• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

I'm still missing KC100. I saw that copy and didn't bid. There seems to be enough in lower grades that I am holding out for at least a nice mid grade or higher copy.

WOW! 304??? Thats pretty heavy for a 6.0! But you rarly if ever see copies of this book graded...Plus ts very hard to find mid to upper grade copies...So if you have a raw 6.0 ish copy now would be great time to get it graded and see where the auction ends.

Looks like a case of the buyer wanting it at any cost ... And another bidder only a little less gung ho. Don't know if it signals a market upswing. And i agree there must be other mid garde copies we will see as a result.

Just a few others from the latest JW auctions

Kid Colt 117 9.2 $405.00

Kid Colt 111 8.5 $205.01

Kid Colt 109 9.2 $455.00

Kid Colt 84 8.5 $117.50

Gunsmoke Western 73 7.5 $88.00

Gunsmoke Western 50 7.0 $113.50

Rawhide Kid 26 9.0 $483.00

Rawhide Kid 24 7.5 $311.00

Outlaw Kid 16 8.0 no bids

Apache Kid 53(1) 8.0 $114.50

These sales really show how focused collectors are on the Kirby issues. Atlas and non Kirby issues can still be had cheap in nice grades. Gunsmoke Western doesn't seem to get the respect of the main 3 titles. On a side note they are still way cheaper than other Marvels from this period which is a good thing.

Edited by BrianR

Until I got back into collecting and Kirby about 6-7 years ago, I didn't even know it existed. I wouldn't be surprised if its less popular simply because its not as well known as the big 3. The fact that the last issue was in '63 probably adds to the obscurity, since it didn't carry through the marvel explosion.

I collect them all, but I'd rather read a GW with a mix of characters and artists than an all Jack Keller KCO.

Just a few others from the latest JW auctions

Kid Colt 117 9.2 $405.00

Kid Colt 111 8.5 $205.01

Kid Colt 109 9.2 $455.00

Kid Colt 84 8.5 $117.50

Gunsmoke Western 73 7.5 $88.00

Gunsmoke Western 50 7.0 $113.50

Rawhide Kid 26 9.0 $483.00

Rawhide Kid 24 7.5 $311.00

Outlaw Kid 16 8.0 no bids

Apache Kid 53(1) 8.0 $114.50

I want to say this with delicacy because these may have been purchased by board members who are very happy with the books -- but was this the JW series of westerns that all suffered from heavy dust shadows?

that all suffered from heavy dust shadows?

CGC doesn't downgrade for dust shadows or foxing (which perplexes me) so from a CGC point of view, they're not "suffering".

But to answer your question, they're from the same group as the others.

Sweet! :headbang:

Newest member of my family.

RK28.jpg