• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2023 at 12:59 PM, Robot Man said:

Don't remember if I ever posted this beater.

Got this MANY years ago from Bud Plant's boxes at SDCC. First copy I ever saw. I believe it was $35. Got a lot of laughing from people for buying it. Yes, it has a couple bullet holes all the way through it. I carefully went through and popped them back out. Not much reason to grade it but if I ever did, it would be funny to see the graders notes and label...:roflmao:

comsubmariner32.jpg

Love it!!! FINALLY Everett drew a cover assignment!!! :takeit:if it becomes available! 🙂

On 1/13/2023 at 1:54 PM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, no way would I leave my collection to a museum. There is just no respect. And, they control if it gets displayed or even sold. I quiver at the thought of people I don't know mistreating what I have spent so long acquiring. My collection will be sold by my family. Hopefully at auction.I would wish to have my wife, kids and grandkids get the money and to have my stuff spread out as much as possible to those who will love and take care of it as I have. 

At the end of the day, you come into this world naked, and screaming with nothing. And this is the way you will leave it...

Truth is, holder or no holder, comics will disintegrate over time unless they are stored in vacuum sealed containers as the Smithsonian does for perishable objects of value and significance. (cgc holders are great though, in that they delay the inevitable)

Second, museums hold great works of art in storage that never see the light of day, perhaps because they are considered irrelevant by todays standards.. 

Edited by sartrexpress

On 1/13/2023 at 9:09 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Timely cards were asked about earlier (this is a Sentinels of Liberty set with card; early version '41)...

(edited)_image_zpsv2oi5bbl.thumb.jpg.fd3375f0b7f091fd8feff659f23314c1.jpg

The card image of Cap would change slightly after S&K left and brass badge would briefly be stamped in copper after we got into the war.

Then the ad promoted set would apparently be discontinued in mid to late '42 or early '43. 

:cheers:

This is beautiful . I’m a character collector for Sub-Mariner cards as well as comics I always wondered if they had anything for this era . Currently the earliest Subby sticker/card I could find is marvel mania sheet from 1969 mail away only promo for their club members in the 60s. Is there anything from the golden era that is Subby related ? 

On 1/16/2023 at 12:40 PM, MrBedrock said:

I owned that book in the '90s. I got it in a trade from Dan Greenhaugh in '94 or so. In '99 we were trying to buy a new house and coincidentally Nicolas Cage was putting together his Marvel Mystery run. I sold twelve or so books to Fishler for Cage, including the Chicago #4 and this #5.

The label should state "From the Collection of MrBedrock and some actor". :sumo:

On 1/16/2023 at 1:55 PM, Subby1938 said:

This is beautiful . I’m a character collector for Sub-Mariner cards as well as comics I always wondered if they had anything for this era . Currently the earliest Subby sticker/card I could find is marvel mania sheet from 1969 mail away only promo for their club members in the 60s. Is there anything from the golden era that is Subby related ? 

I'm not saying there aren't any, but I haven't come across any promotional items (club membership/trading cards, figurines, etc.) featuring Subby from the 40's. Most of the comic hero promotional collectibles focused on mega-selling characters like Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel or flag draped patriotic heroes (war era) like MLJ's The Shield and Timely's Captain America. There are 30's era pulp related promo items (rings, club membership cards, etc) centered around darkly heroic characters like Street & Smith's The Shadow and Popular's The Spider, perhaps a few more.  It's a fascinating area of collecting that adds context to the widespread appeal of Depression & WWII era fictional heroes.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:40 AM, MrBedrock said:

I owned that book in the '90s. I got it in a trade from Dan Greenhaugh in '94 or so. In '99 we were trying to buy a new house and coincidentally Nicolas Cage was putting together his Marvel Mystery run. I sold twelve or so books to Fishler for Cage, including the Chicago #4 and this #5.

The old “sell comics to buy a house”…I know it well. I miss my More Fun 52 all the time…:sorry:

I have gotton over the rest.

On 1/16/2023 at 5:15 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm not saying there aren't any, but I haven't come across any promotional items (club membership/trading cards, figurines, etc.) featuring Subby from the 40's. Most of the comic hero promotional collectibles focused on mega-selling characters like Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel or flag draped patriotic heroes (war era) like MLJ's The Shield and Timely's Captain America. There are 30's era pulp related promo items (rings, club membership cards, etc) centered around darkly heroic characters like Street & Smith's The Shadow and Popular's The Spider, perhaps a few more.  It's a fascinating area of collecting that adds context to the widespread appeal of Depression & WWII era fictional heroes.

Speaking from the experience of collecting premiums almost as long as I have collected comics, I have never seen any GA Subby stuff. Only the Capt. America kit Timely wise.

And, by the way, there are quite a few obscure comic book club and premiums other than DC, Tinely and Fawcett. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 1/17/2023 at 10:31 AM, Robot Man said:

The old “sell comics to buy a house”…I know it well. I miss my More Fun 52 all the time…:sorry:

I have gotton over the rest.

It is great to have all of this stuff, but sometimes having something to sell comes in handy in times of need.

On 1/12/2023 at 1:06 PM, Frisco Larson said:

This Cap came from "The Trunk Collection" in the mid 90s and the spine of the covers were split. I had Matt seal the spine split and now it's a sweet copy to handle! No need to be afraid of some conservation kiddies, it was all done by a professional, in a professional environment, using professional materials. (thumbsu Of course, the side benefit to keeping it raw is that I get to thumb it up and take pics to share! Some cool splash pages and a few neato house ads! :banana:

Captain America Comics 26.jpg

Captain America 26 pg 1.jpg

Captain America 26 pg 2.jpg

Captain America 26 pg 3.jpg

Captain America 26 pg 4.jpg

Captain America 26 pg 5.jpg

I have this book slabbed, your pics make me want to crack it out.  Had no idea it has splashes this frigging cool!  

On 1/19/2023 at 12:08 PM, ChasingKingKirby said:

I have this book slabbed, your pics make me want to crack it out.  Had no idea it has splashes this frigging cool!  

It's kinda funny, as I was telling a buddy just yesterday that I had posted a fair number of interior pics of Golden Age books recently. The main purpose of which is that a lot of people who have those books have them certified and don't know what the interiors look like. Thanks for letting me know that you enjoyed the pics!  (thumbsu