• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

In terms of timely importance mmc9 is right up there. Unfortunately has fallen out of favor lately and unlike optimistic Ben, there are way too many timelys in demand for mm9 to crack the top 15 (purely demand) for me these days I'm afraid to say... Maybe again down the road, who knows

These are books id rather have than mmc9

Cap 1, 3, 46, 28,33 ,37

Marvel 1, mmc 40, 44, 46

All select 1,2

All winners 12

Human torch 12,13

Subby 12

USA 7,8

Etc

I can check off a few of those...

marvel40s1_zps92b1ac3e.jpg

sfMarvel44_zpsa101eb07.jpg

mmc46GOCopy_zpseba9dd3f.png

cap28_zps8d69139a.jpg

cap37_zpshmidy07w.jpg

allselect1_zpsd9df6a6e.jpg

SFallwinners12_zps13fd428b.jpg

In terms of timely importance mmc9 is right up there. Unfortunately has fallen out of favor lately and unlike optimistic Ben, there are way too many timelys in demand for mm9 to crack the top 15 (purely demand) for me these days I'm afraid to say... Maybe again down the road, who knows

Cap 1, 3, 46, 28,33 ,37

Marvel 1, mmc 40, 44, 46

All select 1,2

All winners 12

Human torch 12,13

Subby 12

USA 7,8

Etc

Subby 12?

I thought I was the only one jonesing for that one. :)

Also glad to see Subby 12 getting some respect as it's a great cover. Subby 11 was featured on the CBM issue way back in the day and is also a classic but Subby 12 is similar to AS 2 and doesn't show up that often.

Never got the appeal for MMC 9 myself, a beater will set you back 5-6 grand and the obnoxious text/word balloon sidebar just kills the cover appeal for me. (shrug)

Cap 1, 3, 46, 28,33 ,37

Marvel 1, mmc 40, 44, 46

All select 1,2

All winners 12

Human torch 12,13

Subby 12

USA 7,8

Etc

marvel40s1_zps92b1ac3e.jpg

sfMarvel44_zpsa101eb07.jpg

mmc46GOCopy_zpseba9dd3f.png

cap28_zps8d69139a.jpg

cap37_zpshmidy07w.jpg

allselect1_zpsd9df6a6e.jpg

SFallwinners12_zps13fd428b.jpg

I think I can guess your favorite! :D

Cap 1, 3, 46, 28,33 ,37

Marvel 1, mmc 40, 44, 46

All select 1,2

All winners 12

Human torch 12,13

Subby 12

USA 7,8

Etc

156133.jpg.5bfa644925e344d1b334423df72ae693.jpg

156134.jpg.f0232dc5e9892847e066c915c8731f7b.jpg

156135.jpg.80d7041e0d00976b73141f609b528294.jpg

156136.jpg.71ca5a79677776f3aca19a836c28730d.jpg

156137.jpg.e8b92f88bb96e341c7024686d72364f1.jpg

Cap 1, 3, 46, 28,33 ,37

Marvel 1, mmc 40, 44, 46

All select 1,2

All winners 12

Human torch 12,13

Subby 12

USA 7,8

Etc

I like the cap 1/3, all selects 1-2, USA 7-8 for sure. All due respect I can't get myself to like Cap 46 or MM 40/44/46. I still like the mm9 even if it has tanked. :). Rick, for years MM9 has always been one of those books that you would rarely see at a show on a dealers wall and had super demand. It's a tremendous Subby cover.

I agree that Marvel #9 is still a big boy's book and a top tier Timely. Lots of people want it but not too many people can afford it.

I think it went too expensive too fast. When I was upgrading copies the price really started to jump and that just pushed it up too high, too quick for the average person to afford.

And like you, I just don't understand the appeal for a Cap #46 or MM 40/44/46 over a MMC #9. I don't put them in the same ballpark as a MMC #9.

And like you, I just don't understand the appeal for a Cap #46 or MM 40/44/46 over a MMC #9. I don't put them in the same ballpark as a MMC #9.

I think this is an argument between the writers and the artists... story significance vs. visual excitement... Clearly many more books sport covers more interesting than Marvel 9..

I think this is an argument between the writers and the artists... story significance vs. visual excitement... Clearly many more books sport covers more interesting than Marvel 9..

I think MMC #9 has a superior cover to those other Cap and MMC books as well. (shrug)

Obviously it's just personal taste but I do believe for a lot of people MMC #9 is a grail book. Whenever I used to bring a copy to a show to show off people would fawn all over any copy I had saying it was one of their favorite books of all time but I don't ever remember anyone saying that about a later number MMC or Cap book. Like I said, I just think it's gotten so expensive that most of them just can't afford a copy anymore.

Cap 1, 3, 46, 28,33 ,37

Marvel 1, mmc 40, 44, 46

All select 1,2

All winners 12

Human torch 12,13

Subby 12

USA 7,8

Etc

I like the cap 1/3, all selects 1-2, USA 7-8 for sure. All due respect I can't get myself to like Cap 46 or MM 40/44/46. I still like the mm9 even if it has tanked. :). Rick, for years MM9 has always been one of those books that you would rarely see at a show on a dealers wall and had super demand. It's a tremendous Subby cover.

I agree that Marvel #9 is still a big boy's book and a top tier Timely. Lots of people want it but not too many people can afford it.

I think it went too expensive too fast. When I was upgrading copies the price really started to jump and that just pushed it up too high, too quick for the average person to afford.

My impress with respect to Cap 46 is that it has been a matter of a fairly recent recognition of just how striking (disturbing?) the cover is combined with the scarcity of available copies that has caused it to rise to the near the top of a lot of want lists.

Speaking of Cap 46, that's a sensational copy you have. Possibly an unrecognized pedigree copy?

Speaking of Cap 46, that's a sensational copy you have. Possibly an unrecognized pedigree copy?

It's possible as many pedigree's do not have markings...

I do think that Marvel #9 is a benchmark cover that typifies the Timely look. The previous early Marvel issues have a more pulp characteristic. Marvel 1 is a benchmark book as its the first Marvel comic and blends in some of the edge borrowed from the pulps. I remember a time when Marvel 1 overshadowed Action 1 in monetary and collectable value. Times change and what people deem valuable changes. In my opinion our visual sensibilities are often colored by nostalgic and

trophy like values. I don't think that Action 1 or Detective 27 or Marvel 1 or 9 carry the strongest covers, just significant ones.

Edited by sartre

I agree with Roy on the MMC#9. Back in the early days we saw a lot of big game hunting covers, cops and robbers stuff, guys parachuting in their suits, etc but this cover was grounding breaking as it pit two good guys [or semi good guys] against each other in an epic battle. And it is a glorious cover IMO.

I agree with Roy on the MMC#9. Back in the early days we saw a lot of big game hunting covers, cops and robbers stuff, guys parachuting in their suits, etc but this cover was grounding breaking as it pit two good guys [or semi good guys] against each other in an epic battle. And it is a glorious cover IMO.

I agree, I'm just saying some people including myself...(especially since CGC) put more emphasis on cover art now and there are more visually interesting covers than Marvel 9.

Edited by sartre

It's possible as many pedigree's do not have markings...

That's the Big Apple copy -- it has the "J" code.

And, having seen it in person, it most definitely looks like a pedigree!

I do think that Marvel #9 is a benchmark cover that typifies the Timely look. The previous early Marvel issues have a more pulp characteristic. Marvel 1 is a benchmark book as its the first Marvel comic and blends in some of the edge borrowed from the pulps. I remember a time when Marvel 1 overshadowed Action 1 in monetary and collectable value. Times change and what people deem valuable changes. In my opinion our visual sensibilities are often colored by nostalgic and

trophy like values. I don't think that Action 1 or Detective 27 or Marvel 1 or 9 carry the strongest covers, just significant ones.

I agree.

I've personally always been more a fan of the early pulp like Schomburg covers than the later cartoon type covers, and that mainly because it reminds me more of the dawn of those big, oversize GA comics and a publisher that hadn't yet found it's niche.

I agree.

I've personally always been more a fan of the early pulp like Schomburg covers than the later cartoon type covers, and that mainly because it reminds me more of the dawn of those big, oversize GA comics and a publisher that hadn't yet found it's niche.

I agree with Roy. I'll take this cover over those later MMC or Cap issues on the list anyday. Simplicity is the hallmark for me of GA greatness. Not business or visually interesting covers

And it is the only one I have on the "list" these days

Marvel%20Comics%201%20Chicago_zpsj5dbqg69.jpg

Looks like we're all pretty much on the same page with Schomburg's legacy. I'm a bit less inclined to place Paul's work above Alex's when it comes to comics, but I agree with Bill when it comes to Marvel Comics #1 being a phenomenal book of key importance.

To my artist's eye I'm very impressed with work which conveys action with a well defined center of interest. This is especially difficult to achieve when the featured stars aren't as interesting as the villains. That's why it's fascinating to look at the stylistic development of Schomburg's early work at Timely.

In 1940, Alex's first phase of work for the publisher displayed amazing line and crosshatch shading. His cover illustrations combined heroic rescue, bondage (in one case, molestation by idol) and a generally creepy atmosphere infused with crime/horror pulp influences. Schomburg's rendering to the main characters is arguably a little stiff, but I can't find fault with either example:

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg0d095e49-b0be-4c71-8907-85f57618f186_zpsf46f262f.jpg

Over time, Alex chose to utilize less detailed shading on his illustrations. Perhaps he grew more comfortable with Timely colorist(s), but for whatever reason, he simplified his inking technique which allowed cleaner color shading. Also, his depiction of the publisher's featured characters loosened up to become more recognizably stylized, resulting in fluid action compositions with fewer awkward poses.

During this phase two period Schomburg focused more on strong central characters. While backgrounds became busier they rarely overwhelmed the foreground action. This is probably my favorite period of his work. Most of the covers done from early 1941 through 1942 have strong action content without as many of the cartoony elements some of his later war illustrations relied on. Here are four examples:

5b2cb9db-39b6-48cb-b8b5-86d86184c0d9_zpsd717ccca.jpgba7ed08a-6500-430e-be7e-d3687d2108e3_zps76b0af3d.jpg

933a7ec6-98ff-4124-a4a7-b5a11ba9bcca_zpsd0f418f5.jpg6b16bdf5-ed3e-4e69-9e1b-eec5b75dacd4_zps672bbd8c.jpg

There was a point shortly after war was declared when Alex became Timely's primary cover illustrator with increased output to match. During this third phase his work became more streamlined as he relied a bit more on cartoony stereotypes and similar situations, but a number of classic covers pop-up during this period as well.

Around this time, most of the featured characters and villains were depicted with open mouths and outlined contact punches. Utilizing a wide array of action poses he was able to vary the scenes enough that even when war and home front scenes had similar settings they never felt repeated.

OTOH, during this period ('43 - '46) Alex's covers would often be so busy that it was visually a struggle to focus on the main characters. In spite of that, it didn't make the covers less interesting or artfully done. Two examples:

a1bce008-0753-4cd2-a4c9-bf3fe5349f28_zps803d72cb.jpgcaaa84d8-96de-4df3-b0a5-660406103146_zps43706943.jpg

Also, since the featured characters were larger than life he occasionally depicted them that way, perhaps as a counterpoint to his inclination to produce busy covers. Here are examples:

251fdfd8-1273-4dad-8a55-c1a9b1143caf_zps849e6c46.jpg8ddb6d72-84dc-4054-9366-43b7e0b7514f_zps97696c06.jpg

Alas, I don't have any good examples of his post '46 work when he dabbled in airbrushing color comic covers. At that point in time he started reducing elements in the background while adding airbrush shading for depth. Most of those cover illustrations were for Standard/Nedor and usually signed Xela.

Of course, any effort to place Schomburg's prodigious legacy in perspective is a monumental task. Also, I realize that praising his work in this thread is preaching to the choir, but for those on the fence about Alex's contributions to GA history it might offer a little context.

I agree.

I agree with Roy. I'll take this cover over those later MMC or Cap issues on the list anyday. Simplicity is the hallmark for me of GA greatness. Not business or visually interesting covers

And it is the only one I have on the "list" these days

Marvel%20Comics%201%20Chicago_zpsj5dbqg69.jpg

I like how there's no obnoxious sidebars on this one, nor the solid red banner logo taking over the top quarter of the cover as with the later issues. While the later covers might have been eye-catching on the stands with the big red banner, that's a whole lot of wasted space as far as the art.