follow up is a great idea.

still, biggest concern is knowing the right price to pay for OA

:gossip: You might want to head over to the "Probation Thread" I think they have a couple of questions for you over there. (thumbs u

C

thanks for all the feedback, I agree Cons are great for purchasing new art from artists

:gossip: You might want to head over to the "Probation Thread" I think they have a couple of questions for you over there. (thumbs u

C

I sent him a PM about it yesterday...the guy is in his own little world :screwy:

probably another shill.....

C

Oh SNAP.

maybe he is done bilking comic collectors and has moved on to OA.

It's a natural progression, you know

Apparently it doesn't matter what price you say you'll pay if you never pay it. But I'm sure you could go by a dealer at a con, ask him to hold the piece and never come back again.

C

He's clearly checked out the Probation Thread, since he sent me a PM based on a comment I made in that thread, which was made after he was put on the probation list.

I'm starting to feel stupid. Is the original poster known to some of you? I actually don't know what the snarky comments refer to. What am I missing?

Scott Williams

The original poster was identified as a shill account for another poster and according to the probaton thread has been playing fast and loose with the ideas of breach of contract since showing up.

And while people are trying to get ahold of him to pay the books he committed to in other threads he was still posting here.

C