• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,079 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I'd say in certain areas, like his Timely Caps, he's likely got the best (of what I know to exist). I had numerous conversations with John Verzyl about the Church Timely copies in his possession. I remember being in Chicago when John told me that a few Cap issues in the middle 50s numbering weren't what he considered "high grade" but more in the FINE range (I seem to recall issues #55 & #56). He also told me the story of why he didn't own the Church copy of Cap #1, the details surrounding the fact that it's restored and who did the work, despite John beseeching him not to touch it, that he'd buy it as is. I'm probably one of MANY people who wish they'd have had a tape recorder running when talking with John. Steven absolutely DOES have one of if not THE top Timely collections in the world. If his isn't the best, my guess is that it's second only to the Church collection and even then, I bet it'd be close. 

We're not disagreeing here, I'm just leaving a little wiggle room for a few other high grade collections of similar caliber including various pedigreed and non-pedigreed books, grading bumps, etc. My inclination would be to classify Steven's as the best overall, but irrespective of that, when assessed side by side... Steven's collection, Richard "Bedrock" Evan's collection and the Verzyl family's ungraded Church books are all like professional level purpose built race cars at the Indy 500.

Heck, I'm perfectly happy being in a class of well chosen pace cars, occasionally leading the pack, but usually getting out of the way long before the checkered flag. That's plenty good 'nuff from my perspective! (thumbsu

On 10/24/2022 at 2:09 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

We're not disagreeing here, I'm just leaving a little wiggle room for a few other high grade collections of similar caliber including various pedigreed and non-pedigreed books, grading bumps, etc. My inclination would be to classify Steven's as the best overall, but irrespective of that, when assessed side by side... Steven's collection, Richard "Bedrock" Evan's collection and the Verzyl family's ungraded Church books are all like professional level purpose built race cars at the Indy 500.

Heck, I'm perfectly happy being in a class of well chosen pace cars, occasionally leading the pack, but usually getting out of the way long before the checkered flag. That's plenty good 'nuff from my perspective! (thumbsu

I'm satisfied being in the funny car class. (Maybe the clown car class?) 🤡

On 10/24/2022 at 10:34 AM, Robot Man said:

I guess I am in the Toyota Tercel class here.

I was recently over joyed with this one. I bought it MANY years ago with the centerfold missing for a song. Was at a show and just wanted to go home with a Timely. Well, late last week I found a complete coverless copy for more than I paid for this one. Now, I finally got at least a complete married copy.

The cover is a real stinker but is one I rarely see for sale. The contents really make up for the cover though. Has 5 good stories including Torch, Subby, Capt America, Blonde Phantom and Sun Girl. Quite the line up.

Some times it’s fun to feed at the bottom!

36D2C9D4-35FA-491E-ACE3-EA3B49499CF2.jpeg

Definitely a rare gem! Nice!

On 10/23/2022 at 10:14 PM, sartrexpress said:

Thank you so much for those kind words. Cap was my favorite superhero as a kid... maybe because he was the only one my Dad and I could both relate to. I bought a ton or art in the early 70's but then sold it with my comics later on during  college for a months rent and a couch. It wasn't until the 90's that I started collecting again with my kids. Here are  a few Timely's in 9.6 in a group shot..

IMG_9151.PNG

You're very welcome! The effort you've put into building your Timely collection is VERY compliment worthy! It's just astounding that so many of these books exist in these grades, but to see them assembled in one collection ... it's mind blowing!  :applause:

On 10/24/2022 at 2:09 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I don't think we're in disagreement Cat. Of the collections mentioned, I'm much more familiar with Ricky's Timely horde. Since the mid 90s up until the mid 20-teens, we had what Billy dubbed The Timely Geek Club. It was Billy, me, Ricky & Russ and we'd meet yearly, rotating to a different members house each year, bringing our Golden Age to geek on. I never forget Billy's Twilight Marvel Comics #1 coming out of the Fortress and being handed to me! Likewise, I'll never forget paging thru Ricky's killer Larson and Frisco copies of the Mystic and Daring Mystery runs! I've had some high grade Timelys (some I sold to Ricky) but back then, Ricky's were the first high grade copies of the EARLY Timely titles that I'd ever seen. His Friscos and Larsons are some of my favorite books, hence my board name!  :bigsmile:

On 10/24/2022 at 1:45 PM, MrBedrock said:

John Verzyl (his family) has the best Timely collection. There is no debate.

Works for me! The Verzyl's off road books are best in class; have great stock cars and monster trucks too. 

On 10/24/2022 at 2:32 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I don't think we're in disagreement Cat. Of the collections mentioned, I'm much more familiar with Ricky's Timely horde. Since the mid 90s up until the mid 20-teens, we had what Billy dubbed The Timely Geek Club. It was Billy, me, Ricky & Russ and we'd meet yearly, rotating to a different members house each year, bringing our Golden Age to geek on. I never forget Billy's Twilight Marvel Comics #1 coming out of the Fortress and being handed to me! Likewise, I'll never forget paging thru Ricky's killer Larson and Frisco copies of the Mystic and Daring Mystery runs! I've had some high grade Timelys (some I sold to Ricky) but back then, Ricky's were the first high grade copies of the EARLY Timely titles that I'd ever seen. His Friscos and Larsons are some of my favorite books, hence my board name!  :bigsmile:

No disagreement at all, just tuning up the thread's motor.

Setting aside pedigrees for the moment (which we all love), here's my unvarnished truth, painted and fully primed: We all have great books and different approaches to collecting.  I'm sure my meager collection doesn't have anywhere near the depth of most legendary road warrior fleets, but I'm definitely a grade-freak.  

The elephant in the room for grade-freaks is where to draw the line.  Is it all about owning a super nice copy or is it about constantly jockeying for the top grade as determined by third party Fiat at any given point in time? What's really top grade in the era of third gear shifting standards and arbitrary grade bumps? ...And does it matter? I'm neutral.

My graded 9.0 will still be a 9.0 tomorrow even if the next grand prix winner's 8.5 magically becomes a 9.2, 9.4 or ultimately the highway star with an entirely different label. Even if a new pedigree discovery gets a jaw dropping grade that looks uh, ...well, jaw dropping. It's all opinion, right? The one thing that won't change for me is the road the book has traveled, it's pedigree history and a grade based on it's original third party designation.

:cheers:

On 10/24/2022 at 4:40 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I always meant to ask you Ricky, did you ever get to see many/any of the Church Timelys in person?

I would agree that John's Timely collection would blow even the Promise books out of the water. If graded today many would be serious 9.8's.  I had the opportunity to see some of the Church copies when Alex Acevedo from the Alexander Gallery had them. He used to have his Gallery on Madison Ave. in the late 80's and early 90's. He  exhibited  illustration art as well as fine art then and had one of the first if not the first one person exhibitions of Frank Frazetta and H.R. Giger. 

On 10/26/2022 at 11:27 PM, sartrexpress said:

I would agree that John's Timely collection would blow even the Promise books out of the water. If graded today many would be serious 9.8's.  I had the opportunity to see some of the Church copies when Alex Acevedo from the Alexander Gallery had them. He used to have his Gallery on Madison Ave. in the late 80's and early 90's. He  exhibited  illustration art as well as fine art then and had one of the first if not the first one person exhibitions of Frank Frazetta and H.R. Giger. 

I talked with Ricky for quite a while today, having a great conversation about artwork and Timelys and he mentioned the same guy you mentioned (I don't know Alex Acevedo) and also having seen some the Church Timelys. Although John himself did tell me that not all of the Church Timelys are high grade, I bet even the issues that are technically below high grade standards are amazingly sharp and beautiful!!! To hold a raw one is to understand. I've only had about a half dozen or so raw Church copies and they were outstanding to hold!! 

On 10/27/2022 at 4:45 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I talked with Ricky for quite a while today, having a great conversation about artwork and Timelys and he mentioned the same guy you mentioned (I don't know Alex Acevedo) and also having seen some the Church Timelys. Although John himself did tell me that not all of the Church Timelys are high grade, I bet even the issues that are technically below high grade standards are amazingly sharp and beautiful!!! To hold a raw one is to understand. I've only had about a half dozen or so raw Church copies and they were outstanding to hold!! 

I got to know Alex around the late 80's and at that time he had bought about 40 drawings from me from my studio, unfortunately I didn't start recollecting comics until a few years later and John grabbed all the Mile Highs from him already. I think a few also turned up at that first Sotheby's sale like the Cap 7 if my memory is right.  Alex traded everything, from diamonds to African Totems to real estate. But it seemed his main passion was for American art, specifically American Naturalist landscape painting as in the Hudson River School. I wonder where he is now and if anyone here might know?

On 10/27/2022 at 7:57 PM, sartrexpress said:

I got to know Alex around the late 80's and at that time he had bought about 40 drawings from me from my studio, unfortunately I didn't start recollecting comics until a few years later and John grabbed all the Mile Highs from him already. I think a few also turned up at that first Sotheby's sale like the Cap 7 if my memory is right.  Alex traded everything, from diamonds to African Totems to real estate. But it seemed his main passion was for American art, specifically American Naturalist landscape painting as in the Hudson River School. I wonder where he is now and if anyone here might know?

Interesting ... thanks for sharing. That was just before I started collecting Golden Age. I came in about '91-'92 and even then, I focused more of Silver Age Marvels.