• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,084 posts in this topic

AllWinners7-1.jpg

paul, i have the 8 from this same collection; got the same little code and writing on it. i've got to go get it for the geekfest, and i'll try to remember to scan it to show you.

AllWinners7-1.jpg

paul, i have the 8 from this same collection; got the same little code and writing on it. i've got to go get it for the geekfest, and i'll try to remember to scan it to show you.

Sounds cool, do you know the provinance behind the collection? Please do post the book, would love to see it.

Paul

AllWinners7-1.jpg

Sounds cool, do you know the provinance behind the collection? Please do post the book, would love to see it.

Paul

here it is Paul; thanks to the 'net, they're back together after who knows how many years. i made it extra big so the writing could be seen really good.

aw8.jpg

Is it permissable to write something critical of Schomburg on this thread? His Timely covers are fun, but I think this pair shows how repetitive they could be. Virtually identical foreground and background layouts except that Torch has reversed direction. Torch diagonal from lower left to upper right, Toro to lower right, coastline(?) with the same angle on both, triangular land mass or something to upper left, aircraft parallel to Torch, scurrying soldiers all over the place, etc.

Take a look at the GCD thumbnail galleries

2-51 and 52-92

and I think you'll see how few cover layouts he used during the middle period of the run. Was he basically working from a template then filling in busy detail each month?

I know, I know. Schomburg was a god among cover illustrators, comic books are at best a repetitive medium, the covers did their job of enticing little Johnny to spend his time every month, I'm jealous because I don't own any, fill in your own epithet.

Was anyone else struck by this while looking at these covers side-by-side?

Jack

mmc3948.jpg

just in from Jay (jkrk)

thanks

gator

Is it permissable to write something critical of Schomburg on this thread? His Timely covers are fun, but I think this pair shows how repetitive they could be. Virtually identical foreground and background layouts except that Torch has reversed direction. Torch diagonal from lower left to upper right, Toro to lower right, coastline(?) with the same angle on both, triangular land mass or something to upper left, aircraft parallel to Torch, scurrying soldiers all over the place, etc.

2-51 and 52-92

and I think you'll see how few cover layouts he used during the middle period of the run. Was he basically working from a template then filling in busy detail each month?

I know, I know. Schomburg was a god among cover illustrators, comic books are at best a repetitive medium, the covers did their job of enticing little Johnny to spend his time every month, I'm jealous because I don't own any, fill in your own epithet.

Jack

mmc3948.jpg

just in from Jay (jkrk)

thanks

gator

Jack,

My ex-wife loved the first one she saw, but was bored to tears by them after about the third! (might be one of the reasons she's an ex!). In all seriousness, they absolutely are repetitive. And there are other complaints too, particularly in regards to perspective. But he had great subject matter (not just the heroes, but also the war), he had a great style (so clean and detailed, and also over the top), and he blended the two to perfection (if you like that sort of look). You don't mess with perfection. I am sure his repetition was one of the things that kept him working. Publishers knew what they were getting.

DC covers were not nearly as repetitive, but unfortunately that meant we were treated to Superman howling in pain because of Lois's hard biscuits, and Batman and Robin hopping around, brokeback style, on horses! Sometimes repetition is good!

My ex-wife loved the first one she saw, but was bored to tears by them after about the third! (might be one of the reasons she's an ex!)....

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!

Oh, you mean Schomburg covers?

Jack

2-51 and 52-92

Jack

mmc3948.jpg

just in from Jay (jkrk)

thanks

gator

Jack,

My ex-wife loved the first one she saw, but was bored to tears by them after about the third! (might be one of the reasons she's an ex!). In all seriousness, they absolutely are repetitive. And there are other complaints too, particularly in regards to perspective. But he had great subject matter (not just the heroes, but also the war), he had a great style (so clean and detailed, and also over the top), and he blended the two to perfection (if you like that sort of look). You don't mess with perfection. I am sure his repetition was one of the things that kept him working. Publishers knew what they were getting.

DC covers were not nearly as repetitive, but unfortunately that meant we were treated to Superman howling in pain because of Lois's hard biscuits, and Batman and Robin hopping around, brokeback style, on horses! Sometimes repetition is good!

hey hey, lets not attack Batman!