• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

I would *much* rather have a book as an 8.0 in a CGC slab than a 9.2 in a completely unreliable PGX holder.

You made the right call...

Yeah, I only buy PGXs when I can get them at a substantial discount. I then submit them to CGC. I do the same thing with CBCSs.

finally got around to moving this one out of a pgx slab; lost some grade, gained some cred.

mm12.jpg

The front cover looks nicer than an 8.0.

+1 The book looks 9.0 from the front. I know CGC is top of the market but I have always thought they grade to hard on 90% of Golden-age. I think as long as you have a 3rd party grade makes it nice to sell CGC/PGX/CBCS cant hurt for sales.

I feel for you. I recently had a PGX 9.4 come back as a CGC 8.0.

That cover is really fantastic! I feel your pain. I sent off a PGX unrestored 5.0 and it came back with restoration. The restoration is minor and I love the book but... :pullhair:

Lesson learned on buying PGX

That cover is really fantastic! I feel your pain. I sent off a PGX unrestored 5.0 and it came back with restoration. The restoration is minor and I love the book but... :pullhair:

I've managed to dodge that bullet but the PGX books I submit consistently come back with lower grades, even for books in the 3.0 to 4.0 range. Occasionally, the book comes back with the same grade. Not a huge sample here -- easily 20 books, though -- but pretty consistent results. Typically the pq ends up worse as well. None of the books came back with a higher grade and none with better pq.

I've managed to dodge that bullet but the PGX books I submit consistently come back with lower grades, even for books in the 3.0 to 4.0 range. Occasionally, the book comes back with the same grade. Not a huge sample here -- easily 20 books, though -- but pretty consistent results. Typically the pq ends up worse as well. None of the books came back with a higher grade and none with better pq.

CGC goes thru every page and spends time finding little things that add up IMO. Thus the lower grade. I have seen a lot of PGX books and some CBCS books and the both grade a little higher than CGC. I think that after 70 years you have to grade a little lose by not picking book apart for small things. I have seen CGC grade a Batman 2 5.0 or 5.5 that my buddy thought should be 6.0 and he sent it back and it got a 3.5 i saw this myself. Joey has a Sup 2 that looks better than my 6.0 and it got 4.5 so all the gradeing people get things wrong just my O.

Edited by woowoo

finally got around to moving this one out of a pgx slab; lost some grade, gained some cred.

mm12.jpg

Sorry that beauty took such a big hit getting re-holdered (FWIW, it does present better than 8.0). searching-019.gif

Alas, cred goes farther than crud for sure. That much grading discrepancy from PGX is just shameful.

I would *much* rather have a book as an 8.0 in a CGC slab than a 9.2 in a completely unreliable PGX holder.

You made the right call...

+1 :headbang: As I see it, there's just two 3rd party grading companies worth a second look and PGX ain't one of 'em (of course, mileage may vary, but I doubt it).

Ha Ha, my favorite Human Torch cover, in it all its grimy goodness, magnificent mildew and moldy magic. Thinking a conservation could britten it up a notch. No PGX holder for you!

Along with the Cap #27 in my sig line, adding a Sub-Mariner #11 would round out a Timely Big 3 of my favs from each.

image500b1.jpg

Do you take them out of the slab before sending to cgc? I have a pgx that I want to send, but I haven't looked into it yet. Thanks

Do you take them out of the slab before sending to cgc? I have a pgx that I want to send, but I haven't looked into it yet. Thanks

Some I sent to be pressed first, so the presser would have removed the book from the slab, pressed it, and sent it on to CGC.

Others I just sent directly to CGC still in their PGX slabs. At CGC, the books are removed from the slabs before the graders see them, so the PGX grade isn't known to them. I do include a note indicating that I would like them to remove the book from the PGX slab. I think someone mentioned once that a note of that type was necessary, but I don't know for sure that it is.

Ha Ha, my favorite Human Torch cover, in it all its grimy goodness, magnificent mildew and moldy magic. Thinking a conservation could britten it up a notch. No PGX holder for you!

Along with the Cap #27 in my sig line, adding a Sub-Mariner #11 would round out a Timely Big 3 of my favs from each.

image500b1.jpg

Great cover and the Cap #27 is one of the all time greats! :applause: