• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

Kingpin proto...there's a thought! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've read the YA #1 & #10. I think they are great. The art in the YA #10 is freakin amazing! I wish I had more raw Timely's so I could enjoy the insides too!

Timely

The art in the YA #10 is freakin amazing! I wish I had more raw Timely's so I could enjoy the insides too!

A facsinating statement. Have to ask you, Timely, have you read the majority of the books you now have slabbed? Or are their - pardon the pun - Marvelous Mysteries yet to be discovered?

I'm almost ashamed to include this on the same thread with all of Timley's beautiful books, but here is my latest Ebay win. It was priced right as it is missing a centefold or two - pages 8-11 of Murder brain. It currently has 54 pages inc. the cover, and that centefold would make 58. The cover advertises 60, so I suspect a missing "half-wrap" of the type Timelys are known for due to paper quota restrictions, but I can't figure out what it would be as no other story is missing pages, and the two page text quota is accounted for - maybe the editor miscounted the pages before going to press. If anyone out there has a coverless Cap 41 with at least cream pages, I am looking to buy. Even if I don't find one, the Schomburg cover was the main reason for this purchase.

462953-ca41.jpg

462953-ca41.jpg.604fa4e89d33c454a7e944d359c2af10.jpg

I'm almost ashamed to include this on the same thread with all of Timley's beautiful books, but here is my latest Ebay win. It was priced right as it is missing a centefold or two - pages 8-11 of Murder brain. It currently has 54 pages inc. the cover, and that centefold would make 58. The cover advertises 60, so I suspect a missing "half-wrap" of the type Timelys are known for due to paper quota restrictions, but I can't figure out what it would be as no other story is missing pages, and the two page text quota is accounted for - maybe the editor miscounted the pages before going to press. If anyone out there has a coverless Cap 41 with at least cream pages, I am looking to buy. Even if I don't find one, the Schomburg cover was the main reason for this purchase.

I suspect you are only missing one page. The "60 pages" probably refers to 56 interior pages plus 4 pages for the cover. They were printed as having 16 "sheets" (or 32 pages counting both sides) before the staple in the center and 12 sheets (or 24 pages counting both pages) after. (Sort of like the 52 page comics which were 48 interior pages and the 4 cover pages. Makes it sound like you are getting more for your money.) There were 4 "half wraps". If you have 15 pages before and 12 after, then one of the "half wraps" is probably missing (unless someone just tore out a page).

You can generally tell if it is a half wrap missing. There should be 4 of them. If you look at the back half of the book, you can see a thin sliver of paper at the spine . It may or may not be "glued" to the page before or after. Because it is such a thin piece of paper, a pull on the full side of the wrap can tear through the back side and the page can become loos. This happens often on books with spine rolls.

If it's because a page is torn out, you can usually see evidence if you look closely at the pages at the inside spine and see a corresponding jagged edge.

Hope this helps. It's a lot easier to explain if someone is showing it to you, than explaining it with just words.

ecfanman,

Thanks for the info, I guess I wasn't being clear, I was already counting the cover in the page count.

I know there is at least a full wrap missing, as I am short 4pgs. of story. By my estimation there should be two half wraps in a sixty page Timely. 14 wraps (including cover) times 4 pgs. equals 56 pgs., plus two half wraps times 2 pages equals 60 pgs. total. (Why Timely wouldn't just use 15 wraps total I don't know). This copy has only one half wrap, just before where the centerfold would be. It has just occured to me that instead of a centerfold, it could have had two half wraps in the middle of the book - thereby adding up to four half wraps, to be honest though I own a few Timely's I was not aware that was any consistency in the number of half wraps from book to book.

I need to double check, but I didn't notice any pages missing from the other stories, but I hadn't thought about the fact that a half wrap with maybe a couple of gag or puzzle pages could have been pulled clean out, leaving no trace of its existence.

I have always found 4 half wraps in Timelys, Nedors, DCs and other companys. They have always had the "missing half" on the back side from the staple. I believe this has to do with the printing/colating process. I also believe they occur in the "same" places. I'll try to look one up and let you know exactly where they are. Probably won't be able to do that until tomorrow as the wife and myself are going out after I get home from work.

By the way, how many pages are in the front half are there before you get to the staple where the centerfold is and how many pages are in the back half. Don't count the cover.

This thread is definitely missing the lovely books from West. It's sad to see it die. Good luck with the new job West. I hope to send a Timely in for you to grade soon. thumbsup2.gif

I hope it doesn't die, I would really enjoy seeing what Timely's you have in your collections! Thanks for all the well-wishes. thumbsup2.gif

West