• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,088 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2022 at 9:57 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This page is so important for historical purposes, and I never knew it existed.  Stupid question:  who is this artist?  Is it Burgos?  I find curious the picture on the back of Torch's shirt in the 3rd panel.  I guess it's the artist's way of reminding the reader of the Torch's alter ego.

Along with the Burgos, there's also a couple pages of Kirby art in that pulp

Marvel Stories Nov 1940 Kirby1.jpg

Marvel Stories Nov 1940 Kirby2.jpg

On 1/2/2023 at 10:24 PM, Ameri said:

Along with the Burgos, there's also a couple pages of Kirby art in that pulp

Marvel Stories Nov 1940 Kirby1.jpg

Marvel Stories Nov 1940 Kirby2.jpg

Concept-wise, the splash art from The Queen of Venus story seems to have influenced Alex Schomburg's cover for Captain America #3 which appeared on the newsstands in mid-March '41. hm

This isn't a swipe, but elements are clearly there. Thanks for posting another intriguing pulp & comic connection.

:cheers:

On 1/3/2023 at 2:20 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Concept-wise, the splash art from The Queen of Venus story seems to have influenced Alex Schomburg's cover for Captain America #3 which appeared on the newsstands in mid-March '41. hm

This isn't a swipe, but elements are clearly there. Thanks for posting another intriguing pulp & comic connection.

This made me think of Cap 3, too

On 1/6/2023 at 11:59 PM, sartrexpress said:

From the first Sothebys Auction of comics in 1991. looking back the grading is a little wacky and the prices realized even wackier. 

IMG_9772.jpg

IMG_9773.jpg

IMG_9775.jpg

IMG_9777.jpg

IMG_9778.jpg

Fascinating catalog. Thirty two years back almost pre-dates Gerber's Photo-Journal books which came out in '90 if I'm not mistaken.  GA collecting was going through a strong period of revived interest at the time (based on my recollection), but figuring out an across the board 10 point grading system that would be widely accepted was still a ways off.

I seem to recall Sotheby's had Jerry Weist's guidance at some point (championing early auctions), but they were still feeling their way around auctioning the comic collector's market. 

On 1/6/2023 at 11:59 PM, sartrexpress said:

From the first Sothebys Auction of comics in 1991. looking back the grading is a little wacky and the prices realized even wackier. 

IMG_9772.jpg

I would LOVE to have this Marvel Comics #2 cover prelim by Everett!!!!  (worship)  SUCH a treasure!!!  :applause: