• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Do you care if a comic has been pressed?

Do you care if a comic has been pressed?  

1,227 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care if a comic has been pressed?

337 posts in this topic

Lets say you have a book and a piece is torn off. 1. you can get an expert to restore it and do their magic of whatever they do with fibre and glue and such or 2. you could just add a piece of tape. Wouldn't 1. be restoration and 2. preservation.

They're both restoration.

2. is such an amateur attempt that CGC doesn't even call it restoration by giving it the purple label, they just sometimes note it on the label. I've also seen a low-grade book where someone used scissors to cut one side of the book off to make it look straighter, but they did it with two snips that didn't exactly line up. CGC didn't call that "trimming" either, I guess since like tape using scissors is so amateur and easy to spot that there's not much value in their evaluation of it as restoration.

Does anyone else see the dfference between restoration and preservation?

Yes, but pressing isn't preservation. Preservation is when you do something so that the book stays in its current form; pressing is returning the book to a previous form. Pressing isn't conservation, either, as that's making a change to keep the book from getting even worse, such as by removing some acidic tape, or sealing a tear so that it doesn't keep getting worse.

So....pressing is restoration. Correct?

I think pressing is a FORM of restoration that is not viewed on negatively just because you are removing a flaw and putting it back to a previous condition.

Yes I would like to know if a comic has been pressed or not because we don't know the long term effects pressing has on comics.

may I ask who told you this???

He may just be confused. The long-term effect of various pressing methods is well-known; restoration of paper, including pressing, has been done for hundreds of years. What he may be referring to is that the effects that pressing will have on the market value itself are unknown, because if reliable and cheap methods of detecting some forms of pressing ever become mainstream and a basic service performed by CGC, then the market value of pressed books could drop dramatically.

Oh sweet Jesus doh!

Which way did he vote?

Jesus was way cool. He could've turned every comic book into a 10.0 if he wanted. Jesus was way cool.

He could have smote pressing threads, too.

Then I vote for making Jesus a moderator! (thumbs u

Yes I would like to know if a comic has been pressed or not because we don't know the long term effects pressing has on comics.

Curious CAL hm

Do you know or can you point us to anyone that knows the effects that pressing has on books. You also have to account for professional pressing vs non professional and the steps taken in the process. Its also my understanding that this type of pressing of books is pretty recent developement so we don't know as of yet the long term effects it may have which in the end could be none but we don't know.

Oh sweet Jesus doh!

Which way did he vote?

Jesus was way cool. He could've turned every comic book into a 10.0 if he wanted. Jesus was way cool.

Thanks, I should be damn it!

He may just be confused. The long-term effect of various pressing methods is well-known; restoration of paper, including pressing, has been done for hundreds of years. What he may be referring to is that the effects that pressing will have on the market value itself are unknown, because if reliable and cheap methods of detecting some forms of pressing ever become mainstream and a basic service performed by CGC, then the market value of pressed books could drop dramatically.

Talking about the long term effects it may have on the book physically. I was under the impression that this was not known for comic books. I would think that if not done properly you are drying the book further in which the book would become more brittle.

My policy on the issue has remained the same.

I 100% do not care if the book has been pressed nor do I care if the seller discloses the information or not to me at the time of purchase.

However, I have enough respect for the views/opinions of the collectors on these boards and in the comic community in general to make it my business to disclose if the book has been pressed when I sell a book.

(Not sure what comiclink will do if I sell through them though? (shrug))

I would like to make everyone happy.

The reason I an encourage sellers alike to just disclose is it makes you that much more moral,reliable, and honest in the comic world.

The facts are disclosing pressing will not cost you the money value of selling your book, as I sold my latest books here and on eBay very easily while disclosing which ones have been pressed.

Oh sweet Jesus doh!

Which way did he vote?

If this were Catholic school, would pressing become the new masturbation?

So....pressing is restoration. Correct?

Yea. So is wonderbreading. So is plicking off a booger. The severity and acceptibility of different types of restoration is up to any of us to decide. Personally, I think I'm fine with all non-additive, reversible forms of restoration.

Some types of pressing and dry-cleaning are not reversible, but most are. If they take the gloss off or damage paper fibers, then you've permanently altered the book and it's not reversible. However, these things are probably only detectable under microscopic analysis, and the cost of using this detection method seems as if it's prohibitive. And even if you detect it, most forms of pressing could have been done by non-deliberate means, meaning that it's just circumstantial evidence and not proof of anything. Is gloss or fiber damage due to a dry press, or due to a stack of books sitting next to a space heater? Could have been either in most cases, so in addition to being expensive, pressing detection has huge limits on what you can prove.

Oh sweet Jesus doh!

Which way did he vote?

smitten.

:shy:

I beg to differ on this. Newsprint as cheap and crappy as books from the 60's and 70's has not been around long enough to know the long-term effects. Similarly, no one has studied the effects of pressure, heat, and moisture on inks from these periods over time. And just because the original printing presses generated heat on fresh paper and fresh inks, doesn't mean that pressure, heat, and moisture will have the same effect on decades old cheap paper and cheap ink.

We've all seen a dramatic example of what can happen when pressing goes awry in a certain other thread. I have to imagine that mistakes in applying heat, pressure and moisture are made along a continuous gradient, and that all mistakes are not obvious. Maybe some may show up somewhere down the road. I'd love to see some definitive data..

I beg to differ on this. Newsprint as cheap and crappy as books from the 60's and 70's has not been around long enough to know the long-term effects. Similarly, no one has studied the effects of pressure, heat, and moisture on inks from these periods over time. And just because the original printing presses generated heat on fresh paper and fresh inks, doesn't mean that pressure, heat, and moisture will have the same effect on decades old cheap paper and cheap ink.

You stop right there sir, you're starting to make too much sense. (tsk)

We've all seen a dramatic example of what can happen when pressing goes awry in a certain other thread. I have to imagine that mistakes in applying heat, pressure and moisture are made along a continuous gradient, and that all mistakes are not obvious. Maybe some may show up somewhere down the road. I'd love to see some definitive data..

Moondog (Gary) is funding his own private study on the long term effects that pressing has on comics.

R.

I would think that if not done properly you are drying the book further in which the book would become more brittle.

Anything done improperly can have an infinite number of negative effects on a book. When properly done, pressing is an accepted form of restoration that professional conservationists actively use.

The only way I've heard of to make pages artificially age and perhaps go brittle is through some kind of extended "cooking" technique. There was a Batman 11 documented in the forums a few years ago that underwent this technique that raised CGC's awareness of it. Someone had trimmed the sides of the book, artificially aged them, and then resubmitted without CGC's detection since they use color differences to detect most trims.

I beg to differ on this. Newsprint as cheap and crappy as books from the 60's and 70's has not been around long enough to know the long-term effects.

What are you basing this upon? All I'm doing is relaying what I've repeatedly read from professional conservationists. They regularly press paper documents of many types. The two active university-trained conservationists doing comic book restoration, Tracey Heft and Susan Cicconi, both certainly think pressing is safe--have you discovered something new? (shrug)