• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before and after pics of restoration

250 posts in this topic

I've tried to make every effort to be courteous with you. Since I've obviously failed in that endeavor, maybe I should be the one to inform you that you really need to quit with the self-aggrandizing and dispense with the unwarranted pretentious attitude towards others. Contrary to your uninformed opinion, not all of us are two year old toddlers playing in the science sandbox. Do me a favor and spare us your vitriolic reprimands; I know I've had my fill. I've never previously used the ignore feature, but I will give you credit for providing the incentive. Cheers.

No. Just an entire thread dedicated, not to how wrong every 'insufficiently_thoughtful_person' is applying the art, but rather a nice pictorial cookbook type discussion on how pressing and/or restoration is actually applied in a professional manner, with explicit emphasis on specific tools and methods. With no axe to grind, and allowing others to learn the proper way to do this stuff, rather than destroy countless books in their misguided journey. There are some pressers that mean well by chastising amateurs on the board, but I don't think that helps as much as actually 'showing' and not just 'telling' how do it right.

Do you mean the conversation I had with him?

I think it's pretty funny that: (a) on the one hand, you spend all of this time trying to figure out whether pressing has some miniscule effect on paper strength and you claim that your dislike of pressing is because you are worried that it might cause damage to the book, and yet (b) you congratulate this turd, MasterCPU, who is willfully destroying key books with amateur color touch, disassembly, needlessly marrying covers, and improper pressing. And because he showed you a picture of color touch under black light on a book that he DESTROYED, you are giving him kudos. Make up your mind - either you are morally outraged by people who harm books with unnecessary restoration or you aren't. You can't have it both ways.

Oh, and if you want to learn about restoration, try reading some of the ten thousand posts that I and others have shared over the years (including many long before you got here) in which we explain, oftentimes in great detail, how things are done and what they look like. And stop with the whining about the fact that people aren't lined up at your door to teach you all of the secrets that they spent time and effort learning. It's supremely irritating.

Hey FFB, I wanna be a lawyer. Can you pm me the answers to the Calif. Bar exam along with reciprocity license papers for NC?

Thanks in advance,

Sal

I would, but I am just having too much trouble typing through the tears after having been placed on ignore!

Short story on CT Id like to share from several years back.

We had a ASM collector in my area who was obsessed with high grade.

This was years before CGC at that time.

I went to a local shop in my area to do some trading. They asked if I knew this guy. I said yes, but I seldom see him. They commented that if I see him let him know the shop owner and employees are both looking for him. (They lived about 90 miles away from him.) I think they eventually filed a police report for fraud, but I am unsure how it turned out because it was across state lines. This was 15 years ago.

Seems he took several Black SA/BA ASM books and CTed them to up the grades. Now to him at the time it was perfectly fine because from his viewpoint he was improving the grades in his eye. Years later though when he sold them for a nice profit he didnt seem to care about the store he was ripping off by selling them color touched/restored books. It seems to apply here.

And you also offer a 'grading label' with your 'services'. And you can't even grade...

The following book is a 4.5 at best. And cover miswrap doesn't affect the grade. But you think this is a 7.0?! Get Robojo to sell your books and you'll be complete doh!

Ok so this just came in the other day and I will probably be off on this one because it looks really nice but has 2 big issues. I am thinking between 6-7.0 range.

Pros: FC looks nice. Lays flat, front is perfectly smooth and colors are bright and shiny. White pages.

Cons: Cover misrap, big crease on BC and little bit of Marvel chipping. Stain on BC to left.

The stain you see on the upper right is my scanner needs cleaning bad.

Scan0064.jpg

Scan0065.jpg

Maybe we can take up a collection and send him a Overstreet Grading Guide. I think that would be a first place to start. doh!

DRX

He'll never learn, a complete lost cause. He has no idea as to what he's doing and sees no problem in messing about with keys despite what people have told him.

The CT looks like he is using magic markers doh!

Fixed it for you (I don't see any "magic" in what he's doing).

He'll never learn, a complete lost cause. He has no idea as to what he's doing and sees no problem in messing about with keys despite what people have told him.

I would love to see a high resolution scan of the finished product and some shots of the interiors of the F and B covers.

I would love to see a high resolution scan of the finished product and some shots of the interiors of the F and B covers.

Are you sure you really want to see it. hm

DRX

Which one? AC 400 ?

Secret resto technique #1...

To remove stubborn wrinkles and get better results from pressing, completely submerge the comic in distilled water for 1 hour. Remove the book from the bath and place it in the press at 300 degrees for 45 minutes.

Remove the book from the press and spray a generous coating of spray starch on the front and back cover. Put it back in the press at 175 degrees for 30 minutes.

Serve with garnishes of parsley and lemon zest.

Feeds 2 people.

PS. This only works on key books valued at $500 or more. It will not work on common books.