• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Do you care if a comic has been pressed?

Do you care if a comic has been pressed?  

1,227 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care if a comic has been pressed?

337 posts in this topic

Yes I would like to know if a comic has been pressed or not because we don't know the long term effects pressing has on comics.

We also don't know the long term effects of a comic being in a CGC case!

And if you think a book doesn't get "manipulated" when it's in the grading process, you better think again.

Some books get x-rayed (what do you think that does) to see certain types of resto. Then the sealing process through vaccum wrap and PRESSING into the internal mylar.

While this is how I feel, I would only let a VERY certified Pro do it. Not some backyard BBQ turned into a pressing machine. I think that needs to be stated. There is a difference in Joe Blow and say, a Pro like Matt doing it.

Just my very opinionated 2c:grin:

Yes I would like to know if a comic has been pressed or not because we don't know the long term effects pressing has on comics.

You do realise a book is pressed and heated when it is printed. IIRC I still see some books for the 1930's in high grade slabs. Did not appear to have too negative of an effect on those books.

Books are also trimmed when they are printed. :devil:

You do realise a book is pressed and heated when it is printed. IIRC I still see some books for the 1930's in high grade slabs. Did not appear to have too negative of an effect on those books.

Some are even phantom trimmed years later. :whistle:

Now, I don't care who ya are, that there's funny. lol

only if i had found out that the 24K i spent on a book, was a $1500 book the month before. :odoh!:slapfight:

You can't care if you don't know. ;)

I still think adding one more itty-bitty sticker could end most the bickering and level the field. :idea:

Or not. :insane:

request.jpg

Now, I don't care who ya are, that there's funny. lol

+1

only if i had found out that the 24K i spent on a book, was a $1500 book the month before. :odoh!:slapfight:

I still think adding one more itty-bitty sticker could end most the bickering and level the field. :idea:

request.jpg

Never happen

I do care if it was pressed - not that it would impact my decision, but I rather not know. If it isn't restoration then don't tell me - otherwise I would always feel differently about the book (why I don't knw) - with that said if down the road I end up pressing something (which again I am not oppossed to) I would disclose - wierd I know

request.jpg

Never happen

Never? :cry: Maybe in a million years? (shrug)

request.jpg

Never happen

Never? :cry: Maybe in a million years? (shrug)

Never! :sumo:

I do care, I would rather know, but like the rest of the flock I have become inured to the activity and resigned to its entrenchment within the hobby. To the extent that I only ask about it with the big books.

Not only have I READ this entire pressing thread...I even kept it going by posting. I'm very disappointed in myself. :makepoint::tonofbricks:

If you press yourself you will feel better by about 2 points lol

While this is how I feel, I would only let a VERY certified Pro do it. Not some backyard BBQ turned into a pressing machine.

I dunno... those grill marks are always good lookin'! Now, pass the sauce!!!

dunce.gif

-slym

I beg to differ on this. Newsprint as cheap and crappy as books from the 60's and 70's has not been around long enough to know the long-term effects.

What are you basing this upon? All I'm doing is relaying what I've repeatedly read from professional conservationists. They regularly press paper documents of many types. The two active university-trained conservationists doing comic book restoration, Tracey Heft and Susan Cicconi, both certainly think pressing is safe--have you discovered something new? (shrug)

Just raising the possibility that, like every other scientific or pseudo-scientific (and I don't mean that as an insult) field, the experts don't already know everything, especially when not enough time has passed to study something longitudinally.

My point here is this-- for the most part, until recently, primarily GA books have been pressed. The paper quality on GA is tremendously better than BA books, which are, largely, being pressed in significantly quantities for the first time. Who the heck knows what will happen to such crappy paper 10-20 years down the road after being pressed. And don't try to compare comic paper to letter paper, book paper, or other higher grade pulps. There's a world of difference. I've yet to see Tracey, Matt, or Susan C. show anyone an academic study that says there are no long term effects on cheap or super-cheap newsprint.

And I don't mean that as an insult. I would honestly like to see that kind of research.