• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2023 at 10:09 PM, Ameri said:

(worship)Jeepers, such beauties, many congratulations. Wish I had some higher grade ones but was not meant to be and ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Here's my copies. 

cap 2 cgc.jpg

cap 3 cgc.jpg

cap 4.jpg

CAP 5.jpg

CAP 6.jpg

cap 7 CGC.jpg

CAP 8.jpg

cap 9.jpg

cap 10.jpg

cap 12.jpg

You have a fantastic run of early Caps Ameri!!!! Speaking as someone who sold most of his early Caps, it'd be very costly to reproduce what you've just posted here without being a wealthy person!!! Well done!!!  :applause:

On 1/11/2023 at 2:30 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

As for resubmissions, I prefer keeping the old labels and mentally adding .5 or .2 to my books without any reassessment or manipulation. 

(I know, I know, it's da low budget el cheapo approach, but what can I say)... :bigsmile: 

Reveal hidden contents

4822e40c-80b4-461f-bb94-9a55d9560235_zps6bb8ffa6.jpg.380b5eca247832a7d478ab7e1e5a9494.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

c30a88b5-8431-4d3f-8db6-e9799833a689_zpse0c19efc.jpg.5309f9688f4721ad2d2f080cf3195559.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

CA6-1A_zpsc275a8a4.jpg.5f4b407dd8d4ffb094e900fe078073fc.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

fd71569b-b808-4a44-badb-b93c75def28d_zpsdptokvnf.jpg.20eb53c6406c1e6f580b4f5dbad1d3c8.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

1aa09d8b-aec0-402d-a299-e924f827c14e_zpsb393810a.jpg.8d400efd0d15b43308cdd3d3c6ba19a4.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

c4d77267-3c58-40eb-b901-5502daef19df_zps0d6134ee.jpg.992005f34a833c73d51d9bd91fa6d423.jpg

Something to keep in mind Cat, is that the new holders have SO much more clarity in viewing your books! Many older holders I've seen are dull and scratched up and really do a book a disservice. Also, in a group shot or a picture from a distance, it's MUCH easier to see the numerical grade compared to the first-generation holders. Just my 2c.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:30 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Love all your books, especially those copies of Cap #3 & #4. I've never been able to zero in on high grade copies of those two Schomburg books and now they'd be outta reach for sure.

As for resubmissions, I prefer keeping the old labels and mentally adding .5 or .2 to my books without any reassessment or manipulation. 

Hi Cat,

I love that you are posting regularly again. So glad that you are doing well. I have been trying all morning to come up with a proper response to your comment above about resubmissions in response to my post and scans. I thought a response to the implication that all resubs are assumed to be manipulated, or maybe a snide comment about how the old labels are ugly and the holders are deteriorating, or maybe even some pointed comment about how others might mentally subtract .5 or .2 to those CBCS books you post.

But I thought better of it. I will simply say I respect your decision to keep your books however you wish to keep them, in whatever holders you wish to keep them, and I don't care at all what reasons you have used to make yourself happy.

Your pal,

Richard

Edited by MrBedrock

On 1/11/2023 at 11:10 AM, MrBedrock said:

Hi Cat,

I love that you are posting regularly again. So glad that you are doing well. I have been trying all morning to come up with a proper response to your comment above about resubmissions in response to my post and scans. I thought a response to the implication that all resubs are assumed to be manipulated, or maybe a snide comment about how the old labels are ugly and the holders are deteriorating, or maybe even some pointed comment about how others might mentally subtract .5 or .2 to those CBCS books you post.

But I thought better of it. I will simply say I respect your decision to keep your books however you wish to keep them, in whatever holders you wish to keep them, and I don't care at all what reasons you have used to make yourself happy.

Your pal,

Richard

Hi Richard...

I've been replying on the boards regularly, daily in fact, you might've just missed some of those posts.  I've also been posting on FB, respond daily (mostly with "gnus" related humor), follow your postings when there's time and have responded with "likes" or "loves" to many of the books you've been displaying when when I see your posts. FYI, I started posting images from my collection on FB ...sans labels... over two years ago. 

No snideness was implied in my earlier post. Sorry you took it that way, but it was posted rather late and ale was involved, so it's understandable if others misinterpreted what I was saying; that's on me. I'm not suggesting any manipulations of your books, just that resubmissions ...generally... often involve grade bumps or aspirations of same. Again, I wasn't assuming anything about your books, just admiring them; I don't know if any of your reholders have received bumps nor care if they have. My comments were directed at books from my own collection with a touch of humor along with well wishes to everyone; you may be overthinking my remarks.

Submitting books for reassessment is a personal choice based on how loose or tight one surmises the grading to be at any given point in time.  You seem to be telling me you like the new holder clarity so it's safe to assume none of these will be cracked out in your clever What's Crackin'? YouTube posts. I have no idea whether new holders or older holders deteriorate with age; some folks think they do, some don't. I also scrupulously avoided criticizing the newer labels in my post as that ground has been covered ad nauseum and my opinions are already well known on the subject. You're right, aesthetically I'm not fond of the newer CGC labels, but I do think the antique gold pedigree labels are boss.

As for labels, again, aesthetics are a personal choice. Clarity is certainly a worthwhile discussion point, and I'd agree 100% that the new holders are clearer than those of prior design. That's a reasonable factor to consider given that earlier holders employed an inner well with Barex resin sleeve that provided less clarity and the new holders have sonic-welds with no sleeve (I'd certainly reconsider if 50's & 60's era books were holdered with vintage old school Tuesday Welds). Are new holders better or worse? Who knows? They are certainly clearer. FTR, I have no idea which holders provide the best protection for books. If there's a study of this, I'd love to see it.

Cheers (:cheers:) and thanks in advance for your understanding,

Your friend, Cat :foryou:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
ale added (for next time we get together)

On 1/10/2023 at 10:09 PM, Ameri said:

(worship)Jeepers, such beauties, many congratulations. Wish I had some higher grade ones but was not meant to be and ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Here's my copies. 

cap 2 cgc.jpg

cap 3 cgc.jpg

cap 4.jpg

CAP 5.jpg

CAP 6.jpg

cap 7 CGC.jpg

CAP 8.jpg

cap 9.jpg

cap 10.jpg

cap 12.jpg

Wow! I want your Cap #4! :luhv:

On 1/11/2023 at 11:10 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Something to keep in mind Cat, is that the new holders have SO much more clarity in viewing your books! Many older holders I've seen are dull and scratched up and really do a book a disservice. Also, in a group shot or a picture from a distance, it's MUCH easier to see the numerical grade compared to the first-generation holders. Just my 2c.

Certainly points to consider and your 2 cents is another valued viewpoint.

My holders aren't all scratched up, but first and second generation CGC holders are duller by comparison.  Seeing the numerical grade clearly isn't that critical to me; the first holders you almost need a magnifier to see the grade. The second generation holders (2003 - 2015?) got the aesthetic balance right, IMO.  My personal preference is seeing the book ...even if not as clearly... to a billboarded grade, but that's just me; I'm probably a lone voice in the wilderness.  

Like McDonald's says, Billions Served.  I'm not sure whether that means customers, burgers or just a reflection of vox populi, but popularity rules. (thumbsu

On 1/11/2023 at 2:44 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Certainly points to consider and your 2 cents is another valued viewpoint.

My holders aren't all scratched up, but first and second generation CGC holders are duller by comparison.  Seeing the numerical grade clearly isn't that critical to me; the first holders you almost need a magnifier to see the grade. The second generation holders (2003 - 2015?) got the aesthetic balance right, IMO.  My personal preference is seeing the book ...even if not as clearly... to a billboarded grade, but that's just me; I'm probably a lone voice in the wilderness.  

Like McDonald's says, Billions Served.  I'm not sure whether that means customers, burgers or just a reflection of vox populi, but popularity rules. (thumbsu

The choice is yours and yours alone. You've got a LOT of fantastic comics and how you choose to contain them comes with the price of purchase. I AM curious though (of course, you're under no obligation to satisfy my curiosity) as to why you prefer the first gen holders. Do you think that re-holdering puts some instant stigma to the comic inside as to indicate that it's been manipulated in some way? I can understand that thinking, as many times comics ARE pressed or surface cleaned, which aren't considered restoration by certification companies. However, I know plenty of people who simply re-submitted the books for re-grading, without any procedure being performed. Anyway, just curious as to why you prefer the old holders as I personally see no advantage in quality, clarity and in MOST instances the labels don't carry anywhere NEAR the same level of creator information. 

On 1/11/2023 at 12:10 PM, MrBedrock said:

Hi Cat,

Your pal,

Richard

I'm disappointed in you.  I can't see how this is going to escalate into a flame war from such a from such a classy reply.

I will have to look for entertainment elsewhere. 

I can’t even hope to tread water in this pool. Personaly, I prefer my lowly Timely beaters in mylars. Nothing is clearer than a shiny new Mylar. And if they get scratched I just replace them. Nothing like a stupid number in the upper left corner to distract from the beautiful covers. And I can pull them out, read and thumb them anytime I want…

On 1/12/2023 at 10:48 AM, Robot Man said:

I can’t even hope to tread water in this pool. Personaly, I prefer my lowly Timely beaters in mylars. Nothing is clearer than a shiny new Mylar. And if they get scratched I just replace them. Nothing like a stupid number in the upper left corner to distract from the beautiful covers. And I can pull them out, read and thumb them anytime I want…

There is a lot of benefit to the attitude presented in your post RM! SO many of the Golden Age comics we see posted have incredible artwork on the inside! I love thumbing thru a big fat Golden Age book, taking in a whiff of that vintage paper as I enjoy looking at the artwork, checking out some cool house ads and occasionally even reading a well written story! However, in this new age of certified collecting, a lot of people I've seen post and some I've met at shows are openly afraid to handle raw comics ... afraid that they might damage them, and many seem to have absolutely no idea how to accurately grade a comic or check it for restoration, SO, they steer clear of them altogether. Another factor is that you were describing your Timely copies as beaters (I suspect a little self-deprecation there), and you can easily see that a LOT of the comics being posted here are very high-grade and therefore, at quite the financial risk if they were to be damaged while thumbing them up. It seems that certification has bred a new way to collect, and many choose that path. I'm crazy ... I have both certified and raw books ... high grade, mid-grade, low grade & no grade are all to be found in my crazy collection. That's perhaps the best part of collecting comics; there's so many ways to do it and all of them are important to maintaining a well-rounded hobby! Keep those beaters coming ... I love to see them!!! (thumbsu

On 1/12/2023 at 11:31 AM, Subby1938 said:

Beautiful comics Mr. Bedrock. Would you happen to know if Timely ever produced period correct trading cards or promotional cards from golden period similar to what I’ve seen with 1940s Superman cards etc ? 

None that I am aware of. The only card type Timely item that I have ever seen is the Sentinels of Liberty membership card with Captain America.