• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
29 29

23,113 posts in this topic

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments about my Marvel Mystery Comics #4.

It was CGC graded when I bought it, purple label 0.5 Moderate (A) Trimmed/Incomplete. (Incomplete because of the incorrect back cover, that's how I was able to afford it, lol!) I promptly cracked it out when it arrived, and read it from cover to cover, just for the experience.

As you should!! :applause: Those Submariner stories in particular from the early MMC's are spectacular!

It was CGC graded when I bought it, purple label 0.5 Moderate (A) Trimmed/Incomplete. (Incomplete because of the incorrect back cover, that's how I was able to afford it, lol!) I promptly cracked it out when it arrived, and read it from cover to cover, just for the experience.

As you should!! :applause: Those Submariner stories in particular from the early MMC's are spectacular!

I agree :cloud9:

I agree :cloud9:

Good stuff - enjoy the book!!

I find myself going into my comic book room 2 or 3 times a day just to look at it. Just imagine what I'd do if I ever owned a true GA key. :)

Just an fyi, this a "true" GA key around these parts.

;)

For sure. 1st Subby cover in the MM run..bondage...Schomburg...1st Nazi swastika.. (thumbs u

It's also a yellow cover which has a special appeal to many collectors...and argueably one of Schomburg's finest covers.

A true classic cover.

:applause:

I find myself going into my comic book room 2 or 3 times a day just to look at it. Just imagine what I'd do if I ever owned a true GA key. :)

Just an fyi, this a "true" GA key around these parts.

;)

For sure. 1st Subby cover in the MM run..bondage...Schomburg...1st Nazi swastika.. (thumbs u

was once thought to be the first swastika; i think there's a top-notch that pre-dated it.

Yeah, Top-Notch #2 is cover dated January 1940 (one month earlier) and shows a swastika on the wing of a plane.

But I'll still take the MMC #4 any day. :)

The cover scene actually occurs in the Sub-Mariner story too.

I was surprised to see artwork by Irwin Hasen in it too, on the "Ferret, Mystery Detective" story. I guess I've always thought of Hasen as a DC artist.

I would like to see what the correct back cover looks like, just so I could casually keep an eye out for one. I'm not going to drive myself crazy beating the bushes for one, but I would at least like to know what it looks like *just in case*.

I suppose there is a way to search for one on the Heritage website, but I tried and didn't find any. I'm probably not doing it right.

But I'm pretty much happy with the book the way it is at the moment.

I would like to see what the correct back cover looks like, just so I could casually keep an eye out for one. I'm not going to drive myself crazy beating the bushes for one, but I would at least like to know what it looks like *just in case*.

I suppose there is a way to search for one on the Heritage website, but I tried and didn't find any. I'm probably not doing it right.

But I'm pretty much happy with the book the way it is at the moment.

here is the MMC 4 back cover:

mmc4bc.jpg

Hey Guys! :grin:

open the door, pauly, open it up wide

Rick you are so gay, not that there is anything wrong with that. :cry:

Well, I can do this (((Paul))) and not be called gay (not that there is anything wrong with that), lol...SO nice to see you, Paul, you were missed:)

cueing Bedrock to come in and post that BEAUT of a MMC4... or RD, his is about the nicest (outside of bedrock's) I have seen

Thanks for the intro....you just had to call me out!

My corner stone comic.

:cloud9:

Front cover:

MarvelMysteryComics4CGC9_0Rmylite2.jpg

Thanks a million! (Image saved.)

And thank you (((Sha!))) Didn't you say you had a MMC #4 too?

And here's the back cover on my copy. (Scanned before I cracked it out.) I wonder what book it's from?

mmc-4-b.jpg

I just noticed in the ad text that it says "fits 1948 models" so this back cover is definitely from a much later book.

I know how you feel. This book to me is so emotional. The allies rushing to help, the calm determination in Subby's eyes is so real, the girl seems terrified and surprised at the same time and I love the way Subby has the Nazi by the throat. It makes his eyes bulge in unexpected fear. I collect only early Schomburg for art like this.

Have fun with your new #4!

R.

This book was already posted in the "Someone show some GA Pictures from SDCC..Please!!" thread, but it really deserves to be here. It was once part of a bound volume & trimmed, but has great color and presents nicely...not to mention it made it affordable. I think this is possibly the single best GA Captain America cover ever done. What say you? :popcorn:

63194.jpg

This book was already posted in the "Someone show some GA Pictures from SDCC..Please!!" thread, but it really deserves to be here. It was once part of a bound volume & trimmed, but has great color and presents nicely...not to mention it made it affordable. I think this is possibly the single best GA Captain America cover ever done. What say you? :popcorn:

63194.jpg

I saw this book in SD when Bob got it...without a doubt, top 5 timely covers!