• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ridiculously Rare DC Giveaways And Premiums
5 5

451 posts in this topic

Ian, do you know for certain that the seller was aware you needed it?

Yes because there was tons of stuff about this particular comic over on the Comics Price Guide forum. I just expected them to start it with a fair reserve of a hundred, to give everyone a reasonable chance of bidding on it.

Starting it out with a minimum reserve of a thousand just smacks of greed. The comic is just the six original issues stuck together (you can pick up all six for five bucks). The only thing that's unique is the cover.

Yea, it's greedy, but you didn't have to bid on it. I'm sure if you privately offered him $300, he would have sold it to you.

I hope I'm not repeating what others have already said (I'm responding as I read down the list), but Ian, if there are only three in the world and you need one, then it's "worth" whatever you and the seller agree on as the price. And if you are not willing to pay his price, then you can't have it. He doesn't have to sell you the book, and you don't have to complete your DC collection. But if you want to, then you may have to pay him whatever he wants for the book. Doesn't seem the least bit unfair to me, and I'm one of the guys who wants to see you make it to the finish line. But stop acting like you're entitled to get there for Christ's sake.

Believe it or not, I agree with you.

If I didn't then I would NEVER have met their starting price of $1000.

But that doesn't stop me from commenting on a forum ABOUT COMICS about how overpriced I consider their starting price to be, does it ???

When I posted that up, I ASKED for board members to give me their views, and your view is not only valid, I actually share it. I found myself bidding a thousand when I didn't want to do so, purely because I really wanted to secure the item.

Far from being entitled to get there, I find it a daily struggle, like running through treacle and never getting there.

Why wouldn't they sell it to you? Call them up. Pay them $1000. Get the book. Give BOC his $100. The end.

They don't work on Sundays.

I have already e-mailed them and asked if I may buy it. If it's already sold, I promise there will be not even be a murmour from me.

If it's already sold, I promise there will be not even be a murmour from me.

I already phoned in an offer of $500 but also the potential to do lots of future business with them, therefore committing to a long and mutually beneficial business relationship devil.gif I guess this is what gay marriage must be all about tongue.gif

And if I actually did, who can blame me knowing there is an obsessive DC collector paying $1000 for giveaways, I'd hold this until it's in your last 5 and then flip it to you for $5K or more when you are positively suicidal if you don't complete your quest devil.gif

If it's already sold, I promise there will be not even be a murmour from me.

I already phoned in an offer of $500 but also the potential to do lots of future business with them, therefore committing to a long and mutually beneficial business relationship devil.gif I guess this is what gay marriage must be all about tongue.gif

And if I actually did, who can blame me knowing there is an obsessive DC collector paying $1000 for giveaways, I'd hold this until it's in your last 5 and then flip it to you for $5K or more when you are positively suicidal if you don't complete your quest devil.gif

Yeah but what if Ian finds one somewhere else in the mean-time (possible since grade is unimportant), and you are then stuck with a book you don't really want, which you bought for a price you wouldn't normally pay ? makepoint.gifinsane.gif

Yeah but what if Ian finds one somewhere else in the mean-time (possible since grade is unimportant), and you are then stuck with a book you don't really want, which you bought for a price you wouldn't normally pay ? makepoint.gifinsane.gif

acc to Ian however, he is all about instant gratification and would rather go for the known quantity than wait patiently for another more practical solution. I would have no regrets as any gambling man would bet on Ian caving in... tongue.gif

Who can blame me knowing there is an obsessive DC collector paying $1000 for giveaways, I'd hold this until it's in your last 5 and then flip it to you for $5K or more when you are positively suicidal if you don't complete your quest

All American 89 is not a rare book. It was on e-bay back in December with a buy it now price of $895. I didn't buy it because I knew I'd find a cheaper one. Yes I agree I made a mistake, but there will be other copies. That is not the book to hold me to ransom over. It WILL turn up, as will Flash 43, All Funny 15, Adventure 70, Funny Stuff 37, Heart Throbs 66.

These are not rare books and I wouldn't pay over the odds for them. Buzzy 70 is different.

So go ahead and buy it and get stuck with it. $1000 is the absolute maximum I'd pay for that book.

I would have no regrets as any gambling man would bet on Ian caving in.

Boy oh boy did you pick the wrong book to bet on. If I was desperate I'd have already bought the one that was on e-bay for $895. Now WOULDN'T I ????????

Maybe you are just saying this to throw me off and to keep me from executing my dastardly plan? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifboo.gif

A pox on you and your DC's sumo.gif