• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang: Just won this off Ebay. This has been one of the hardest books for me to track down! And if I did see one it went wayyyyy to high in price for me. The whole its a Kirby monster cover blows it up all the time. Real nice to win a copy! Just need Two Gun Kid # 52 to have the run from (1/1960) # 50 up. Plus that is also the last Western issue I need to have them all (Marvels) from 1/1960 up.

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

twogunkid58.jpg[/img]

Edited by *Bronze age fan*

Not sure if you would be interested... I am in the process of getting my old personal collection in order to sell... It just so happens that I have three westerns... Gunsmoke #67 & #68 and Two-Gun-Kid #90... Let me know if you might be interested.

:applause:

Fantastic! Congrats Frankie!

What are you going to do after you pick up the TGK #52? Move into the Atom Age? Upgrade the 60s on up? Get into Pokemon and Beanie Babies?

lol Thanks! Other then the TGK # 52 I wanna pick up the 4 issues of Rawhide Kid I am missing for my set...Rawhide Kid # 2 4 5 8...and if I ever find a Kid Colt # 1 for a good price...but other then that thats it for Westerns...and I still have a pretty good list (110 books) of Silver Marvels I need....so I will hold offf on the beanie babies till then. lol

:applause:

Fantastic! Congrats Frankie!

What are you going to do after you pick up the TGK #52? Move into the Atom Age? Upgrade the 60s on up? Get into Pokemon and Beanie Babies?

lol Thanks! Other then the TGK # 52 I wanna pick up the 4 issues of Rawhide Kid I am missing for my set...Rawhide Kid # 2 4 5 8...and if I ever find a Kid Colt # 1 for a good price...but other then that thats it for Westerns...and I still have a pretty good list (110 books) of Silver Marvels I need....so I will hold offf on the beanie babies till then. lol

My mistake - I thought TGK was finishing off ALL the Marvels, not just the Westerns. Carry on! (thumbs u I'll be hobbling along behind you. lol

Rawhide Kid #44 • February 1965 • November 1964 newsstand

The Grand Comicbook Database says the cover may be Ayers (with a question mark) over Kirby. I am seeing far more brush control than usual for Ayers. I'm thinking maybe Sol Brodsky.

RK44FFeb65.jpg

Rawhide Kid was bi-monthly at this time and it gave Larry Lieber the opportunity to concentrate on his pencils and inks. A rather nice page from Stan's brother.

RK44LeiberArt.jpg

The prairie wind was arustlin' when I took this photo but the letter suggesting western/superhero crossovers is interesting ---- and it does show the world's shortest form of the Marvel Checklist.

RK44Letter.jpg

I think that's the most likely scenario. I've thought a lot about this cover myself. At first glance, it looks like a Kirby-esque Lieber cover, but certain elements, notably the texture of the rock, look unmistakably like his hand. The Kirby Checklist, whose team of expert compilers undoubtedly conducted in-depth research, lists it as Kirby pencils. I lean towards Kirby pencils and Lieber inks. Although I can't think of any other instances of that pairing, it may have been a last-minute decision.

Rawhide Kid #44 • February 1965 • November 1964 newsstand

The Grand Comicbook Database says the cover may be Ayers (with a question mark) over Kirby. I am seeing far more brush control than usual for Ayers. I'm thinking maybe Sol Brodsky.

RK44FFeb65.jpg

Rawhide Kid was bi-monthly at this time and it gave Larry Lieber the opportunity to concentrate on his pencils and inks. A rather nice page from Stan's brother.

RK44LeiberArt.jpg

The prairie wind was arustlin' when I took this photo but the letter suggesting western/superhero crossovers is interesting ---- and it does show the world's shortest form of the Marvel Checklist.

RK44Letter.jpg

Here's another look at it.

556226446_o.jpg