• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

my fathers day present to myself... this one was hard to find in grade

I was wondering who ponied up for that one!

My kids certainly didn't.. I paid through the teeth...

And to think Harley offered to me last month for 40% less than it went for...that's why I didn't bid higher.

Wish he offered it to me....Arggggg.... Im not a dealer or dealer/collector...so I guess I'm entitled to be stupid at times...

there are two 9.4's and one 8.0 and then it goes to 2 6.5's..... If the two 9.4's never see the light of day as I believe... it will be hard pressed to find another in grade...Its one of the tougher golden age books to find, at least in my experience..

recently picked this one up for much much less....a bit more common but also a great cover...

:applause: Congrats on the 44 & 66!

Both are tough in grade! I settled for a 7.0 on the 66 and that's one of my all time favorite Schomburg covers. I did manage to compensate for it though... :cloud9:

05d686a8-7e34-4a85-ad36-2b86c5c913b4_zps5e90fcd3.jpg1b7d26ec-9af8-4973-9357-cbeff7627435_zpsb2ceb777.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the full frame into Photobucket editing without a bit of skewing. The IPad image resolution & lighting doesn't do this work justice.

Love the way Alex finished out the details in his gouache composition, inarguably one of the best Timely cover recreations. :luhv:

And to think Harley offered to me last month for 40% less than it went for...that's why I didn't bid higher.

Wish he offered it to me....Arggggg.... Im not a dealer or dealer/collector...so I guess I'm entitled to be stupid at times...

there are two 9.4's and one 8.0 and then it goes to 2 6.5's..... If the two 9.4's never see the light of day as I believe... it will be hard pressed to find another in grade...Its one of the tougher golden age books to find, at least in my experience..

You are correct. If I had of known you needed I'd have gotten for you.

You are correct. If I had of known you needed I'd have gotten for you.

You can run and you can hide, but Gator will not be denied! :ohnoez:

screen-shot-2015-03-11-at-11-37-41-am.jpg

Ben that's funny because I was thinking about doing the same thing myself. :cloud9:
I can't think of any other boardees other than me, you, Roy, and Billy that like the 9 as much as we all do. I have an 18 year history with the book so its slump the past 3-4 years is disappointing but not stopping me from owning a copy :)

Back into a 9 for the fourth time. I think a slow rebound will happen in the next year. Still a top 5 Timely for the true Timely collector. :)

D555C972-D926-43C5-87E0-8DADC2CB1974_zpsieo6tzic.jpg

Great book, Ben! When I grow up, I hope to be a true Timely collector. :sorry:

Back into a 9 for the fourth time. I think a slow rebound will happen in the next year. Still a top 5 Timely for the true Timely collector. :)

Jeff, based on your sig line you are a big boy Timely collector :)

:whee:

So, just curious, but what do you, and everybody else, think are the Top 5 Timely books?

Not ranked but:

MC #1

CA #1

MM #9

CA #46(?)

CA #3

So tough to have just five!

So, just curious, but what do you, and everybody else, think are the Top 5 Timely books?

Not ranked but:

MC #1

CA #1

MM #9

CA #46(?)

CA #3

that's a reasonable list but I would swap out the Cap 46 for an All Select 1. That's just me though.

recently picked this one up for much much less....a bit more common but also a great cover...

:applause: Congrats on the 44 & 66!

Both are tough in grade! I settled for a 7.0 on the 66 and that's one of my all time favorite Schomburg covers. I did manage to compensate for it though... :cloud9:

05d686a8-7e34-4a85-ad36-2b86c5c913b4_zps5e90fcd3.jpg1b7d26ec-9af8-4973-9357-cbeff7627435_zpsb2ceb777.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the full frame into Photobucket editing without a bit of skewing. The IPad image resolution & lighting doesn't do this work justice.

Love the way Alex finished out the details in his gouache composition, inarguably one of the best Timely cover recreations. :luhv:

Agreed, Cat.... I'd love to see it one day, I'm sure this original painting is better than any reproduction, Schomburg was amazing

Edited by sartre

Not ranked but:

MC #1

CA #1

MM #9

CA #46(?)

CA #3

that's a reasonable list but I would swap out the Cap 46 for an All Select 1. That's just me though.
Yeah, I would put the All Select 1 in the list but I was being all :shy::roflmao:

In terms of timely importance mmc9 is right up there. Unfortunately has fallen out of favor lately and unlike optimistic Ben, there are way too many timelys in demand for mm9 to crack the top 15 (purely demand) for me these days I'm afraid to say... Maybe again down the road, who knows

These are books id rather have than mmc9

Cap 1, 3, 46, 28,33 ,37

Marvel 1, mmc 40, 44, 46

All select 1,2

All winners 12

Human torch 12,13

Subby 12

USA 7,8

Etc

In terms of timely importance mmc9 is right up there. Unfortunately has fallen out of favor lately and unlike optimistic Ben, there are way too many timelys in demand for mm9 to crack the top 15 (purely demand) for me these days I'm afraid to say... Maybe again down the road, who knows

Cap 1, 3, 46, 28,33 ,37

Marvel 1, mmc 40, 44, 46

All select 1,2

All winners 12

Human torch 12,13

Subby 12

USA 7,8

Etc

Subby 12?

I thought I was the only one jonesing for that one. :)

I am thrilled that I own some of the books on your list. :cloud9:

Cap 1, 3, 46, 28,33 ,37

Marvel 1, mmc 40, 44, 46

All select 1,2

All winners 12

Human torch 12,13

Subby 12

USA 7,8

Etc

I like the cap 1/3, all selects 1-2, USA 7-8 for sure. All due respect I can't get myself to like Cap 46 or MM 40/44/46. I still like the mm9 even if it has tanked. :). Rick, for years MM9 has always been one of those books that you would rarely see at a show on a dealers wall and had super demand. It's a tremendous Subby cover. I really didn't think it would fall as much as it has. I still think it will cost someone at least $3k to get a complete copy, whether the demand is there or not. Perhaps it has hit a low end of the demand cycle.

Awesome reacquisition Ben!!!!! :golfclap: I love this book and mark my words I will someday join the prestigious MM9 club!!! :wishluck:

Awesome reacquisition Ben!!!!! :golfclap: I love this book and mark my words I will someday join the prestigious MM9 club!!! :wishluck:

thanks Gino! You are quite a savvy low grade collector (thumbs u