• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2023 at 10:12 PM, mwotka said:

Just got this delivered a few days ago and really digging it.  

Captain America 31.jpg

This is SUCH a great Schomburg cover that I feel is a little bit overlooked due to the 26-28 trio that precedes it (I also think #29 is overlooked). This is one of a very few Cap covers where a woman is in peril and in need of rescue (typically that role goes to Bucky) and it's also worth noting that this is the second to last Schomburg BIG FAT Timely (as some of us call them) before they shrink down to the much narrower size (#33 being the last BIG FAT Schomburg). Great pick up!!!  (thumbsu

On 1/22/2023 at 8:37 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Completed a Cap 65.  Thanks @Larryw7.  

0FBB6790-118F-46D5-ACF9-9B19057A3FAA.jpeg

6105D7BE-7F5B-4FFA-A393-E2799DD08C64.jpeg

That's awesome! I've been fortunate enough to complete quite a few books over the years and it's such a great feeling to, in a sense, MAKE some Golden Age! They don't make these anymore, but WE can by carefully combining incomplete remnants and creating more existing copies! Well done, Doc!!!  :applause:

On 1/22/2023 at 9:49 AM, Frisco Larson said:

That's awesome! I've been fortunate enough to complete quite a few books over the years and it's such a great feeling to, in a sense, MAKE some Golden Age! They don't make these anymore, but WE can by carefully combining incomplete remnants and creating more existing copies! Well done, Doc!!!  :applause:

I agree completely.  Pun intended.  Credit where it’s due, I purchased both parts from Larry.  He did the tough part, finding the appropriate pieces.  I basically just cracked a case.  A great feeling nonetheless. 

Edited by DocHoppus182
Spelling

On 1/22/2023 at 8:52 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I agree completely.  Pun intended.  Credit where it’s due, I purchased both parts from Larry.  He did the tough part, finding the appropriate pieces.  I basically just cracked a case.  A great feeling nonetheless. 

It's a great way to get into a book that you may have no other way to afford! I'd say my BIGGEST completion was a Detective #28. I bought one missing a centerfold and an hour or so later, FOUND a centerfold for it!!!  :whatthe: I couldn't believe it!!! Just goes to show ... ya never know! (thumbsu

On 1/20/2023 at 7:22 AM, Frisco Larson said:

This is SUCH a great Schomburg cover that I feel is a little bit overlooked due to the 26-28 trio that precedes it (I also think #29 is overlooked). This is one of a very few Cap covers where a woman is in peril and in need of rescue (typically that role goes to Bucky) and it's also worth noting that this is the second to last Schomburg BIG FAT Timely (as some of us call them) before they shrink down to the much narrower size (#33 being the last BIG FAT Schomburg). Great pick up!!!  (thumbsu

Yah and I believe Cap 28 is the first in the run that was cut down from 16 wraps (64 pages) to 14 wraps (56 pages). Cap 41 was the last to have 14 wraps before they cut down to 12 wraps (48 pages) with Cap 42. 

also, I remember Cap 34-35 still being big bedsheet books..? I think 36 is when they started to get a little skinny. 37 is certainly a smaller book. 

A friend of mine went to Pearl Harbor and took this photo. He said it was a 
submarine at pearl harbor and it showed where the soldiers slept and stayed; it showed memorabilia from that time during WWII. 

I wonder if that is a Cap 27 prop or a borrowed real copy from the owner? @808Timelys

@loboagain

509584F5-F5B3-4DBE-B411-807B44D0D726.jpeg

On 1/22/2023 at 2:38 PM, Primetime said:

Yah and I believe Cap 28 is the first in the run that was cut down from 16 wraps (64 pages) to 14 wraps (56 pages). Cap 41 was the last to have 14 wraps before they cut down to 12 wraps (48 pages) with Cap 42. 

also, I remember Cap 34-35 still being big bedsheet books..? I think 36 is when they started to get a little skinny. 37 is certainly a smaller book. 

As far as pages, my only raw Caps in that area are #26 & #33, so I'd be able to check those. #33 is the last big fat Schomburg. #36 is the first smaller size Cap. 

On 1/22/2023 at 12:50 PM, Frisco Larson said:

As far as pages, my only raw Caps in that area are #26 & #33, so I'd be able to check those. #33 is the last big fat Schomburg. #36 is the first smaller size Cap. 

My 33 is raw and is definitely a big bed sheet 64 pager. I’ve owned a 34 and 35 long ago and think I remember them as large 64 pagers. 36 is definitely smaller. 

On 1/22/2023 at 2:38 PM, Primetime said:

On 1/22/2023 at 2:55 PM, Primetime said:

My 33 is raw and is definitely a big bed sheet 64 pager. I’ve owned a 34 and 35 long ago and think I remember them as large 64 pagers. 36 is definitely smaller. 

Ok, as for comic book size, issue #35 is the last big size and #36 is the first small size. I know this as I've owned both of them at the same time. I can't remember for sure where the page count changes, but I seem to recall at some point in there, that there are 16 pages to the centerfold and 12 from the centerfold to the back. That is when they had the two very small nub-like partial pages. Then sometime later, the page count decreases even more.