• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,079 posts in this topic

My first Timely....

MM42FC.jpg

Piper, you started right! That isn't an easy issue, and what a cover.

Congrats!

I wrote this back in 1995 for CBM. Thought some hardcore Timely fans would find it interesting, since the books are so scarce to put this together......

ORIGINS

The last issue of CBM explored the rarity and desirability of certain Timely issues. Prominent among those was Submariner 32 and Marvel Mystery 92. The reason that these two issues are special is that each issue, respectively, recounts the origins of the Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch. Of historical importance, each re-telling embellished, and to some extent, modified the original stories as they appeared in Marvel Comics 1.

SUB-MARINER

MARVEL COMICS 1

As originally presented, Leonard McKenzie was leading a scientific expedition in Antarctic in 1920. His blasting of ice was causing irreparable damage to a city of sub-mariners. An army was formed and Princess Fen was chosen to act as a spy because she most closely resembled the surface dwellers. Fen was instructed by the Emperor, her father, to find her “way into the hands of these white monsters, there to work your feminine wiles to our racial advantage”.

Fen was found and befriended by Capt. McKenzie. They became fast friends, fell in love and married. However, she continued to send back secret information to her people. She reported that the surface dwellers were too powerful. Even before they could prepare their first counter-attack, a powerful blast destroyed their city and all but a handful of the sub-mariners.

The story advances 20 years where Princess Fen tells her son Namor, son of she and Capt. McKenzie, that it has taken twenty years to recover but it is now time to exact their revenge on the surface dwellers. That revenge will be inflicted through Namor who can live both on land and sea, “an ultra man of the deep”, who can fly and has the strength of a thousand men

SUB-MARINER COMICS 32

When retold in the June 1949 issue of Sub-Mariner Comics (this was the final golden age issue of the title. The title continued with issue 33 to 42- April 1954 to October 1955), the story starts with Capt. McKenzie having been lost and his ship leaves without him. McKenzie had fallen and broken his leg in an ice crevice. Fen finds him. McKenzie addresses her as “Princess Fen” (It is never explained how he knows that she is a princess, let alone part of a race of sub-mariners.) This account has no destruction of the city as in Marvel Comics 1.

McKenzie is taken back to the city by soldiers who wish to kill him for the crimes that have been committed against the sub-mariners. Fen intervenes stating that this is a decision to be made by the Emperor. As opposed to the original story, Fen is equivocal about her love for McKenzie and states she only married him to learn about the plans of the “invaders”.

Coming to grips with her emotions, Fen declares that she is to be re-married to McKenzie in accord with her traditions. Such marriage will make him a part of her race.

Her father, the Emperor returns, and is outraged by the marriage. Summoning Fen and McKenzie he declares that McKenzie should be put to death for the crimes against the sub-mariners. Before he can act, an ice-breaker detonates an explosive charge to get through the ice. Shock waves are sent through the city. Fen and McKenzie escape in the confusion. Fen helps McKenzie escape to the ice-breaker. Enraged by his daughter’s perfidy, he sentences her to imprisonment for life.

Several months go by when the news comes that Fen has had a son.

Initially, the Emperor wishes to banish them to America, but changes his mind and sends Fen and the baby away, to return in ten years.

Returning in exactly ten years the Emperor declares the boy to be “Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner”. He is charged by his grandfather to dedicate his life to the “eternal war against acts of crime and evil”.

The story moves forward another ten years when the city is again rocked by explosives from a passing ship. Namor sinks the ship and declares that it is time to travel north and commence his war against America.

A third abbreviated version appears in Young Men 24 (December 1953) (a wonderful comic that contains short origins of Sub-Mariner, the Human Torch and Captain America that launched a short revival of these characters in the mid 1950s). In this story Namor is portrayed as the off-spring of a goddess of a tribe of man-like mammals and the captain of an expedition to Antarctic. Mother and child were left behind after the expedition returned to America. Over the years the city of the aquatic tribe were periodically damaged by explosions to the ice cap. Perceiving this as a direct assault on their domain, Namor’s mother dispatches him to seek revenge on the surface dwellers.

HUMAN TORCH

MARVEL COMICS 1

As the story opens, Professor Horton announces to the press that he has created a synthetic man. Unfortunately, there is a “problem” in that his creation bursts into flame when he contacts air. The press perceive this as a menace to society and maintain a campaign to have him destroyed.

Members of the scientific community, who inspects the android, agree. They hit upon the idea to encase him in a glass tomb and submerge it in a pool of concrete. Although Horton vows to find a solution to the flaming problem, his creature is soon forgotten.

One night a tremendous explosion occurs and the creature is released. Over time a small leak had occurred releasing the power of the flame. The Torch goes through town, causing havoc. The Torch is concerned about the fires he has started and submerges himself in a swimming pool to extinquish his flame. The pool is on the grounds of a gangster named Sardo who activates a glass cover (used in the winter) to trap the Torch. He decides to use the creature in an extortion racket.

The owner of a steel factory refuses to purchase “fire insurance” from Sardo. Sardo places the Torch, who is within a glass tube, in the steel factory. He breaks the tube and the Torch bursts into flame causing great destruction. The Torch reasons out that Sardo is using him for crooked purposes and flies to Sardo’s estate to have his revenge. Sardo has locked himself in a steel vault/laboratory where Sardo unsuccessfully tries to destroy the Torch.

As fire rages uncontrollably through the estate, Professor Horton (inexplicably) appears and races into the burning building to remove (inexplicably) a tank of nitrogen. The Torch suddenly appears and grabs the tank. As the tank melts and the gas released, the Torch’s flame is extinguished. Returning to the basement vault, the Torch is offered a tank of nitrogen by Sardo only if the Torch will release him. (Sardo, somehow, has reasoned that the nitrogen has accounted for the Torch’s normal condition). The Torch refuses and in the ensuing melee, Sardo is killed as he tries to destroy the Torch.

Experimenting with the tank of nitrogen, the Torch finds he finally can control his flame without the use of the gas. The Torch is brought to court for his perceived crimes. Explaining his actions to the judge, the Torch is released into the custody of Professor Horton, who perceives that he can make millions from the Torch now that he can control his flame. Repulsed by this greed, the Torch vows to never to be used for selfish gain or crime by anyone. With that he leaves Horton’s home to pursue further adventures.

MARVEL MYSTERY 92

In this final issue of the title, Professor Horton is portrayed a bit more favorably. The Torch has not seen Professor Horton for ten years. (This absence of a visit for so long makes sense in view of the ending of the original account. However, this long absence makes little sense in view of the amended origin story as recounted below). Coming to the home of his creator as Horton lies on his deathbed, the Torch reminisces over his creation....

In this retelling, fellow scientists are first called to his home to view the Torch and see if they can help Horton control the flame. Seeing Horton’s creation as a menace to civilization, they release the story to the papers, portraying Horton as insane. Resenting this characterization, Horton invites members of the press to see the Torch. (This reverses the order of the original story). They too see the Torch as a threat.

Spurned by the press, Horton works day and night on a solution to solve the flaming problem. Finally after months of failure, Horton collapses from exhaustion. Horton is convinced by his doctor to rest and give up on his quest. Admitting his failure, Horton encases the Torch in a pool of concrete.

As in the original tale, the Torch is released by an apparent leak of air on August 10, 1940. The story then follows the original until the Torch returns after causing chaos in the city. In the updated version, he returns to a pool at the home of Professor Horton. Horton is approached by Sardo and threatened if he does not allow Sardo to use the Torch for extortion. After being beaten by Sardo’s thugs, Horton reluctantly agrees.

Again the account follows the original with Sardo’s extortion scheme refused by the owner of a factory and the Torch released in that facility. Although a fire ensues, Horton, Sardo and his gang are outside as authorities come to put out the blaze. The Torch is sprayed by a chemical by the fire fighters. Horton is shot by Sardo. The Torch starts out in deadly pursuit of the gang causing their car to crash.

After subduing the crooks, the Torch is able to wish is flame off, wondering whether the chemical spray had anything to do with it. Being advised that Horton is seriously injured, he rushes to his side where he learns that Horton is paralyzed and will be bedridden for the rest of his life. The Torch takes the same pledge as in the original story (although for different reasons).

Returning to the present, the Torch is there as Horton is belatedly recognized by the scientific community for his contribution to science. Mere hours later, on December 28, 1948, as the Torch looks on, Horton dies.

The brief synopsis of his origin in Young Men 24, has the Torch being able to control his flames immediately upon his creation. Recognizing immediately the special abilities the Torch has to combat evil in the world, Horton proclaims that the Human Torch will be the “Torch of Liberty”.

As last issues, both comics are extremely scarce. As modified origin stories, both issues hold critical importance to the mythos of the Timely/Marvel universe. Although the Human Torch and the Sub-Mariner briefly resurfaced in the mid 1950s, Sub-Mariner Comics 32 and Marvel Mystery 92, both covered dated June 1949 signaled the end of the golden age for Timely Comics. With lead time necessary for writing and drawing issues and placing them on the newsstands well in advance of the cover date, in a real sense, the Timely golden age symbolically died along with Professor Horton on that cold December day.

JSB 2/4/95

I enjoy it too...I Have read marvel 1 and MMC 92, but never had a chance to read subby 32

gator

nut up in february and you can read mine.

I need to make it....need to check out all your new acquisitions!...bring it, big boy!

Here are my Timelys (thumbs u

Classic Pulp-like Schomburg cover

MarvelMystery5CGC2.jpg

Classic Torch vs.Subby Battle Issue---this copy is a far cry from my former 3.0 copy doh!

Marvel_Mystery_9_fa2.jpg

Human_Torch__8_FC_My_Copy.jpg

Cool Schomburg parachute cover! (thumbs u

USA7FC.jpg

The BEST Cap cover! :cool:

allSelect1front.jpg

Love that whoppin' machine gun Cap! :sumo:

All_Select__2_FC.jpg

MarvelMystery5CGC2.jpg

Classic Torch vs.Subby Battle Issue---this copy is a far cry from my former 3.0 copy doh!

Marvel_Mystery_9_fa2.jpg

USA7FC.jpg

allSelect1front.jpg

All_Select__2_FC.jpg

some of the best ones out there

:applause:

MarvelMystery5CGC2.jpg

Marvel_Mystery_9_fa2.jpg

USA7FC.jpg

allSelect1front.jpg

All_Select__2_FC.jpg

that really is one hell of a set of covers.

Just back from CGC. This book has a small water stain on the top and bottom of the spine visible only on the back cover. The front cover, on the other hand, well...it's magnificent!

daring1.jpg