• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

Just expanded the date range for Rawhide Kid run....I think I bought these on the board. And they do have great covers! :headbang: I never heard back from Metro about the offer I made on the last 4 books I needed. I have never dealt with them. Maybe I should call them? (shrug)

What I've gleaned from the boards over the years is that the "Make Offer" function is mostly for show. They rarely respond and when they do, the best they'll offer is free shipping and only if it's a big ticket item.

Here's that Kid from Dodge City. It may not be an amazing HG copy, but it's a cool Atlas implosion book that I don't see often, plus I got it at lunch.

Yeah thats what I did...the make offer.. :tonofbricks:....figured that they would at least get back to me. Why would that even have that on there if they dont respond back? Its been a few days now...guess I am not getting a response either. :mad: The Kid from Dodge City comic is badass Bro! :headbang: i have never seen or heard of that one! :applause:

Not surprising - it only lasted 2 issues. lol

Thanks!

It has some of the best Don Heck art, IMO.

Here is my copy that I picked up in the early "wild west" days of Ebay. I think I paid something like $5 for it.

TKFDC_02.jpg

Just expanded the date range for Rawhide Kid run....I think I bought these on the board. And they do have great covers! :headbang: I never heard back from Metro about the offer I made on the last 4 books I needed. I have never dealt with them. Maybe I should call them? (shrug)

What I've gleaned from the boards over the years is that the "Make Offer" function is mostly for show. They rarely respond and when they do, the best they'll offer is free shipping and only if it's a big ticket item.

Here's that Kid from Dodge City. It may not be an amazing HG copy, but it's a cool Atlas implosion book that I don't see often, plus I got it at lunch.

Yeah thats what I did...the make offer.. :tonofbricks:....figured that they would at least get back to me. Why would that even have that on there if they dont respond back? Its been a few days now...guess I am not getting a response either. :mad: The Kid from Dodge City comic is badass Bro! :headbang: i have never seen or heard of that one! :applause:

Not surprising - it only lasted 2 issues. lol

Thanks!

It has some of the best Don Heck art, IMO.

Here is my copy that I picked up in the early "wild west" days of Ebay. I think I paid something like $5 for it.

TKFDC_02.jpg

Nice Everett cover, too. I've become a big Don Heck fan over the years. He did some really exceptional work, especially when he inked his own work. I still kick myself for not grabbing an early TOS page a few years ago when they could still be had for 500 or so. His work didn't begin to suffer until Stan started trying to force him into a house style....which was the way with most publishers in those days. Heck trying to be Kirby was never going to work. He did some real nice work at D.C. toward the end of his career....but he'd already picked up a reputation as a hack, which was sad, as it wasn't really his fault. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I believe is was Sci-Fi big mouth Harlan Ellison who dubbed Don Heck as the "worst comic book artist" in the pages of the Comics Journal. Ellison later recanted, but the damage was done. What a shame.

Edited by AtlasFan

Yup, it was him, I had that issue and as a kid read a lot of Ellison. What a schmuck! To publicly slam a person who is basically a colleague is incredibly unprofessional and lame beyond the pale. More importantly, Don Heck was a perfectly fine artist. His 50s horror covers are great!

I don't really have problems with him working in Marvel house style in the 60s. His work may not have been as dynamic as Kirby's but neither was anyone else’s. (Speaking of, I’ve never read any comments by Kirby saying anything less than favorable about Heck.) He was a good storyteller; a lot of modern artists lack the fundamentals Heck had.

I think he gets unfairly slammed because his thin-lined, Milt Caniff-esque style hasn’t been in vogue for some time, and because other inkers could really do his pencils a disservice.

Might be time for a Don Heck Appreciation thread!

Admittedly, some of Heck's later 70s & 80s work was nowhere near what it was in the 50s and early 60s. Its just a shame that his earlier work is lumped into this "hack" pigeon hole that was created by that Comics Journal article.

Lets face it, Jack's later stuff was pretty bad as well -- and called out in the Comics Journal at the time. However, its just one of those things that Jack is today remembered for his larger body of work, while Heck is not.

He did some real nice work at D.C. toward the end of his career....but he'd already picked up a reputation as a hack, which was sad, as it wasn't really his fault.

Admittedly, some of Heck's later 70s & 80s work was nowhere near what it was in the 50s and early 60s.

There seems to be quite a bit of disagreement as to when Don Heck did his best work.

Personally I really didn't like the look Don Heck gave to the Flash and Wonder Woman in the Bronze Age. For one thing their brows looked funny. Is that considered to be part of his "hack" period?

???

Edited by Hepcat

In addition to Heck's art not really fitting into the Marvel house style, and having a 1950's look ( cool now, but seemingly dated in the 1960s), like a number of artists, his best stuff was in the non-superhero genre. If my only exposure to George Tuska and Johnny Craig was their Marvel superhero work, I'd be less impressed by them as I am.

If Heck had spent the 1960s drawing war comics for DC, I'm sure he would be far more fondly remembered.

Just picked up Kid Colt #95...Its a dog! lol Well that gives me Kid Colt #88 1/1960 to #229 7/1979 complete! Nice to finish that off! One of the harder books to put together the run. And no I will not be looking for the first 87...Well maybe i will but a #1 if I see one for sale.

kidcolt95.jpg[/img]

Just picked up Kid Colt #95...Its a dog! lol Well that gives me Kid Colt #88 1/1960 to #229 7/1979 complete! Nice to finish that off! One of the harder books to put together the run. And no I will not be looking for the first 87...Well maybe i will but a #1 if I see one for sale.

Sweet! Congrats on finishing. (thumbs u My runs tend to expand; I wouldn't be surprised if some of the first 87 start to creep in to yours.

My western runs are much less ambitious than BAF's; the Kirby issues are my main focus but later and earlier issues always find their way into my short boxes, although I'm more inclined to go for the earlier ones.

I still have a few Kid Colts to go, but thanks to Rodan57, I finished my Kirby run on Two Gun Kid this week. :banana:

This isn't strictly the Kirby issues; I included everything on hand; and taking them out of the bags was too time consuming so forgive the glare.

th_TGK22.jpgth_TGK45.jpgth_TGK48.jpgth_TGK52.jpgth_TGK54.jpgth_TGK55.jpgth_TGK56.jpg

th_TGK57.jpgth_TGK58.jpgth_TGK59.jpgth_TGK60.jpgth_TGK61.jpgth_TGK62.jpgth_TGK63.jpg

th_TGK64.jpgth_TGK65.jpgth_TFK66.jpgth_TGK67.jpgth_TGK68.jpgth_TGK69.jpgth_TGK70.jpg

th_TGK71.jpgth_TGK72.jpgth_TGK73.jpgth_TGK74.jpgth_TGK75.jpgth_TGK78.jpgth_TGK83.jpg

th_TGK88.jpgth_TGK90.jpgth_cgcTGK64.jpgth_cgcTGK66.jpgth_cgcTGK69.jpgth_cgcTGK72.jpg

Sweet! Congrats on finishing. (thumbs u My runs tend to expand; I wouldn't be surprised if some of the first 87 start to creep in to yours.

I DO NOT even look for the first #87...i would have to stumble upon the #1 if i ever bought it! I have seen books that were right before #88 for sale...I have really put it into my mind thats 1/1960 is as far as i wanna go back. I just hope that holds up! lol. And Thanks Bro! Nice to finish runs out! :cloud9: Real cool Two Gun Kid scans! I still need #52 and 58 for my 1/1960 up run. #58 has been going for crazy prices for rag copies too.

I DO NOT even look for the first #87...i would have to stumble upon the #1 if i ever bought it! I have seen books that were right before #88 for sale...I have really put it into my mind thats 1/1960 is as far as i wanna go back. I just hope that holds up! lol. And Thanks Bro! Nice to finish runs out! :cloud9: Real cool Two Gun Kid scans! I still need #52 and 58 for my 1/1960 up run. #58 has been going for crazy prices for rag copies too.

You are probably aware of this, but the TGK #58 is in demand from pre-hero monster book collectors the same way Rawhide Kid #22 is. They're both very cool crossover books with a lot of demand and tough to find.

Nice collection of TGK!

I was under the impression that Kirby only drew the SA TGK from #60-62 (at least the insides), did he do more pages?

Covers and stories 54, 55, and 57-62; covers only on 48, 56, 63-65, 67-72, 74-76.

54,55,and 57 all are loaded with Severin interiors too. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You are probably aware of this, but the TGK #58 is in demand from pre-hero monster book collectors the same way Rawhide Kid #22 is. They're both very cool crossover books with a lot of demand and tough to find.

I know that far to well. But i have seen a ton of Rawhide Kid #22 compared to the Two Gun Kid #58. Maybe its a rarer book. :pullhair:

I've been following them for 15 years or so. I've seen more TGK 58s than Kid Colt 100 or 107s. RK 22 was impossible for a while, but has popped up with more frequency over the past 5 years.

Kid Colt #100 was real tuff....Till I had one...then I saw a bunch of them turn up...And I always had in my mind that they were tuff...So I would always bid on them..I think I have 3 copies now. (All rags) lol Same thing with Two Gun Kid #60...I always low ball on those too. But since I have been looking I dont see TGW #58 being sold at all. (shrug)